Ovechkin is on FIRE

JagerMeister

Hmm..Ovie for the Rocket?

Could be...but just hang on there, he will have some stiff competition the rest of the way, as some other snipers have been heating up a bit as well.....especially one in Tampa, by the name of Stamkos.  ;)

In the meantime though, i will say this:

post-1129-0-02999200-1422821932_thumb.jp

Hmm..Ovie for the Rocket?

Could be...but just hang on there, he will have some stiff competition the rest of the way, as some other snipers have been heating up a bit as well.....especially one in Tampa, by the name of Stamkos.  ;)

In the meantime though, i will say this:

Ovi has 31 goals to Stamkos 27. Sorry, good ol canadian boy aint winnin Rocket Richard this year

Ovi has 31 goals to Stamkos 27. Sorry, good ol canadian boy aint winnin Rocket Richard this year

I'm aware of the goal totals, but ummm, we still have quite a bit of season to go and Ovechkin, just like any other sniper, will have his ups n downs...just so happens he is having his a bit now.

Stamkos really hasn't had a complete "up" just yet, and I have a hard time believing he will stay that way all year.

It's not like Ovie's lead is so huge that it is a laugher, ya know.

I acknowledge that Ovechkin has a very good shot at the Rocket, but he is far from a lock....and not just because of Stamkos.

Others like Seguin, Nash, Kane, Pavelski...all those guys in the upper group of scorers this year.

Any one of them could go on a tear as well.

I'm aware of the goal totals, but ummm, we still have quite a bit of season to go and Ovechkin, just like any other sniper, will have his ups n downs...just so happens he is having his a bit now.

Stamkos really hasn't had a complete "up" just yet, and I have a hard time believing he will stay that way all year.

It's not like Ovie's lead is so huge that it is a laugher, ya know.

I acknowledge that Ovechkin has a very good shot at the Rocket, but he is far from a lock....and not just because of Stamkos.

Others like Seguin, Nash, Kane, Pavelski...all those guys in the upper group of scorers this year.

Any one of them could go on a tear as well.

You have a point, but Ovechkin has the biggest chance of getting it IMO. After all, he did win it last year and the year before.

• 3 weeks later...

RE: Rocket Richard

Well, looks like both Nash and Ovechkin have created some separation in the Rocket Race....

Ovechkin now has 37 goals, Nash 35 goals.

Next closes pursuers...Joe Pavelski 31, Steve Stamkos 30.

Granted, Pavelski and Stamkos still have a shot, but they still haven't been "on a tear" like I figured they would...but some games left to close the gap and overtake for those two.

Tyler Seguin, sadly for the Dallas Stars and his fans, is out with injury, so he is out of the Rocket Race....he sits with 29 goals.

@JagerMeister

Your Ovechkin prediction may come true yet....but I will hold out hope Stammer can catch fire himself and snag that Rocket at the last minute. :)

RE: Rocket Richard

Well, looks like both Nash and Ovechkin have created some separation in the Rocket Race....

Ovechkin now has 37 goals, Nash 35 goals.

Next closes pursuers...Joe Pavelski 31, Steve Stamkos 30.

Granted, Pavelski and Stamkos still have a shot, but they still haven't been "on a tear" like I figured they would...but some games left to close the gap and overtake for those two.

Tyler Seguin, sadly for the Dallas Stars and his fans, is out with injury, so he is out of the Rocket Race....he sits with 29 goals.

@JagerMeister

Your Ovechkin prediction may come true yet....but I will hold out hope Stammer can catch fire himself and snag that Rocket at the last minute. :)

Stammer still has time, there is like 20 games left

Interesting article on Ovechkin in today's Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/02/20/ex-caps-assistant-says-bruce-boudreau-was-handcuffed-in-how-he-could-handle-alex-ovechkin/

“I’m just growing up,” Ovechkin said in December. “I get mature, I get older, I look at a game a different way right now. I’m pretty sure you guys can see what I did wrong and what I did right.”

“We weren’t allowed to handle him the way we wanted to handle him,” Woods said. “We didn’t have that luxury. Trust me – things could have been different there. We wanted to be [tougher], but weren’t allowed to. It’s the NHL, though. You have these superstars and they have too much control.”

“I’m just growing up,” Ovechkin said in December. “I get mature, I get older, I look at a game a different way right now. I’m pretty sure you guys can see what I did wrong and what I did right.”

HA!   Once a cherry picker, always a cherry picker....there is no magical get out of jail card here, he's selfish, consistently puts himself and his stats ahead of the team winning...exactly the type you "don't" want to build a team around.

HA!   Once a cherry picker, always a cherry picker....there is no magical get out of jail card here, he's selfish, consistently puts himself and his stats ahead of the team winning...exactly the type you "don't" want to build a team around.

Oh come on Jammer, give the guy a break!!!

He is playing a better all around game in trots system...Although, he could only be doing it because he has to.

Oh come on Jammer, give the guy a break!!!

He is playing a better all around game in trots system...Although, he could only be doing it because he has to.

He should have been doing that all along. He had to do it,he wouldn't do that and the coaches convince him to do it.

He should have been doing that all along. He had to do it,he wouldn't do that and the coaches convince him to do it.

Maybe, maybe not...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/24/trotz-says-ovechkin-was-given-some-bad-advice-in-how-they-wanted-him-to-play/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

In particular, Trotz — a guest today on Sportsnet’s Hockey Central — doesn’t believe Alex Ovechkin has received the best guidance over the years.

“There was some bad advice given to Ovi at times, in how they wanted him to play,” he said. “Ovi is a guy that will do what you ask.”

Maybe Trotz is just defending his guy but combined with what the Caps former assistant coach said it definitely sounds like Ovechkin was handled very well in the past.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived