should hexy do detroit and tampa bay's model of building?

briere48

should hexy build after detroit and tampa bay team models? they have alot of european players, i think if hexy wants to win a cup, i really think he should go after european players in the draft and fa. it's not i have nothing against americans/canadians, im just going by what's making these teams successful.

i mean you look at jake voracek, he's a european, he's from czech like jagr was, if this team has more guys like him, this team might be successful for years.

what's your opinion?

The Kings cup winning team had a total of three players NOT from North America. Two were Kopitar and Gaborik but still. Just three.

The Rangers had 4.

The Black Hawks had 7 players not from North America the year before. Everyone is important (and none more than Hossa), but none of their names were Kane, Toews, Duncan, Sharp, Seabrook, or Crawford. Just saying.

The Bruins had 8, they lost.

I think the European thing is fairly ridiculous, since you asked for an opinion. And Tampa hasn't won a Cup in 11 years and won't this year.

The Flyers have six non-North Americans on their roster, not counting Timonen. So they aren't out of line with the "winning teams."

The lesson the Flyers should be taking from these teams isn't nationality--or any other crazy irrelevant criteria. The lesson is: skate an NHL defense (preferably an above average one).

I don't think the formula is so much "European" for Tampa Bay and Detroit, though certainly, they have quite a number of them on their teams, but rather, the fact that both teams have built from within, have shed some cement shoes contracts and have shied away from making any blundering signings (at least really big ones) that hold the team back from making future ones.

And also, they have both been quite smart about WHEN to do extensions, and for how long on certain young players to keep things cost effective while they make decisions on who to keep longterm.

And some other interesting notes on both TB and Det that could be useful for Flyers fans: Both the Bolts and Wings moved guys TOGETHER through the minors (the Crunch/Admirals and Griffons respectively), THEN got either head coaches, assistant coaches, or other behind the scenes personnel that KNEW these players very well and are helping to get the most out of thema the NHL level.

Then of course, you have solid and consistent goaltending that has helped both franchises along as well.

Following that business model, ANY franchise can do well...however, first things first....Flyers are, as the fans know, in some salary/cap vs production trouble.

First order of business would be to somehow, someway alleviate that, then see about getting that consistent goalie (Mason is good, but seems to spend too much time with an injury of one sort or the other, and of course, Emer is NOT the answer)....after doing those things (tough with the mess Holmgren left them), should they want to follow the model set forth by the Red Wings/Lightning or something similar, they just may set themselves up for longterm future success.

But both Det and TB, especially the Lightning recently, have taken their lumps in order to get to the point they have.

Flyers are taking their lumps now.....key will be for them not to make knee jerk reactions for quick fixes, otherwise their current problems will linger that much longer.

I don't think the formula is so much "European" for Tampa Bay and Detroit, though certainly, they have quite a number of them on their teams, but rather, the fact that both teams have built from within, have shed some cement shoes contracts and have shied away from making any blundering signings (at least really big ones) that hold the team back from making future ones.

And also, they have both been quite smart about WHEN to do extensions, and for how long on certain young players to keep things cost effective while they make decisions on who to keep longterm.

And some other interesting notes on both TB and Det that could be useful for Flyers fans: Both the Bolts and Wings moved guys TOGETHER through the minors (the Crunch/Admirals and Griffons respectively), THEN got either head coaches, assistant coaches, or other behind the scenes personnel that KNEW these players very well and are helping to get the most out of thema the NHL level.

Then of course, you have solid and consistent goaltending that has helped both franchises along as well.

Following that business model, ANY franchise can do well...however, first things first....Flyers are, as the fans know, in some salary/cap vs production trouble.

First order of business would be to somehow, someway alleviate that, then see about getting that consistent goalie (Mason is good, but seems to spend too much time with an injury of one sort or the other, and of course, Emer is NOT the answer)....after doing those things (tough with the mess Holmgren left them), should they want to follow the model set forth by the Red Wings/Lightning or something similar, they just may set themselves up for longterm future success.

But both Det and TB, especially the Lightning recently, have taken their lumps in order to get to the point they have.

Flyers are taking their lumps now.....key will be for them not to make knee jerk reactions for quick fixes, otherwise their current problems will linger that much longer.

ok sure yes i understand, that makes alot of sense. thanks for the input. coming from a flyers fan, you have a great hockey team and seriously good luck to you all to try to win the cup.

ok sure yes i understand, that makes alot of sense. thanks for the input. coming from a flyers fan, you have a great hockey team and seriously good luck to you all to try to win the cup.

Well, you know, from a developmental standpoint, it certainly wouldn't hurt the Flyers organization from doing more scouting in the European leagues.

Canada and the US will still produce some very high quality impact players, but the European market is just as viable a place to get players.

It would be silly for an organization to "go all European, or Canadian, or American", but a good balanced scouting report from all three should serve a team like the Flyers, or anyone else for that matter, quite well.

Used to be, you only got secondary players from Europe, and if you wanted impact players from there, you looked at Russians, but these days, not anymore.

Leagues like the KHL, Swedish, Czech, and Finnish Elite leagues have closed the gap significantly in terms of talent from the North American NHL, AHL, and Juniors leagues.

And if scouting staffs do their jobs, they can find very good players, and impact ones, in Europe as they would in North America.

TFG,

I don't know how much is enough, but with non drafted players like Raffl and Bellemare, and drafting players like Hagg, it's not as if the Flyers are NOT scouting in Europe.

I appreciate your posts; you always make a tremendous amount of sense. But this thread is a bit goofy.

The Kings cup winning team had a total of three players NOT from North America. Two were Kopitar and Gaborik but still. Just three.

The Rangers had 4.

The Black Hawks had 7 players not from North America the year before. Everyone is important (and none more than Hossa), but none of their names were Kane, Toews, Duncan, Sharp, Seabrook, or Crawford. Just saying.

The Bruins had 8, they lost.

I think the European thing is fairly ridiculous, since you asked for an opinion. And Tampa hasn't won a Cup in 11 years and won't this year.

The Flyers have six non-North Americans on their roster, not counting Timonen. So they aren't out of line with the "winning teams."

The lesson the Flyers should be taking from these teams isn't nationality--or any other crazy irrelevant criteria. The lesson is: skate an NHL defense (preferably an above average one).

The last all Canadian team to win the Cup was the Flyers Just Sayin.

TFG,

I don't know how much is enough, but with non drafted players like Raffl and Bellemare, and drafting players like Hagg, it's not as if the Flyers are NOT scouting in Europe.

I appreciate your posts; you always make a tremendous amount of sense. But this thread is a bit goofy.

LOL....ok.

But you know, I was thinking, those scouts that got sent to Germany and/or France...perhaps if they had gotten tickets to Finland and Sweden instead....hehe.

As for the All Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup as @Phlyer1 alluded to....well, if you want to wait another 30 years or so, maybe the Flyers will get the formula right once again with all Canadian players...... :ph34r:

LOL....ok.

But you know, I was thinking, those scouts that got sent to Germany and/or France...perhaps if they had gotten tickets to Finland and Sweden instead....hehe.

As for the All Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup as @Phlyer1 alluded to....well, if you want to wait another 30 years or so, maybe the Flyers will get the formula right once again with all Canadian players...... :ph34r:

Yeah, but that was about the last time even the Flyers were all Canadian.

I'm not arguing against Europeans. I'm saying the Flyers ARE doing that. All the teams are. I'm also saying that given recent successful teams' makeups (shown above) that it is NOT a separating factor.

Again, the topic is a bit silly to me.

The thing they should do that they do is not RUSH prospects!!!!!!! I always hear d/men become good d/men about the age of 25. So send them to play a lot with Phathoms bring up for injury guys next year only!!!!!!!! We need to keep Schultz Luke McDonald only if we can't trade him and MDZ 2 yr contract with out giving him a NTC! Coburn and Grossman most go! So we need a scoring LW,a back up goalie and 2 d/men. FA or other wise. 

should hexy build after detroit and tampa bay team models? they have alot of european players, i think if hexy wants to win a cup, i really think he should go after european players in the draft and fa. it's not i have nothing against americans/canadians, im just going by what's making these teams successful.

i mean you look at jake voracek, he's a european, he's from czech like jagr was, if this team has more guys like him, this team might be successful for years.

what's your opinion?

It doesn't matter where the players are from, it matters if they fit your system and can they handle and play their roles within that system.

Get the system in place then get the players to run it. Where they are from doesn't matter.

what's your opinion?

Detroit lets their players develop. They pick the types that will fit in and don't rush them. If an injury occurs they can plug a guy in from their farm who fits right in to their system. 

Tampa has done a good job building a team, but the best job they did was suck when Stamkos came up 1st overall. Getting Hedman 2nd overall wasn't bad either. And going forward, neither was getting Drouin 3rd overall. Or trading a bag of pucks for Bishop. Or signing Johnson as an undrafted FA. Kucherov is having a good season.That's 2 Canadians, 2 Americans  a Swede and a Russian. They've had 11 Canadians play on their team this year and 7 Americans....

Canada just won Olympic gold....again. And WJ gold. 10 of the top 20 NHL scorers are Canadian 3 are American. The defending cup champs are made up of mostly North Americans. 

You build a team with the best players available. 

It's been ten ears since Tampa has won a cup and 7 since Detroit has.

They're frequently decent teams, but not sure that's a "model" at this point.

Tampa traded their captain and second best player and got better. That's kind of impressive though.

what's your opinion?

Archived