Objects in mirror.. 3 team race for Easts final spot heats up

yave1964

477489099_slide.jpg

A few weeks ago it looked like it was a lock in the East, eight in, eight out, jockeying for position be it playoff position or draft order. But a lot has changed.

THe Bruins have thudded back to Earth and have no cap room to make a move without moving salary out, so a trade is difficult. Meanwhile, the two teams closest, the Panthers and the Flyers while not exactly reminding anyone of the Eighties Oilers or Isles are playing well enough to make it a race.

Boston A 55 28 20 7 63 26 144 141 +3 17-9-4 11-11-3 2-5 4-5-1 Lost 3 9

Florida A 55 24 19 12 60 19 135 153 -18 12-8-6 12-11-6 5-8 4-4-2 OT 1 10

Philadelphia M 56 24 22 10 58 22 151 162 -11 15-7-4 9-15-6 2-6 6-1-3 Won 1

Boston has a 3 point lead over the upstart Panthers and a five point lead over the suddenly hot Flyers but cracks are showing. They have played more home games than any other team, look old and tired and slow, and very much in danger. The Flyers are relying on two solid lines, Simmonds has heated up to go along with top line studs Voracek and Giroux and Emery has been solid in relief of the injured Mason.

Florida, meanwhile has been getting some solid play from kids Huberdeau, Barkov and one of my favorites, Nick Bjugstad who has turned into the heart and soul of the team. Young Ekblad is playing like a ten year vet and Luongo is still giggling over playing back in south Florida a year later.

Gonna be an interesting race to the finish. Nick+Bjugstad+Florida+Panthers+v+Dallas+

Although the top 8 teams DID look like they were locked into place, I always felt the Florida Panthers still had an outside shot at bumping either the Bruins, Rangers, or Capitals from the final spot.

Well, since the Rangers (even without Lundquist) and Caps seem to be grabbing points consistently, I think the odds of Florida catching them are pretty slim to none now....but that leaves the Bruins who are NOT consistent.

That said, here is the problem for Florida: They--simply--don't--score--enough!!!

I saw this happen with the Minnesota Wild some seasons ago under Jacque Lemaire and Todd Richards....the team seems to have a two goal cap on production.

Just this month alone, throwing out the aberration 6-2 win over the Ducks, as impressive as that was, the Cats basically have either scored 1 goal, been shut out, or hit that magic 2-goal max....oh yea, they managed a 3-2 win over the Kings this month..

You can take that further back and see, pretty consistently, they fall right around that 2 goal mark...maybe grabbing  a third goal once in a while via the shoot out.

Luongo certainly helps keep many pucks out, but even he will be hard pressed to continually get wins for his team if they aren't providing him with any room for error on a game by game basis.

Will it help the Panthers to make a trade at the deadline to acquire a goal scorer? Not sure. At what cost? They actually have a nice team chemistry going....albeit one that doesn't produce enough goals.

Again, like those old Minnesota Wild teams (and dammit, sometimes even this NEW Minnesota Wild team :blink[1]:  ), they can generate the scoring CHANCES...but making good on them seems to be a whole different story.

So I will say the Panthers, based on Luongo, their young talent, and their very good work ethic, have a shot a possibly bumping a team like Boston....but man, for that to happen, Florida really, REALLY needs to do better than 0,1, or 2 goals a game...and Boston would have to continue to be inconsistent with the point-getting.

I am actually rooting for Florida to bump Boston.

It's a selfish reason really.

If the Bolts finish with the top seed in the East (very possible), they play the lowest Wild Card...and right now that looks to be either Boston or Florida if they sneak in.

I know Boston isn't what they used to be, but gosh darn it, for reasons that are sometimes downright mystifying, the Bolts just have trouble dealing with that team....seeding be damned, I think Boston would still have to be favorites against TB if they meet in the 1st round...crazy as that sounds.

TB vs Florida? Now..that is a different animal. I won't call a Florida Panther team that had enough to bump Boston "easy"....but let's just say I certainly like the Bolts chances in the 1st round against them over those against the Bruins, eh?

If the Bolts end up in second or third place, their likely opponent is either Montreal, or more probable, Detroit...and no offense, @yave1964 , but I DO like the Bolts chances against the Habs (Montreal did NOT see the Bolts' best last season during that sweep), AND the Red Wings. ;)

So yea...here is hoping the Panthers can bump the Bruins and leave the bears on the outside looking in........  :thumbsu:

@TropicalFruitGirl26

I like the Bolts against the Wings as well, I am a realist and know that the skill level of the Lightning is among the very best in the game. As long as Bishop plays his game and the Lightning get another defenseman that is.

Off topic but to me Bishop is the key to the Lightning season. He has not done it come postseason yet, if he plays like he can then the Lightning are among the toughest outs in the game. To me teams can beat the Bolts by getting in his head with shots and getting physical.

But back to the topic, your right with the Cats and their lack of scoring. But Boston looks beatable so it would be great to see some new blood.

@yave1964

Ben Bishop will HAVE to be present and playing well for the Bolts to have a chance...and I think Yzerman somehow will come up with a defenseman at the deadline...quality, yet to be determined however.

I must say though, should Bishop NOT be ready, I feel much more comfortable with Andrej Vasilevskiy this year as his backup than I did with Anders Lindback last season.....of course, I would NOT want to put that to the test....it simply has to be Ben Bishop if the Bolts want a serious run at the Cup.

Back to the race for 8th in the East:

In examining the rest of February for each of the three teams in question (Boston, Florida, Philadelphia), we have this...

Boston Bruins

@ Calgary

@ Edmonton

@ St. Louis

@ Chicago

home vs Vancouver

@ New Jersey

home vs Arizona

Florida Panthers

@ Toronto

@ Montreal

@ Ottawa

@ Pittsburgh

@ Chicago

home vs Chicago

home vs Buffalo

Philadelphia Flyers

home vs Columbus

home vs Buffalo

home vs Nashville

home vs Washington

@ Carolina

@ Toronto

home vs NY Rangers

The Flyers seem to have a 'smoother' path through the rest of the month....not to mention, playing more games in the comfort of their own arena.

Florida will find themselves road weary by month's end....only to come home to the Blackhawks, right after playing them in Chicago.

Boston has that always tiring trip through Western Canada that ends with a road game in Chicago...but then have a relatively soft finish against the Devils and Coyotes.

Based on schedule for the rest of this month, the Flyers seem to have the advantage in both home games and quality of teams played.

Still though...will the Flyers actually maintain their recent good play? Can Ray Emery and the defense really be counted on to see the team through the rest of the month?

We already mentioned the Panthers have scoring issues...and not having last change on the road for the bulk of their games won't help them any....and outside of the Sabres, and possibly the Leafs (if the Leafs have truly been neutered), the Cats face some VERY good offenses.

Boston's vets will have to deal with the travel and rugged play of the Flames and Blues...and the underrated physicality of the Canucks and Blackhawks as well.

As you said, yave.....will be an interesting finish.

I feel much more comfortable with Andrej Vasilevskiy this year as his backup than I did with Anders Lindback last season..

Totally agree TFG, despite only appearing in a handful of games, I think it's blatantly obvious that Vasilevskiy has a much stronger skill set than his predecessor Lindback. He had his first poor outing the other night....but to be expected. I love Bishops size, anticipation etc, but Andrej is gonna give him a run for his money. Stevie Y can now sit back, see who wins the job next fall in training camp....it should be Bishop, but if Andrej keeps pushing Ben...we could see a Winnipeg situation form rather quickly...as most know, Hutchinson and Pavlec rotate in and out for every game. In a lot of ways, that is taking things to far....if a goalie stands on his head and gets the W...he should start again. I've seen games where Hutchinson had 40 saves and a shut out to boot....and wham...right back to Pavlec.

[quote

name=TropicalFruitGirl26' timestamp='1424113142' post='223292]

Can Ray Emery and the defense really be counted on to see the team through the rest of the month?

No...but Robb Zepp might  :ph34r:

We already mentioned the Panthers have scoring issues...and not having last change on the road for the bulk of their games won't help them any....and outside of the Sabres, and possibly the Leafs (if the Leafs have truly been neutered), the Cats face some VERY good offenses.

Another factor, their offense is basically built around youth, Barkov, Huberdeau, Hayes......the playoff push in conjunction with the road trips, I don't think those kids are used to playing so many games, and each one a physical war/playoff atmosphere type of must win. Barkov has actully picked it up of late, but I really do seeing him wilting down the stretch run, his body is not big enough for the type of rigorous  test that he will soon be living. Either way though, it's a great experience for them...they will start the process of learning the physical price you must pay for playoff success.

• 2 weeks later...

@yave1964

@jammer2

Don't look now, but I think we may need to add Ottawa to this little mix of teams pushing for the final playoff spot in the East.

They just passed up the Flyers last night, are only two points behind Florida for 9th, and only 4 points behind Boston now...and are red hot behind the goaltending of The Hamburglar, Andrew Hammond, and timely steady scoring from the likes of Erik Karlsson, Mike Hoffman, and Bobby Ryan.

Really though, the whole team just seems to be doing everything right.

I think they now have just as much of a shot as both Fla and Phi to catch the inconsistent Bruins.

@yave1964

@jammer2

Don't look now, but I think we may need to add Ottawa to this little mix of teams pushing for the final playoff spot in the East.

They just passed up the Flyers last night, are only two points behind Florida for 9th, and only 4 points behind Boston now...and are red hot behind the goaltending of The Hamburglar, Andrew Hammond, and timely steady scoring from the likes of Erik Karlsson, Mike Hoffman, and Bobby Ryan.

Really though, the whole team just seems to be doing everything right.

I think they now have just as much of a shot as both Fla and Phi to catch the inconsistent Bruins.

I'll add this: not only are the Senators only two points behind Florida, but the they have two games in hand. Based on percentages, the Sens should catch the Panthers.

And, call me a homer if you like, but the Sens are easily playing the best hockey of any of the four teams in question at the moment.

And, call me a homer if you like, but the Sens are easily playing the best hockey of any of the four teams in question at the moment.

They looked good vs the Jets last night, and not just their goalie. After they withstood the Jets opening assault (Jets are a very good 1st period team, they always come out flying), they played a very fine road game, matching the Jets for hits and pace and winning a lot of puck battles. They looked good for sure.

Crazy week for the Panthers, First they lost Luongo to injury then they lost his backup Montoya in the same game, forcing the team to try to activate the goalie coach as an emergency goalie, even having Derek Mckenzie, a fourth liner trying to slap some equipment on in the locker room while Montoya was in agony on the ice, ("the last time i played goalie was against a bunch of kids during the lockout.') before Luongo rushed back from the hospital to finish the game. At one point Gallant even considered playing the entire third period without a goalie.

Well they recalled Dan Ellis a former NHLer with a largely forgettable career who went 0-5-1 with the Panthers after the Stars dumped him in the Tim Thomas deal last year. It looked like it was over for the Cats in their quest to steal a spot from the more experienced Flyers/Bruins.

Ellis has not been great, but he has been okay, they lost his first game 4-3 in a shootout and last night faced the red hot Islanders with things looking Bleak. Ellis again was not spectacular but he was solid, defeating the Isles 4-3 in a shootout. Now they have 4 days off without a game until Thursday to rest up, quite a few of the forwards are among the walking wounded like most other teams right now. The Panthers are optimistic about the chances of Bobby Lu coming back on Thursday so they managed 3 of 4 points with a washed up mediocre goalie in net.

@WordsOfWisdom

We're coming for ya!

LOL. :lol: Leafs are going to mess everything up with a red hot March. I'm guessing the Leafs finish the season 10-0-0 and bring themselves up to 11th in the east. The teams in front of them in the standings are only a few points ahead, and nobody is motivated to win right now other than Ottawa and Florida.

@WordsOfWisdom

It's not like that isn't their M.O. almost on a yearly basis. But I don't think that team has the heart to go 10-0, 

I do however have faith that as long as they don't win the lottery (meaning get the no-brainer pick) that they may well select  the wrong guy 4th or 5th  It'll be tough, cause there are plenty of great players in this draft. But a guy like Kylington seems to be dropping llike a rock...I could see him being their guy.

Picking top ten in this draft, should be pretty hard to screw up though.

@WordsOfWisdom

It's not like that isn't their M.O. almost on a yearly basis. But I don't think that team has the heart to go 10-0, 

I do however have faith that as long as they don't win the lottery (meaning get the no-brainer pick) that they may well select  the wrong guy 4th or 5th  It'll be tough, cause there are plenty of great players in this draft. But a guy like Kylington seems to be dropping llike a rock...I could see him being their guy.

Picking top ten in this draft, should be pretty hard to screw up though.

From Leafs management: Challenge accepted!  :lol:

Archived