• Jacques Lemaire
    • Glenn Anderson
    • Sergei Zubov
    • Theoren Fleury
    • Pete Mahovlich
    • Rick Tocchet
    • Bernie Federko
    • Other

Mark Recchi: three cups over three decades. Over 1500 points and a 4th rounder at that. 

Not saying he made those around him better, but he definitely is an all around great HOF player. 

Definitely a great player, i dont think anyone thought that he would end up with 1500 points lol. He actually has a couple of records, oldest player to record 5 points at 41 year old and the oldest player to score in a stanley cup finals goal at 43 :) But IMO there are a few i would pick over him. Savard, Salming, Modano, Oates, Zubov. Maybe roenick, fleury, goulet as well

I can't believe I'm typing this, but have to go with Salming. He played at a very high level for a long time. He was playing in an era where Potvin, Montreal's Big 3 + Langway and Engblom btw....Bobby Orr was around for the first 4 years of his career......he was not winning the Norris with those superstars around...although I do believe he could and should have won the award if not for the great players in his era.

Honourable mention to Rick Tocchet....when he was in his prime, one of the best wingers in the game. Awesome combination of speed, skill and toughness if there ever was one!

Mike Modano

Modano's credentials stand out: Hall of Famer; 561 career goals and 1,374 points that are tops among U.S.-born players, a Stanley Cup in 1999; and a member of a seminal group of Americans who won the inaugural World Cup of Hockey in 1996 over one of the best Canadian teams of all time.

Mike Modano

Modano's credentials stand out: Hall of Famer; 561 career goals and 1,374 points that are tops among U.S.-born players, a Stanley Cup in 1999; and a member of a seminal group of Americans who won the inaugural World Cup of Hockey in 1996 over one of the best Canadian teams of all time.

Agreed it has to be Modano, just a great player who is arguably the greatest player from the USA ever. Hated him with the Stars but wow could he play. Salming would be my number two, he won zero awards, IMHO because of the prejudice against Euros at the time, @jammer2 mentioned Orr and the Hab greats, Salming deserved a Norris award in 1976-77 and again in 1979-80 but the Don Cherry mindset was prevelant. I still go with Modano as the best non award winner but the one who deserved one and was frankly cheated was Salming.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but have to go with Salming. He played at a very high level for a long time. He was playing in an era where Potvin, Montreal's Big 3 + Langway and Engblom btw....Bobby Orr was around for the first 4 years of his career......he was not winning the Norris with those superstars around...although I do believe he could and should have won the award if not for the great players in his era.

Honourable mention to Rick Tocchet....when he was in his prime, one of the best wingers in the game. Awesome combination of speed, skill and toughness if there ever was one!

I agree with you, i think Salming is probably the second best european defenseman. Just behind Lidstrom.

Agreed it has to be Modano, just a great player who is arguably the greatest player from the USA ever. Hated him with the Stars but wow could he play. Salming would be my number two, he won zero awards, IMHO because of the prejudice against Euros at the time, @jammer2 mentioned Orr and the Hab greats, Salming deserved a Norris award in 1976-77 and again in 1979-80 but the Don Cherry mindset was prevelant. I still go with Modano as the best non award winner but the one who deserved one and was frankly cheated was Salming.

Mike Modano was one of those very consistent players, Kind of like a Mats Sundin except worse offensively but better defensively, i mean the guy never hit 100 points. So i think i would pick Adam Oates and Denis Savard over him. Oates had a 142 point season after he left St Louis Blues(the team Brett Hull was in) While Hull didnt do as good after Oates left with, dropping from 70 goals to 50. Oates also has 2 90 assist seasons. Arguably the greatest playmaker not named Lemieux, Gretzky or Orr.

Really, im just curious why someone would pick Modano, not trying to be an ass. Is it cause he is the greatest american forward of all time? I think that says more about the lack of superstar american forwards....

is there anyone i should add on the list?

• 4 weeks later...

Did Kent Nilsson ever win a trophy....if not, I switch my vote to him.

Im not sure Kent Nilsson was better then some on like adam oates. But to answer your question. He do not win any awards. Certainly an underrated player, wasn't called the magic man for nothing.

Gil Perreault won two individual trophies but neither of them should count. He won the Calder (only competing against rookies so not THAT hard) and the Lady Byng (shouldn't count because it just shouldn't).

Easily one of the most electrifying players I've ever seen.

Gil Perreault won two individual trophies but neither of them should count. He won the Calder (only competing against rookies so not THAT hard) and the Lady Byng (shouldn't count because it just shouldn't).

Easily one of the most electrifying players I've ever seen.

Sorry, every single award counts. On this thread anyways...

Archived