Good article on "the tank"

Podein25

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fun read but I don't know how big a deal it really is. Personally, as one of those hockey fans he writes about, "I could care less" if Buffalo tanks. Seems like the smart thing to do in their situation, and nobody is forcing the other teams to actually trade for Buffalo's players. Nobody is driving a bigger tank these days than the 76ers, and as a fan of the team I'm fine with that too. Excited even. Relegation would never work without massive revenue sharing. Phoenix can barely keep their team as it is, does anyone really think the people who are not supporting the NHL team would support an AHL team in its place?

If the NHL wants to tweak the lottery system I don't have a problem with that either, I just think some people get too wrapped around the axle on this issue.

Good article but it makes me laugh. Teams do this every year. It's what makes deadline day so interesting. It's been happening to some extent or another for decades. And this author writes like it's something to be stopped. Lol

What kind of dog and is he for sale?

He's the white husky in my avatar. He could be for sale but it's gonna cost you. Even more for you since you're "one of them".

Edit: He hates Crosby so keep that in mind.

He's the white husky in my avatar. He could be for sale but it's gonna cost you. Even more for you since you're "one of them".

Edit: He hates Crosby so keep that in mind.

Hmm... He and I may have to discuss some guidelines before any serious offers can be made. I'll avoid Crosby and politics...

I don't get it. There's nothing about a lunch conversation in this article at all!

How are you supposed to arrange a tank without a lunch conversation!?!?

:ph34r:

They all said the required "We didn't actually try to throw games. But, you know, we went in there with the understanding ... we weren't going to be upset if we lost."... So now we can show them the Water Buffalo Lodge's secret handshake!

Ack, Ack, A-Dak!

Yeah. But I guess some teams' fans are more comfortable with tanking than others :ph34r:  

Is it just me or does it seem like the team whose fans are least comfortable with tanking (at least when other teams are doing it) plays in a city in Canada that regards itself as the center of the hockey universe?

Is it just me or does it seem like the team whose fans are least comfortable with tanking (at least when other teams are doing it) plays in a city in Canada that regards itself as the center of the hockey universe?

They don't want the competition I guess. Also, you've clearly never met someone from that place if you think they confine their insufferalbility to just the hockey universe. My daughter was just in Cuba and she said it was 90% Canadians (no surprise) at the resort. It was perfect in every way, she said, except for the people from that place.

They don't want the competition I guess. Also, you've clearly never met someone from that place if you think they confine their insufferalbility to just the hockey universe. My daughter was just in Cuba and she said it was 90% Canadians (no surprise) at the resort. It was perfect in every way, she said, except for the people from that place.

I have met people from "that place", but I've met even more people from New York (including members of my own family). It's all relative I guess.

It's all relative I guess.

It is. And it's important not to generalize. One of my favourite people in the whole world is from "that place" - she hasn't lived there for quite sometime, so that might have something to do with it, but still...

"The Neuvirth trade (the second time this year Buffalo has dealt its starting goalie) is proof every league in the world needs a relegation system EQUALLY WEIGHTED DRAFT LOTTERY SYSTEM FOR TEAMS RANKED 17-30 to keep it honest."

"And while we usually land somewhere between laughing at and encouraging the tank, that’s its essential problem – honesty. It turns everyone it touches into a liar IMPACTS THE INTEGRITY OF THE GAME IN THE MOST NEGATIVE WAY POSSIBLE, REWARDS TEAMS FOR LOSING (something the NHL is very familiar with), AND PUTS THE FOCUS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE STANDINGS, NOT THE TOP."

Fixed. The author is on the right track, but he's ten years behind me. I already posted the solution to this problem long ago, on various forums. In fact, I posted about five different solutions to this problem right here last month, went for coffee, had a dump, and then started working on a cure for cancer. I mean really. If only life's problems were as simple to resolve as the problems the NHL creates for itself. :rolleyes:

Archived