Nice win over the Blues

brelic

480064697_slide.jpg

For 45 minutes or so, it looked like we just wouldn't be able to get any sort of offensive game going. The Flyers dump and chase. The Blues carry it in. I'm really tired of watching dump and chase hockey.

I think Rinaldo's strong game kickstarted the team and the fans. There was a sequence early in the 3rd where his line was on, and Rinaldo made a few nice hits that got loud cheers from the crowd, and that line sustained some pressure. It's like everyone else came alive. Not long after, Del Zotto scored on a rocket.

Mason was excellent again. And it was good to see G and Voracek reunited. 

Was MacDonald this bad in NY? I just can't imagine any scouting that would have seen this guy play suggest that he be given a long term contract. It's midboggling. He's just sooooo tentative, constantly bobbles the puck, and puts his teammates in tough spots with bad passes.

Streit redeemed himself after a bad 1st period.

So, once again the Flyers beat a legitimate Stanley Cup Contender.

I'm going on Saturday. Should be a barn burner!

It should be but one thing that I have observed about this year is that they only come out with this fire to beat good teams at home.  On the road they seem to wilt.  I wish you the best @brelic with your experience there.

It should be but one thing that I have observed about this year is that they only come out with this fire to beat good teams at home.  On the road they seem to wilt.  I wish you the best @brelic with your experience there.

Yes, their home/away records stand in stark contrast, don't they? 

This is a strange team.

Then hopefully Boston will wilt at home too and give them a chance. The Sens play tonight against Buffalo , are sitting pretty just one point back with 3 games in hand.. They won 6 consecutive games plus one point in OT. Catching up to Boston is one thing.............. I'm a Sens hater, being a Flyers fan and living in Ottawa,. I will be at that game next Sunday Flyers vs Sens . right behind our players bench! :)

I think Rinaldo's strong game kickstarted the team and the fans. There was a sequence early in the 3rd where his line was on, and Rinaldo made a few nice hits that got loud cheers from the crowd, and that line sustained some pressure. It's like everyone else came alive. Not long after, Del Zotto scored on a rocket.

Is this a serious comment i didn't watch anything but the highlights.

Man Streit looked horrible on that first head up his ass turnover up the ice but what was worse he had a chance to redeem himself before the passed across in his face for the tap in....but he **** the bed on that. Streit made Mcdud look like a Norris canidate on that defensive...stright up disappointed in his defensive play lately.

Is this a serious comment i didn't watch anything but the highlights.

Yes it is :) I thought he had a strong game yesterday, and there was a noticeable shift in the game after that particular sequence early in the 3rd. The building and team came alive.

Yes it is :) I thought he had a strong game yesterday, and there was a noticeable shift in the game after that particular sequence early in the 3rd. The building and team came alive.

If Rinaldo played a part in getting the team motivated and capture the Win,  I begin to fear him in the line up Saturday. When he finally plays smart, it seems to go to his head and his low IQ resurfaces and he just plain sucks. He usually returns to being the  detriment that he usually is to the team.. Here is hoping I am wrong

Then hopefully Boston will wilt at home too and give them a chance. The Sens play tonight against Buffalo , are sitting pretty just one point back with 3 games in hand.. They won 6 consecutive games plus one point in OT. Catching up to Boston is one thing.............. I'm a Sens hater, being a Flyers fan and living in Ottawa,. I will be at that game next Sunday Flyers vs Sens . right behind our players bench! :)

And we'll be watching for you.  You will be wearing Flyers gear, correct?

Yeah, Rinaldo's 8:20 TOI was spectacular :ph34r:

Haters gonna hate..... :ph34r:

Seriously though, I am with truefan21 in hoping it does not go to his head and he stays the course instead of making boneheaded moves like everyone knows he is capable of. I still think that Vinny is a better option paired with Bellemare and Vandevelde but there is something to be said for the energy that Rinaldo's LEGAL hits bring to the team.

P.S. Sorry forgot to put the ninja on and had to edit.

Was MacDonald this bad in NY? I just can't imagine any scouting that would have seen this guy play suggest that he be given a long term contract.

Scouting? B-b-b-b-but, he played "well" in 19 games for the Flyers...

Of course, before that as a "top pair" guy he was -19 in 63 games for the Isles and managed a whopping 11 points "running the power play" with Tavares, Okposo and (at the time) Vanek.

I have never understood what the hulabaloo* was about MacDonald nor why he was "worth" a 2nd and a 3rd much less a nearly 10x raise and a six year contract.

Midbogling™

You know who's played all his teams games, is a +8 with double MacDonald's points (four more on the PP) and 150 more blocked shots this season? Kris Russell in Calgary. Making $2.6M through next season.

His team's currently sitting in guaranteed playoff spot - no doubt™ - despite losing their captain and being sellers at the trade deadline.

So, once again the Flyers beat a legitimate Stanley Cup Contender.

How much of this is the Preds/Blues "overlooking" their non-Conference opponent on the road late in the year?

The Blues clearly were playing "not to lose" with a 1-0 lead in the third (#hitchcock). The Preds clearly played for the point in the second half of the third in that game.

Do you see the Flyers beating either of those teams in a seven game playoff series in which they don't even have home ice? 'cause I don't. Not that I expect they will have the chance to face either of them in this year's playoff... but "anything can happen!"™

* word of the day

Haters gonna hate..... :ph34r:

Seriously though, I am with truefan21 in hoping it does not go to his head and he stays the course instead of making boneheaded moves like everyone knows he is capable of. I still think that Vinny is a better option paired with Bellemare and Vandevelde but there is something to be said for the energy that Rinaldo's LEGAL hits bring to the team.

P.S. Sorry forgot to put the ninja on and had to edit.

Oh, I have no problem saying I am a Rinaldo hater.   He brings nothing to this Team other than a nice hit once in a while.  Nobody fears him...  When Umberger has 50% more ice time than Rinaldo you realize how unvaluable he is to the Team.   He is a selfish player and really should be playing in the AHL.

Not hating - calling it like I see it.  8 minutes and 4 hits... what a game-changer! :ph34r:

Not hating - calling it like I see it. 8 minutes and 4 hits... what a game-changer! :ph34r:

So his getting the crowd involved in the 3rd as well as seeming to energize the rest of the team when they were down 1-0 didn't change the game? Like I said, I prefer Vinny over Zac but in this case, he did seem to change the game.

I tend to think reads nice play entering the zone on the Simmonds goal was more key than anything else in that game... Along with MDZ...

Not saying his hits were bad but I am not gonna say Rinaldo won that game bc of those hits.

@murraycraven

Not saying his hits were bad but I am not gonna say Rinaldo won that game bc of those hits.

So his getting the crowd involved in the 3rd as well as seeming to energize the rest of the team when they were down 1-0 didn't change the game?

I am not sure how change the game became WON the game. He played well and somehow managed to not get called for stupid or selfish penalties. I still would prefer VLC to Zac but it ain't my call.....

@murraycraven

I am not sure how change the game became WON the game. He played well and somehow managed to not get called for stupid or selfish penalties. I still would prefer VLC to Zac but it ain't my call.....

understood rod... I still dont think it changed the game  ;)

Archived