Suspension looming for Big Buff?

hf101

468242598.jpg?enlarged

Unbelieveable, but no call was made on the play as Byfuglien delivers a nasty cross check to TJ Miller in front of the Jets net Tuesday night.  Miller did not leave the game.  

Rangers coach Vigneault noticed though and had a few words after the game.   "(It was) violent, deliberate, could have broken his neck," said Vigneault. "I don't know what's going to happen, but it was one of the most vicious cross-checks I've seen this year."

John Shannon @JSportsnet stated that the cross check will be given extra examination by NHL Player Safety.

I don't recall any prior suspensions for the Big Buff but how many games does he deserve?

OUCH! You can see the whiplash effect and looked like he broke his neck. That was one of the worst crosschecks (due to the location and position of players) I have ever seen. Everyone here has seen Buff take some liberties and get away with some questionable hits but that was ridiculous.

He should definately get a couple games for that. I don't think he's been suspended before, has he?

I'd be shocked if he hasn't. I didn't think it looked that bad, but will have another look...Not to absolve him, but at times it seems that Buff doesn't realize his own strength and size. He can rag doll someone without even trying.

EDIT: I thought this discussion was about his play near the end of the game where Buff got a penalty. That was on Zuccarrello I think. I didn't see that play (above) last night. That's pretty bad.

Buff be hungry...

The guy must gain 10 lbs just by looking at a plate of fries. Since his return two games ago, he looks like he's still getting up to speed. He was burned on the game winner by Kreider's speed. 

I am all for Byfuglien playing big n mean, but that was just downright animalistic.

And also, I didn't watch the whole game, but I was pretty sure I saw other times towards the end of the game where Byfuglien also skirted the line in making contact with Rangers players.

In fact, when I saw this thread, I thought it was referencing some of the incidences as the game came to a close and was surprised to see that it was a totally different situation.

Double ouch!

If there is a way we can get more footage of Byfuglien in this game from about start to finish, I'd be especially interested.

Just seemed to me that his team 'slipping' down the standings a bit and clinging on to that WC has gotten the best of him and he is playing more like a brute than a talented hockey player.

Not sure on the amount of games...will let the league offices decide that, maybe a game or two depending on history?

But yea, he deserves something.

I've always had respect for the way he plays...but this game...wow...makes me want to rethink that...

Apparently Big Buff has never been suspended before. That and the fact(s) that there was no penalty and no injury might save him from suspension. Some contrition on his part will also presumably help ("hey, I'm sorry, I'm a big buy, I overdo it sometimes. Plus, I was really only mad at myself for the play on Kreider on the goal. I bashed my head against the wall many times after the game - I deserved it.")

Something about Byfuglien doesn't sit right with me anyway. Too much controversy always seems to surround him (such as the situation with Kane). I think something should be done now before things go too far. I don't want to see him get to that point and ruin his (and maybe someone else's) career.

Something about Byfuglien doesn't sit right with me anyway. Too much controversy always seems to surround him (such as the situation with Kane). I think something should be done now before things go too far. I don't want to see him get to that point and ruin his (and maybe someone else's) career.

I think whatever "controversy" surrounded Buff is past him. Most relate to fishing and drinking beers and too many cheeseburgers. As opposed to Kane, who is a selfish and self-absorbed douche. It was Buff who reportedly put the whammy down on Kane, saying enough was enough.

Plus Buff is loved by his teammates and fans. Kane, not so much.

I actually gained some respect for Byfuglian when he called Kane out. The guy was being a jerk, And it wasn't the first time.

I actually gained some respect for Byfuglian when he called Kane out. The guy was being a jerk, And it wasn't the first time.

For sure. It was a long time brewing. They were roomates at one point, so Buff knows the whole truth about Kane. Buff earned my respect too, but mostly by his on-ice play. Prior to getting injured he was playing at a very high level. Absolutely dominating at both ends of the ice. When he's on, playing that "rover" style, and his teammates are on the same page, it is truly a sight to behold. 

That is the kind of thing they just have to get out of the game. First off, the guy was down and out and was no threat to score. Totally unnecessary and very dangerous. I'd say give him 5 games regardless of previous infractions. The NHL has to draw a line in the sand to show players that this kind of stuff will not be tolerated...thus the high number of games....usually a cross check should be in and around -3 games depending on location and severity etc...but this should have some extra games tagged on. It happened quickly, but you can even argue premediation to intentionally injure. It's not an excuse, but I'm kinda wondering if this way some kinda payback for a incident earlier in this game or earlier in the season?

....It's not an excuse, but I'm kinda wondering if this way some kinda payback for a incident earlier in this game or earlier in the season?

I don't think so. My hunch is that Buff was frustrated with his own play. He was all game. He displayed this late in the game taking a dumb penalty on Zucarrello. It was only his 2nd game back, so he's rusty and his timing is off and he has been caught a few times by speed, both vs the Rags and the game before against Chicago. 

Maybe I read the situation with Byfuglien and Kane wrong. I didn't mean to suggest that Kane was entirely innocent, but there didn't really seem to be a good guy in that to me.

@jammer2 The only thing that I'd add to what you said about the possible revenge motive is that depending on how you look at it, that could make it worse. I have flashbacks of Todd Bertuzzi and Steve Moore when you put that spin on it.

I don't think so. My hunch is that Buff was frustrated with his own play. He was all game. He displayed this late in the game taking a dumb penalty on Zucarrello. It was only his 2nd game back, so he's rusty and his timing is off and he has been caught a few times by speed, both vs the Rags and the game before against Chicago. 

Yieeeshhhh, that makes this callous act all the more heinous. I guess when you are summoned in person, it guarantees five games or more, but when you are scheduled for a phone meeting, the worst you can get is 5....so we know it's not more than 5 at this point. It *should* be 5, I'd be disappointing if it were not 5. They *really* need to send a strong message here!!!

Yieeeshhhh, that makes this callous act all the more heinous. I guess when you are summoned in person, it guarantees five games or more, but when you are scheduled for a phone meeting, the worst you can get is 5....so we know it's not more than 5 at this point. It *should* be 5, I'd be disappointing if it were not 5. They *really* need to send a strong message here!!!

I dunno. I think he will get 2 games. First time offence, no penalty on the play, no injury. That's the criteria. Buff is not a dirty player. He's big and he clearly lost it there for reasons that only he knows. 

no penalty on the play

Which blows my mind. The only reason I can think of that a penalty wasn't called would be that the refs didn't see or didn't pay enough attention. It was so obvious...

Which blows my mind. The only reason I can think of that a penalty wasn't called would be that the refs didn't see or didn't pay enough attention. It was so obvious

They clearly missed it. Lots of people did. I was watching the game and also missed it. Simple reason: the play had already quickly gone the other way. The broadcast I watched (admittedly Jets-friendly) didn't show it as a replay, nor did it play on the Jumbotron in the MTS Center. 

4 games for Buff per NHL

I actually think he got off easy with only 4 games. If he had hit him in the shoulder blades or even lower back this is a non-issue. The problem is he two handed him straight into the neck while the guy was already on the ice.......Ugly hit and probably deserved a bigger suspension IMHO.

I know the Jets are more than just Byfuglian, but who are we kidding, he IS a big part of that team, and there will be some MAJOR questions asked if the Jets miss the playoffs.

Winnipeg could miss for several other reasons, but many will no doubt look at Big Buff "not being there" for 4 games down the stretch when his team could use him the most.

Archived