McLellan To Flyers?

activestick

murraycraven, you are either very argumentative and your wife always gets the last word or you don't really pay attention. Yes Detroit is the model, but those draft picks generally play years in the minors. The conversation up for topic is that McClellan has never COACHED a young team, only veteran laden teams.

Has he ever had more than a disappointing playoffs?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're still good coaches, of course, but Philly has a very low patience level for them.

But remember they aren't the only ones. Todd just got relieved of his duties after missing the playoffs once in his 7 years in San Jose.

So every club is a business...its about making money...some are more tolerable of not making the playoffs...others are not.

It really a what have you done for me lately league...you have to find the right one.

Look at the Kings as a perfect example Lombardi went through Marc Crawford, Terry Murray and John Stevens before finding Darryl Sutter. Whk just got canned after winning 46 games and placing 1st in the north east...yet Calgary still fired him.

And the Kings snatched him up and won two cups with a castoff coach.

Maybe the Flyers can be this lucky.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/4/21/8461035/craig-berube-fired-draft-pick-compensation-flyers

The report said that if a coach, GM or director of hockey ops were to leave for a better opportunity elsewhere, their former team would have the right to a second-round compensatory draft pick if the move came in-season or a third-round pick if the move came during the offseason.

But oddly, this applies to fired coaches too -- although it's unclear if the compensation is exactly the same as it would if an employee was leaving on their own accord. Teams can also waive the right to draft pick compensation if they wish.

Why the hell would a team refuse a free pick...that is BS.

So, it appears that he is actually still under contract to SJ:

General manager Doug Wilson said McLellan told him over the weekend that he felt it was best that he leave. Wilson said he agreed with the decision. McLellan remains under contract but can talk to other teams about potential openings with the Sharks getting compensation if he signs with another team.

http://www.tsn.ca/mclellan-out-after-seven-years-with-sharks-1.261916

I know he had some kind of "out clause" in his contract, I guess maybe that means he and the Sharks could agree to a mutual parting of the ways.

So, it appears that he is actually still under contract to SJ:

General manager Doug Wilson said McLellan told him over the weekend that he felt it was best that he leave. Wilson said he agreed with the decision. McLellan remains under contract but can talk to other teams about potential openings with the Sharks getting compensation if he signs with another team.

http://www.tsn.ca/mclellan-out-after-seven-years-with-sharks-1.261916

I know he had some kind of "out clause" in his contract, I guess maybe that means he and the Sharks could agree to a mutual parting of the ways.

It sounds like a sneaky way to get a pick.

Bob Mackenzie was just on TSN 1050 and was asked if Todd Mclellan would like the job in Edmonton...I'm paraphrasing here but Mackenzie replied something to the effect "Only Todd knows what he wants, but I'd think he'd rather have the job in Philly".

I think he will be. I know the Babcock to Philadelphia rumours have surfaced, but I think Babcock goes to Toronto with his good buddy Shanahan and tries to change the dynamic and culture in Toronto. McLellan just seems to be too good of a fit for the Flyers and it will be interesting to see how well he works with Giroux, Schenn and Couturier at the worlds. If they do a lot of good things there, he'll be the coach of the Flyers in a nano-second and I expect that the only assistant to survive will be Mullen because of how well the power play runs under his watch.

I'm figuring if it's not someone with some playoff success under his belt, then it may be a dark horse most of us haven't heard of. 

Next Flyer coach???

Here are Bovada's odds:

Todd McLellan - 9/4

Dan Bylsma - 4/1

Mike Babcock - 5/1

Benoit Groulx - 13/2

Kevin Dineen - 13/2

Peter DeBoer - 13/2

Guy Boucher - 13/2

John Stevens - 9/1

Jeff Blashill - 9/1

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Vegas-sets-odds-on-next-Flyers-coach.html#5YRvrx5fRl8OlA3f.99

Just throwing this out there just to see what others think.

Redwings win the Cup...McClellan leaves for San Jose.

The following year the Wings lose to the Pens in the finals.

Then in back to back years McClellan out coaches Babcock in the semis bouncing the Wings.

So both times they have went head to head Todd Mac has come out on top.

2 of Todd Mac's playoff losses came to the Cup winners Hawks and Kings.

So just food for thought.

Todd is my leading man for the job.

I would go into further detail but i hate typing this on my phone.

So i'd like to know others ideas...

Tippett would bring much needed defensive structure to the Flyers. At the same time, how much of the offense would be smothered under his watch? That to me is the problem with guys like Tippett, Hitchcock, etc... They focus so much on defense that they seem to forget that offense also plays a big role. If Tippett could ever find that balance, I'd be all for his hiring if he became available. I suppose that his team in Phoenix dictated the defensive style, so it could be interesting what he could do with a team of strong offensive players.

Tippett would bring much needed defensive structure to the Flyers. At the same time, how much of the offense would be smothered under his watch? That to me is the problem with guys like Tippett, Hitchcock, etc... They focus so much on defense that they seem to forget that offense also plays a big role. If Tippett could ever find that balance, I'd be all for his hiring if he became available. I suppose that his team in Phoenix dictated the defensive style, so it could be interesting what he could do with a team of strong offensive players.

I don't think we have to worry about it the Yotes have to know if they fire him they will never get a coach as good as him to come to the desert and coach...he ain't going no where. My vote still goes to Todd Mac.

I've been hearing a lot of Dallas Eakins rumours... anyone else? Lemme see if I can find a source.

I saw that on Sportsnet and CSN Philly. I'm afraid about that, unless Eakins is being considered for the Phantoms. I could support Eakins being the AHL coach.

I saw that on Sportsnet and CSN Philly. I'm afraid about that, unless Eakins is being considered for the Phantoms. I could support Eakins being the AHL coach.

Well i hope Todd enjoys coaching Giroux, Coots and Brayden at the Worlds and makes him lean Philly's way. He'll have his work cut out for him with the blueline he'll be handed but some kids will be funneling in soon to his aid. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well i hope Todd enjoys coaching Giroux, Coots and Brayden at the Worlds and makes him lean Philly's way. He'll have his work cut out for him with the blueline he'll be handed but some kids will be funneling in soon to his aid. 

Brayden Schenn can't crack McClellan's roster, and Coots is getting team-low TOI. 

Brayden Schenn can't crack McClellan's roster, and Coots is getting team-low TOI. 

Wow...i guess that doesn't bode well for Todd in Philly....can't imagine he win Hexy's favor wanting more for Brayden and Coots!!! :ph34r:

Somewhere Berube is laughing.......

Well, not for nothing, but:

Giroux, Crosby, Eberle, Ennis, Duchesne, Hall, MacKinnon, O'Reilly, Seguin, Spezza, Couturier, Toffoli, Eakin, Schenn...

It's not like not being dressed in that crowd is shame-worthy...

It's not like Kunitz is on the roster and dressing in front of Schenn :ph34r:

Archived