Will Dion Phaneuf wear a Wings jersey next season?

8850c50560f49242c2d7c0cf7ab0b73d.png

Could that happen? The Wings tried to pull it off before the deadline, but Toronto killed it by asking for Mantha. Is Phaneuf worth it? He would be an okay addition to the D, but what about his contract? Toronto is going to have to retain some of that big salary...

What do you think?

@TheHockeytown  Ha....that he does...welcome to the board, we now have a nice strong Wings contingent....I live right across the river, a few miles away from the Joe.

Thank you for the welcome!

I live in Pennsylvania, but would love to live closer to Michigan (or inside the state, just not inside Detroit... love the team, but not the conditions of the city).

If the Wings, as I suspect they do, TRULY value the ability to skate, think, and play high level hockey, then acquiring Phaneuf seems like it wouldn't fit the Detroit business model.

Sure, he has a good shot (but then, so do many defenseman in the league nowadays) and he can hit (again, nice skill, but not wholly unique..besides, you have the Kron-Vall for that!), but his overall nimbleness (both physically and in the brain) leave much to be desired...and that cannon shot of his, if I recall correctly, isn't particularly accurate either.

Throw in a super horrendous cap hit and salary and quite frankly, I don't see how the Red Wings, with their many options in their own system or even options elsewhere on the trade market, would see bringing over Phaneuf to be a good idea.

If the Wings had EVERYTHING else in place and were just a hard hitting,depth defenseman away from winning it all, maybe I see it.....but I think Detroit can do better with their D than trading for Dion.

To be honest, as a Lightning fan, I'd LOVE to see Detroit saddle themselves with this guy...but as a neutral NHL fan, I'd have to say, no way to that.

Next item up for bid please....

As always, Phaneuf gets a bum rap.  He's actually a very good defenceman.  The guy plays big minutes, and always against the very best that the other team has to send out there.  And he's a hard hitter, he fights, and he scores.  He's just been on a terrible team and has been pretty much all by himself out there, the last few years.  Cody Franson and Jake Gardiner sure weren't much help to him.  Yet he's the one who gets unfairly lambasted all the time.

He'd be great in Detroit.  Toronto would probably have to eat a million or a million and a half of his salary, but with GOOD guys to play with, and slightly less responsibility/minutes, he would excel again, I bet.  And at 5.5 million a season, he'd be worth it.

Unlike Toronto, Detroit has some quality D-Men to send out there.  That would allow Phaneuf to concentrate on shooting the puck more, and just play a simpler game.

Mantha and a 2nd would get it done.  I've heard Detroit has been critical of Mantha, so maybe they'd consider moving him.

Or a lesser prospect and that 19th overall.

@Holymakinaw

Completely agree, Phaneuf is a top tier d-man, a lot of times when a team sucks the best players get the blame, that is what is happening here.

I am a fan of Brendan Smith but my patience is wearing thin, best case scenario which is looking less and less likely Smith could turn into Phaneuf. About ten games a year he seems to get it, The rest of the time, no.

If we could combine Smith and Weiss to even out the salary I say yes, absolutely do it. The only problem is, Babcock absolutely hates Weiss with every bit of his being, he buried the guy in Detoit, no way no how he takes him in Toronto.

So Smith and a mid level prospect for Phaneuf as long as Tornonto takes on some salary. Do it and get us the rugged d-man we have been searching for forever.

@Holymakinaw

Completely agree, Phaneuf is a top tier d-man,

So Smith and a mid level prospect for Phaneuf as long as Tornonto takes on some salary. Do it and get us the rugged d-man we have been searching for forever.

Wait a tick.

If Phaneuf is a "top tier D-Man"......how is it that you think you could get him for just Smith and Weiss or Smith and a mid level prospect, plus Toronto eating salary???  Top-tier D-men cost more than that.

:)

Wait a tick.

If Phaneuf is a "top tier D-Man"......how is it that you think you could get him for just Smith and Weiss or Smith and a mid level prospect, plus Toronto eating salary???  Top-tier D-men cost more than that.

:)

Quick @yave1964 !!

He is starting to see through that wool over his eyes...make the trade, make the trade!!   :lol:

@Holymakinaw

Completely agree, Phaneuf is a top tier d-man, a lot of times when a team sucks the best players get the blame, that is what is happening here.

I am a fan of Brendan Smith but my patience is wearing thin, best case scenario which is looking less and less likely Smith could turn into Phaneuf. About ten games a year he seems to get it, The rest of the time, no.

If we could combine Smith and Weiss to even out the salary I say yes, absolutely do it. The only problem is, Babcock absolutely hates Weiss with every bit of his being, he buried the guy in Detoit, no way no how he takes him in Toronto.

A brilliant plan! What have the slouches in the Wings' front office been waiting for?!

@Holymakinaw

IF the Leafs are blowing up, dumping salary and starting over, a combo of Smith, a decent forward and a pick might get it done. I like Phaneuf and like I said I think he gets an unfair amount of grief for the lousy play of the Leafs. If the Wings can get him for 60 cents on the dollar I say go for it.

I think Phaneuf is better than he's given credit for. But that contract....yuch.  Imagine how good he's going to be in 2021? 

It's not often a good defenceman comes up for trade. He's got holes in his game for sure...if he didn't he wouldn't be available. But if I took on that contract I'd be hoping for another lockout/amnesty buyout in the next 3 years or so.

I've heard Detroit has been critical of Mantha, so maybe they'd consider moving him.

The Wings ought to wait and see how he progresses. If he has another disappointing season, consider moving him.

8850c50560f49242c2d7c0cf7ab0b73d.png

Could that happen? The Wings tried to pull it off before the deadline, but Toronto killed it by asking for Mantha. Is Phaneuf worth it? He would be an okay addition to the D, but what about his contract? Toronto is going to have to retain some of that big salary...

What do you think?

Babcock just said on the news he thinks Phaneuf is the right choice for Leaf captain and that they would get much closer, so I doubt it

Babcock just said on the news he thinks Phaneuf is the right choice for Leaf captain and that they would get much closer, so I doubt it

Really though, what is Babber supposed to say??...if he mentions anything remotely negative, the TO media is in a frenzy, smelling blood in the water....AND that helps kill any real value he has in a trade, so I take any Babber comments as just being politically correct and serving his teams ultimate purpose.

Babcock was one of the biggest supporters of bringing Phaneuf to Detroit, so it wouldn't make sense that he would be the one chasing him out of Toronto. With that said, even with Babcock in place as coach, Dion's window doesn't align with the organization's window. Wouldn't be surprised to see him moved, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs hold onto him until the right offer comes along.

I don't think he'll be moved to Detroit, at the very least, he won't be moved to Detroit in a deal involving Babcock's whipping boys of Weiss and Smith.

The funny thing is, everyone always points to the "big minutes" Dion plays....and Leaf fans ask "who will be in that role should Phaneuf be dealt?".....How about anyone who can actually cover ground in his own zone, how about a smart d-man, with you know....hockey sense, that can smell what is gonna happen....that would be a good start.

This may not be the thread to say it, but I'm a HUGE Stuart Percy fan, and if the Leafs don't let him crack the roster this year, they should trade him...cause he is wasting away in the AHL at this point. Not sold on Finn, don't think he skates quite well enough....but Percy...he should be an NHL player...now!!

The funny thing is, everyone always points to the "big minutes" Dion plays....and Leaf fans ask "who will be in that role should Phaneuf be dealt?".....How about anyone who can actually cover ground in his own zone, how about a smart d-man, with you know....hockey sense, that can smell what is gonna happen....that would be a good start.

This may not be the thread to say it, but I'm a HUGE Stuart Percy fan, and if the Leafs don't let him crack the roster this year, they should trade him...cause he is wasting away in the AHL at this point. Not sold on Finn, don't think he skates quite well enough....but Percy...he should be an NHL player...now!!

Percy got a long look in October. Just enough games not to burn a year of his ELC, but enough to see that after 3 games, he was not ready. He played 20 minutes a night the first 3 games and scored an assist in each. i only remember because Leafs fans where I work were going nuts about him.

Then he played 6 "meh" games. Got his icetime slashed a heck of a lot into doghouse territory and went -5.

I don't blame them for not wasting a year of his ELC given the circumstances. Carlyle is not exactly rookie friendly and the team was imploding worse after Carlyle was fired.

@J0e Th0rnton  I saw Percy play a few games, he looked ok out there....but yeah, now that you mention it, not worth exposing him to the crap that was the Leafs from mid-December on. I just think the kid has all the tools to succeed. He also has untapped potential as a pp qb. I really like the way he skates backwards, very mobile and nice size.

Archived