Sharks hire DeBoer?

J0e Th0rnton

picture-3.png

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=768979&navid=nhl:topheads

Still speculated, but seems many sources reporting it will be a done deal by the end of the week.

Kinda strange. I heard he is not a nice coach to youngsters like Larsson and we have a whole bunch of younger players

One one hand, his first year on each NHL team was above expectations. On the other, they fell off a cliff after the first year

So maybe SJ is the next team to tank?   DeBoer only made the playoffs once in 7 years.  :unsure[1]:

I'm not seeing what the Sharks are thinking here.

So maybe SJ is the next team to tank?   DeBoer only made the playoffs once in 7 years.  :unsure[1]:

Well, he has only coached one semi respectable team in his career and they went to the finals.

A 41 win season with that Florida team is surprising too

Kind of what I was thinking, I just don't see it, he did make the finals with the Devils but that was his only ever playoff appearance.

I don't know, he doesn't look like an improvement over McClellan, who the players seem to have liked. Deboer from what I read is a system coach, follow his system or else. In Florida and San Jose the players loved him but it deteriorated badly towards the end.

Toe Blake could not have won with the garbage the Devils have thrown out there and called an NHL team the last several years. He does bring experience and a cup finals to the table. Why Not? He was a surprise hiring by both the Panthers and the Devils and now the Sharks. Like Rux, I find it curious and will wait and see...

@J0e Th0rnton  I think Peter would make a great coach for the Sharks. He is a defense first kinda guy, but at least some of that was determined by the severe lack of goalscoring on the Devils. It was more out of necessity than being his one and only choice. I believe he would alter his system for the Sharks, and add a bit of a run and gun element to his style. He's a smart guy, and knows how to get the most out of the roster he is coaching. When he was in the OHL, he played a magnificent two way game, I believe his own play/style eventually helped form his theory on the game.

I'm not sure that I ever remember such a surprising coach hiring season. This one looks odd, the Flyers blindsided everyone with the Hakstol hire, and then of course the Buffalo Sabres announce Mike... no wait, he's going to Toronto. What next?

• 2 weeks later...

The more I think of this, the more I like the hiring.

But the major factors this offseason will be how Doug uses 18 million in cap heaven.

We need a goalie, top 4 Dman and top 6 winger.

Yandle + Talbot for Mueller, Sadowy and Colorado's 2016 2nd!

But the major factors this offseason will be how Doug uses 18 million in cap heaven.

No way the Rangers would do that deal, way too light. Furthermore i doubt the Rangers would even want to move Yandle.

No way the Rangers would do that deal, way too light. Furthermore i doubt the Rangers would even want to move Yandle.

I wouldn't as I love Yandle, but the Rangers writer is a bit pessimistic on if they can keep him.

But they are in Cap hell. Acquiring him was a "Win this year" move. They just extended Staal and Girardi 6 years each at 5.5 million each, and are going to regret it. McDonagh is their top Dman, locked up another 4 years at 4.7. and Klein has 3 more years at 2.9 million. Dan Boyle has another year at 4.5 million.

Yandle is on 50% retention this season, but then goes for that nice prime Dman year raise after this. Effectively, you could flip him Boyle's money, but then you certainly lose One or two of of Stepan, Kreider or Hayes to RFA. Stepan gets a contract this season, probably around 5.5 million and that is half their cap space.

But yeah, my offer was a lowball lol.

@J0e Th0rnton  As you can see, Peter was quite the player in his last year of jr for the Spits. 45 goals and 91 pts in his last year while being in the OHL's top 3 defensive forwards....man, was he fun to watch. His skating was just a half a stride to slow to make an NHL team, a shame, cause this guy had a great 2 way game!!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1284

• 3 weeks later...

Quoting myself here, but......WHOHOOOO

Archived