Speculate on Backup Goalie for Next Year

Howie58

Greetings:

It is the slow season as others have noted so I reckoned this subject would be fair game. 

I doubt we resign Emery.  So the question is "who's next?"

Putting individuals aside, there's a philosophical/strategic question.  What do we do?

Strategy 1:  Start Building from the Farm Team: Bring in Stolarz.

Every once in a blue moon we bring a goalie up from the farm.  Boosh...Nitty.  The results are so-so.  In general we don't do so well with goal or D.  Maybe that's changing...or needs to change, and we see if Stolarz is ready.  

Strategy 2: Bring up Zepp or Other "Cheapie" from Euro-Zone: 

This assumes we are facing serious cap constraints.  It also connotes/denotes we don't care about playoffs that much if Mason goes down with injury and/or plays no more than 50-55 games.

Strategy 3:  Go with Experienced FA:

This may cost the most.  But it is the best insurance policy.  The question may be relative value on a cap-constrained team.  And given our goalie merry-go-round history....who might want in?

Here is list of potential FAs to consider.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2233417-which-unrestricted-free-agent-goalie-is-best-equipped-to-help-an-nhl-team

Psychologically, I worry that Strategy 3 may be threatening to Mason.  But his injury-prone last half raises some Qs.  I suspect our cap situation is really dire.  

Thoughts?  

Best,

Howie

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think Zepp is capable as a FT backup and frankly Stolarz is nowhere near ready...  Zepp is a great story and seems like a great guy but if Mason goes down for an extended period of time (and he most likely will based on recent history) we need someone that is capable of playing well for stretches.   I just dont think Zepp is the likely insurance policy we should go with...

They need to go the FA route this year - I dont see any way around it...

Also would add, who is the new goaltending coach?  That may play a factor/role in who they want/expect the backup to be. 

I hear Berube is looking for a job... he is one of the brightest minds in hockey you know... :ph34r:

While I know the Flyers don't, I look at next year as similar to last, in that the team's not going to be ready to make a serious cup run. In that vein, backup goalie is far down my list of priorities. I just don't see how making sure the Flyers have a quality backup NEXT year is going to help with the rebuilding effort. So I don't want to commit more than 800k-1 million to the position. That means the Flyers likely couldn't afford any of the "top-tier" goalies this offseason, such as they are. I'd seriously consider combing the European ranks for someone around 26-28 who may be worth taking a shot on a 2 year deal with.

I guess I really dont know if I see this as a rebuild honestly.   I think they **could** be in a position to make a push for the playoffs.   I am not sold that Hextall is going to stand-pat with the entire roster.  The core is there but I do expect Hextall to shed some salary.  I think next season is more or less a status quo year while waiting for some cap flexibility to take it's course.  Then again if Jake has another stellar year Hextall is going to have to pay him handsomely.

The European thing is certainly interesting but I am not sure that would provide anything better than Zepp considering the transition to the NHL.  I think in the end it is time for Emery to move on...  

Howie, as always, good to see you. I don't know that it's so much going to be a cap issue as "what's the point?" Emery wasn't very good last year, but even if you were to improve the backup goalie to .500, the Flyers still finish out of the playoffs. You'd have to get 7 more wins out of the backup goalie position to squeak in. So I'd rather roll the dice and take a chance that maybe you can find another diamond in the rough in either the college or european UFA pools now, and if he doesn't pan out, you can go with a stronger known quantity when the team should be on the upward swing. I wouldn't break the bank, and I'm definitely not trading for one.

Greetings:

I doubt we resign Emery. So the question is "who's next?"
Putting individuals aside, there's a philosophical/strategic question. What do we do?
Strategy 1: Start Building from the Farm Team: Bring in Stolarz.

Every once in a blue moon we bring a goalie up from the farm. Boosh...Nitty. The results are so-so. In general we don't do so well with goal or D. Maybe that's changing...or needs to change, and we see if Stolarz is ready.

This assumes we are facing serious cap constraints. It also connotes/denotes we don't care about playoffs that much if Mason goes down with injury and/or plays no more than 50-55 games.

Strategy 3: Go with Experienced FA:

This may cost the most. But it is the best insurance policy. The question may be relative value on a cap-constrained team. And given our goalie merry-go-round history....who might want in?  Here is list of potential FAs to consider.  http://bleacherrepor...elp-an-nhl-team

Psychologically, I worry that Strategy 3 may be threatening to Mason. But his injury-prone last half raises some Qs. I suspect our cap situation is really dire.

Thoughts?

-Zepp will probably be back but I think they'll want to do almost exactly the same thing with him.  I don't think they'll want to count on him as a backup.

-I agree Rayzor is probably done.  When he blew out his hip he told the doctors "I don't care if I can walk in ten years, just make it so I can play hockey for the next 5"  He got 4.  Not bad. 

-I do not think there's any chance in hell they'll bring up Stolarz yet for more than a fill in stint.  The sentiment at the end of the year was that he still had potential but needed a LOT of work.

-I think they'll probably sign a mediocre Free Agent.

-However,  I think this is the wrong tack.  I think they need an above average free agent because Mason's health scares the crap out of me.  I think he's a great goalie and totally capable of winning at all levels... but I don't trust that he'll stay healthy and I don't trust that he'll be able to keep bouncing back from these injuries over the next few years.

-My solution:  Martin Jones.  RFA with the Kings who is probably ready to step into the spotlight... except the Kings have Jonathan Quick and he's signed from now til eternity on a contract that very few teams will be willing to take on.  Bring in Jones to back up Mase with the understanding that Mase might need full time relief in 2-3 years when the team will start being potential contenders again and at which point Jones will be entering his prime.

Apart from that it would be great to get a Dubnyk or someone, but the chances are decent the WIld will resign him and let Harding pass.  So we could bring in Harding too I suppose if the WIld no longer want him to start.

Let the rest of the world overpay for the Hamburglar.  We need something solid not a flash in the pan.

King Knut:

Thanks for a thoughtful post. The health concern for Mason is probably on the minds of our Brains Trust. I just don't know if we have the Cap space to deal with this "intelligently."  I'd like to think there's a Euro out there with good experience who could fill in.  One of these days we'll develop a goalie...hell might freeze over before then but it is a cherished thought. But then I remember that Favell and Parent were cast-offs from the Bruins....granted, a much smaller league but I wonder if this organization feels goalie development is for somebody else.  

Peace,

Howie

Is this a chicken/egg scenario?  Is Mason's health bad due to make-up/health/workout routines, or did his health decline due to his overuse last year?  I'd say the latter, so a reliable backup should reduce his load, and improve his health.  

Or did I drink too much rum last night?

Also would add, who is the new goaltending coach?

Maybe mason can talk them into quietly bringing back Reese.  It's been so nice to have some stability back there for a few seasons.  I've never felt more confident in our nets since they replaced Lemelin with Reese.  THough I assume Hakstol will have an idea or two.

Maybe mason can talk them into quietly bringing back Reese.  It's been so nice to have some stability back there for a few seasons.  I've never felt more confident in our nets since they replaced Lemelin with Reese.  THough I assume Hakstol will have an idea or two.

Agree about Reese...also curious to see  what Hakstol might have to offer regarding the spot.  Still hard to believe there has been nothing concrete regarding the reason Reese left.  I also think it's interesting he hasn't signed on anywhere, so maybe it really was just personal/family reasons.

Greetings:

It is the slow season as others have noted so I reckoned this subject would be fair game. 

I doubt we resign Emery.  So the question is "who's next?"

Putting individuals aside, there's a philosophical/strategic question.  What do we do?

Strategy 1:  Start Building from the Farm Team: Bring in Stolarz.

Every once in a blue moon we bring a goalie up from the farm.  Boosh...Nitty.  The results are so-so.  In general we don't do so well with goal or D.  Maybe that's changing...or needs to change, and we see if Stolarz is ready.  

This assumes we are facing serious cap constraints.  It also connotes/denotes we don't care about playoffs that much if Mason goes down with injury and/or plays no more than 50-55 games.

Strategy 3:  Go with Experienced FA:

This may cost the most.  But it is the best insurance policy.  The question may be relative value on a cap-constrained team.  And given our goalie merry-go-round history....who might want in?

Here is list of potential FAs to consider.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2233417-which-unrestricted-free-agent-goalie-is-best-equipped-to-help-an-nhl-team

Psychologically, I worry that Strategy 3 may be threatening to Mason.  But his injury-prone last half raises some Qs.  I suspect our cap situation is really dire.  

Thoughts?  

Best,

Howie

With only reading the 1st post, yours i say option 3 allday Stolarz needs more time in the AHL. As far as Zepp goes i thought he was just meh...so can we go with a younger maybe cheaper meh...with a small glimmer of a possible upside?????

Greetings:

The other possibility (remote) would be a pick-up via trade, particularly for someone experienced.  I guess picking up a Montoya or lookalike is not out of the question.  But that seems pretty remote. 

Judging from what I've read so far, the Euro-plucking seems most likely.  It's interesting that we all see next year as transition with limited expectations.  

Howie

King Knut:

Thanks for a thoughtful post. The health concern for Mason is probably on the minds of our Brains Trust. I just don't know if we have the Cap space to deal with this "intelligently."  I'd like to think there's a Euro out there with good experience who could fill in.  One of these days we'll develop a goalie...hell might freeze over before then but it is a cherished thought. But then I remember that Favell and Parent were cast-offs from the Bruins....granted, a much smaller league but I wonder if this organization feels goalie development is for somebody else.  

Peace,

Howie

All signs point to YES.  Hextall was the last guy, right?  Boucher had a lot of promise and I thought he'd be our guy for years, but they gave up on him too soon in order to hand over the keys to the crazy Roman Czech. 

Anyone else of any promise they sent packing for someone else to make good.

All signs point to YES.  Hextall was the last guy, right?  Boucher had a lot of promise and I thought he'd be our guy for years, but they gave up on him too soon in order to hand over the keys to the crazy Roman Czech. 

Anyone else of any promise they sent packing for someone else to make good.

It's sad.  And I wonder if good free agents stay away as a result. Well, maybe they fix D-Building first, then turn to Goal.  It looks like the A has been a graveyard for our goalie since Nitty's progression. 

Howie

With only reading the 1st post, yours i say option 3 allday Stolarz needs more time in the AHL. As far as Zepp goes i thought he was just meh...so can we go with a younger maybe cheaper meh...with a small glimmer of a possible upside?????

Occam:

Nice hearing from one of the "seniors" here.  Gosh...it's sad that we have to think about the 'mehs' but the franchise does little to grow an "ubermeh." or even an above-average one.   :)

Howie

Occam:

Nice hearing from one of the "seniors" here.  Gosh...it's sad that we have to think about the 'mehs' but the franchise does little to grow an "ubermeh." or even an above-average one.   :)

Howie

Well of now i trust Hexy to fix that and realize by not having a better backup you're leaving points on the table...plus Mason needs rest so he can stay fresh and if they were to make the playoffs he maybe won't have so much wear and tear on him.

I'm wondering if bringing back Ray isn't a bad idea. I'm with some of the others here, AJ?, in believing that the Flyers will NOT legitimately be vying for a cup in the coming year. This is a bridge year and we need a serviceable pro. Emery fills that need at the bare minimum. 

There may be several other serviceable bridge year backups for cheap, though, so I don't think anyone's really worried, but it is slightly worrying that we only have Mason and Stolarz on contract for next year at this point. So we need to grab some goalies here right quick. 

I've heard Martin Jones name bandied about here and there and I'm sure he'd be a great prospect to snap up, the player is RFA right now and I just don't see the Kings letting go right now so that doesn't really seem to be a viable option. 

I'd look into a Devyn Dubnyk or a Jake Allen or Enroth. There's quite a few 'cheap' goalies that should become available this summer... but razor would not be a bad option on another 1 yr deal. 

Personally I look outside of the organization for the backup, you could go with an older vet as a free agent ala Jonas Gustafsson to give Stolarz another year to ripen. If you are not sold on Stolarz as a prospect a minor trade for a guy like Robin Lehner.

Archived