Defense or Forward with top pick?

I say they take the best D'Man available with the top pick which should give us one of the most formidable D units in the league in 2-3 years.  D wins. 

Then there are plenty of picks left for forwards and hopefully a goalie.

IMHO, even though I'm not a Flyer's fan, I really think it's best to take the BPA, especially in the first round. There is too much chance to lose out on a really good player if narrowing your choice to just one position.

Good article on Prov

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150624_Flyers_said_to_covet_Russian_defenseman_Ivan_Provorov.html

Sounds like the Flyers really want him, but I doubt he is there at 7.  I like what I have heard about Rantenen (sp) and I know his name has come up as far as the guy the Flyers would consider as well.  The good news is, it seems as though anyone left over at 7 will still be a good player for the Flyers, which is the most important thing.  I want Prov because it sounds like he can make an immediate impact this year or next and he would be coming up around the same time as the other young defensemen in the pipeline. 

I'd want defense if I were a Flyers fan, but I woudn't want to dip too far down the list. I don't think Hanifan will be there. I don't see him going any lower than Toronto. If the Flyers can get Provorov, I'd say go for it. He may not be there, but he's more likely than Hanifan.

Werenski , is nearly as good a skater as Hanafin...if no Provorov I say tap Zac

Good player but still has a good amount to work on... Def not an immediate impact player where I thin Provorov would be in the O and B next year.

Good player but still has a good amount to work on... Def not an immediate impact player where I thin Provorov would be in the O and B next year.

I was saying in a different thread, the fact that he may be able to "marinate" in the A and really develop his game might be a good thing.

I've read that Provorov is can't miss, and i reckon with #7 that's what you want,  but at say  11 Werenski's upside potential is undeniable.  And in the long run might end up being the "better" player... we're pretty deep with d prospects so there would be no need to rush Zac where there will be that temptation with Provorov.   

i have seen too many articles comparing Crouse to Hartnell, um I liked Hartnell a lot but i'm also thinking i want the "winger" to be ready now and not in 4 years.

I hope not and I doubt it. Unless there's absolutely no more development to be had for Provorov (or whomever else they pick), leave him in Juniors, then in the AHL for a year or so. Even if he's better than every other player on the Flyers defensive corps, I want him to be the best player he can be. I don't think that you'll get that by putting him in the NHL right away - there are very few players where that doesn't seem to hold true. I honestly hope that we see little to none of Morin, Ghost, and Sanheim, at least, for the next year or two for that same reason. Now I think giving Manning a full time shot is a logical next step for the team, as he's had enough time and has not looked out of place when he's been called up.

Archived