Talbot to Oilers for 3 picks

pilldoc

Oilers fans hoping this is finally the guy to stop pucks and allow the skaters to play a more worry-free game.

Cam Talbot no longer will have the tough, tight defense of Dan Girardi, Ryan McDonagh, or a Kevin Klein in front of him, but perhaps this will allow him to really showcase his talents.....plus, the Oiler offense should remedy any feelings of claustrophobia from not having breathing room on the scoreboard.

Edmonton is on a good track....we will see now what they will do about their defensive units.

This works but now we get to see how talbot handles a shooting gallery.

Well, if the Oiler offense becomes what many anticipate, the defense in front of Talbot may only need to be 'average'....after all, if Edmonton is constantly pressuring on offense and the puck is usually 150+ feet away from Talbot, he shouldn't see a shooting gallery his way in the first place.

Defense via persistent offense.

Talbot will still need to make the big stop when needed, and THAT is where we will see whether Edmonton struck oil here or not (see what I did there? :P  )

Well, if the Oiler offense becomes what many anticipate, the defense in front of Talbot may only need to be 'average'....after all, if Edmonton is constantly pressuring on offense and the puck is usually 150+ feet away from Talbot, he shouldn't see a shooting gallery his way in the first place.

Defense via persistent offense.

Talbot will still need to make the big stop when needed, and THAT is where we will see whether Edmonton struck oil here or not (see what I did there? :P  )

Maybe, but I don't see a pressure offense like that.  I see run and gun, so I anticipate pond hockey.  North/South shoot, maybe a rebound, now the other way.   Lots of 5-4/6-5 games.   And against a team with a goalie AND defense, that will present a problem for both the Oilers and Talbot (if he's left hung out like I expect).

I think this is a steal for Edmonton.

That, I completely agree with.

I like Talbot--a LOT.   You had him in Nahana for awhile, didn't you?

I'm just hoping he's not ruined by the "this way to the goalie" defense in Edmonton.

That, I completely agree with.

I like Talbot--a LOT. You had him in Nahana for awhile, didn't you?

I'm just hoping he's not ruined by the "this way to the goalie" defense in Edmonton.

No I never had him. But he looks like a real solid goalie for any team's future, and I can't believe how little was paid to get him.

No I never had him. But he looks like a real solid goalie for any team's future, and I can't believe how little was paid to get him.

There is a thread on his extending with the Rangers on this site.

Seems at the time, many (myself included) were thinking, given his age and the fact he was behind Lundqvist in NY, that he was fine being an excellent backup (I even suggested that Talbot himself agreed to such a light contract because he seemed happy backing up an elite goalie), and being a full blown starter at this stage in his late 20's with relatively minimal NHL experience, was just not going to happen.

Well, dreams do come true....even if just a bit late, and now Mr. Talbot has his chance to do well in Edmonton and parlay that into a REAL starting goalie's salary for his next go-round.

Talbot isn't the full answer for the Oilers defensive problems, but he's a good start. They picked up Gryba today, so that helps. I'm still not sold on the Reinhardt trade, but I'm a little less critical today seeing that they may pulled off the Talbot trade after all. Bringing in Reinhardt at least makes an attempt at solidifying their back end. At least they're not being timid. We may actually see some significant improvement.

@ScottM

New avatar?   If so, I like it.

If not, "Gee, I never noticed your really cool avatar!"

It's been up for a little while, but not months or anything like that. Go Riders!

@ruxpin

I'm curious...do you know what his avatar is?

I don't like the team (don't really know anything about the actual players, etc.) and don't like the CFL, but I like the logo.  I think it's kind of cool.

I don't like the team (don't really know anything about the actual players, etc.) and don't like the CFL, but I like the logo.  I think it's kind of cool.

I'm not much of a football fan. I did go to the 100th Grey Cup a couple years ago. There was 7000 Saskatchewan fans there...in Toronto.  All decked out in green and white. Their team wasn't even playing.

I'm not much of a football fan. I did go to the 100th Grey Cup a couple years ago. There was 7000 Saskatchewan fans there...in Toronto.  All decked out in green and white. Their team wasn't even playing.

And then they end up with a fan in Mississippi. Go figure... Lol

Anyway, how 'bout them Oilers?

It's a nice trade. A very nice deal for the Oilers. Some interesting work about goalies has been done lately:

https://oilersnerdalert.wordpress.com/2015/06/20/goalies-are-not-voodoo-if-they-make-it-to-60-or-so-nhl-games/

The numbers show that once a goalie is about 60 games/1300 shots into his career, we actually have a very good idea about what kind of player he's going to be. The data shows that Talbot is a very good bet going forward, not to mention a terrific contract. Keeping in mind that this is all pre-trade, so we're not looking at fans trying to justify a deal here.

For those who are interested in a further read: a look at goalies who failed to hold on to NHL careers:

https://oilersnerdalert.wordpress.com/2015/06/18/guest-columnist-a-look-at-goalies-who-washed-out-of-the-nhl/

Archived