Stars acquire rights to Niemi

pilldoc

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/27/stars-acquire-rights-to-niemi/?utm_network=twitter&utm_post=3856435&utm_source=TW%20%40NHLonNBCSports&utm_tags=srm%5Bhockey%2Carticle%5D

SUNRISE — The Dallas Stars have acquired goalie Antti Niemi from the San Jose Sharks. As Niemi is a pending unrestricted free agent, the return was limited to a seventh-round pick (193rd overall) in today’s draft.

The Stars now hold Niemi’s negotiating rights until June 30.

Dallas was expected to address its goaltending this offseason. The position was a major issue for the Stars last season — perhaps the number-one reason they missed the playoffs.

In Niemi, they get a former Stanley Cup winner and Vezina finalist

“Antti is a proven goaltender who has played and succeeded at the highest levels,” GM Jim Nill said in a release. “He’s one of the hardest working goalies out there and we look forward to working towards an agreement.”

If Niemi signs, he’ll presumably form a tandem with fellow Finn Kari Lehtonen, who still has three years left on his contract.

Hmmm....well, Dallas needs someone to 'push' Kari Lehtonen....I am not sure that Niemi is that guy.

But considering Dallas recently had Anders Lindback backing Lehtonen up, I suppose Niemi is an upgrade from that right now.

If the Stars can tighten its D just a bit though, both Lehtonen AND Niemi could benefit.......we already know the team will put pucks in nets, so the offense, at least, will support either goaltender.

@pilldoc@TropicalFruitGirl26

I could not think of a better way to sabotage a division rival hahahaha

but seriously, do they keep Lehtonen if they sign Niemi? Niemi probably does not want to take a paycut from his last deal with the Sharks. 3.9 million a year. and Lehtonen has a caphit of 5.9 million a year.

Do they really tie up 10 million in goaltending?

@J0e Th0rnton  10 mill is a LOT to tie up with 2 goalies. I can't see both of them staying....but Let-four-in would be hard to move at 5.9 mill a year. He's always been slightly below average in my mind, and he was just not good enough last year....with a bit better goaltending, the Stars make the playoffs easily. He kind of reminds me of Pavlec a bit, overpaid with a limited skill set.

@J0e Th0rnton  10 mill is a LOT to tie up with 2 goalies. I can't see both of them staying....but Let-four-in would be hard to move at 5.9 mill a year. He's always been slightly below average in my mind, and he was just not good enough last year....with a bit better goaltending, the Stars make the playoffs easily. He kind of reminds me of Pavlec a bit, overpaid with a limited skill set.

See, I watch a lot of Dallas vs Sharks games and I am of the opposite mind. Dallas has had some pretty abysmal defensive coverage and their forwards are not exactly great defensively either. Lehtonen always pissed me off lol.

I'd Take him and consider him an upgrade on Niemi.

Niemi's glove and blocker are both weak. He is AMAZING at stopping low shots. But shoot high and he is done. Top Shelf is hindenburg. He also handles the puck like a live grenade. A hot potato goalie is no good since 50% of the time I see him handle the puck, it enters our net within 20 seconds after.Q

Quite Frankly, Couture, Pavelski, Marleau....all exceptional defensive forwards. Thornton is not bad himself, although a tier down. but is a faceoff king. Vlasic and Braun are also better defensively than any Stars Dmen.

Was a hot mess of Seguin/Benn playing run and gun no backcheck, Spezza and Hemsky were ugh.

but so far, Nill says he wants a goalie tandem, so maybe they will pay 10 mill for 2 goalies.

In any case, Sharks can go after Ramo UFA without giving up assets, or target Cam Ward or Bernier. Ward will be cheap to acquire and is okay if healthy. We really have a glut of forward prospects now to offer another rebuilding team.

If Boston went full blowup stupid, and Rask was available, I would waste no time offering the moon for him. Goldobin + Nieto + 2016 first

Frig

Karlsson/Thornton/Pavelski

Marleau/Couture/Wingels

Hertl/Tierney/Donskoi

Goodrow/Smith/Chartier

Vlasic/Burns

Mueller/Braun

Dillon/Roy

Rask

Stalock

And good god, even after taking his 7 million dollar contract, we have like 9 million in cap space and Hertl our only RFA next year

Karlsson/Thornton/Pavelski
Marleau/Couture/Wingels
Hertl/Tierney/Donskoi
Goodrow/Smith/Chartier

Vlasic/Burns
Mueller/Braun
Dillon/Roy

Rask
Stalock

I don't see Bieksa in there???  :cool[1]:

@J0e Th0rnton

Rumblings out of Boston (you live that way, I am sure you already heard them) are that Rask may indeed be available. Just whispers so far, but that is how it sometimes starts.

If he is nobody makes more sense than San Jose.

I don't see Bieksa in there???  :cool[1]:

Thank god that fell apart and bridges burnt.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-canucks-bieksa-deserves-better/

You could see the frustration on Canucks GM Jim Benning, who badly wanted to add a second-round draft pick.

You could see the frustration on agent Kurt Overhardt, standing at the fence that separated the team tables from everybody else at the BB&T Center in Sunrise, FL.

You could feel the frustration from almost 6,000 kilometres away, as Kevin Bieksa waited for his NHL future to unfold.

Overhardt would not comment, despite multiple attempts to ask the same question in different ways. Benning said, “I’ve been in contact with Kevin every step of the way and have been honest. He understands our position and we’ll try to do what’s right for (him).”

It was revealed Friday morning that Bieksa agreed to waive his no-trade clause for San Jose. But the Sharks and Canucks failed to consummate a deal, with the two sides disagreeing on what year Vancouver would receive a second-round draft pick. And, even if Doug Wilson succeeded on holding off until 2016, the Canucks wanted something they could use in the last 48 hours. Wilson is tough to close a trade with, a strategy that makes other teams crazy.

(Curtis Pashelka of The San Jose Mercury News quoted the GM as saying he needed that 39th selection to trade up and get defenceman Jeremy Roy. He accomplished this goal, moving up eight spots in a deal with Colorado.)

According to a couple of different sources, three entities — Bieksa/Overhardt, the Canucks and the Sharks — were working on this for at least a week and probably longer. In fact, the player recently visited the San Jose area with his family to look at houses.

Knowing that, it’s incredible this didn’t work out. Everyone involved had plenty of time to understand the parameters. As you can imagine, there’s a lot of private disgust.

There were reports the trade fell apart because Bieksa wanted an extension. An executive for another team guessed it would end up in the area of three years and $12M. One player, furious at how this unfolded, said it was important to the defenceman because he did not want to uproot his family twice in two years. It doesn’t sound like that was the deal-breaker here, unless Wilson vacillated as cover for not liking the idea.

It is funny. The Canucks media and fans are going crazy with hate for San Jose for not relieving them of Bieksa and Wilson is just saying "Not giving up our 2nd this year". Ended up with Roy, which is awesome. Even higher ceiling than Mueller.

Bieksa even looking at houses? Before terms and agreements in place?

In any case, after Bieksa trash talked Thornton, Couture and tried to decap Marleau, and had the luckiest bounce in history to end a series, I can say I am all out of tears haha.

@J0e Th0rnton

Rumblings out of Boston (you live that way, I am sure you already heard them) are that Rask may indeed be available. Just whispers so far, but that is how it sometimes starts.

If he is nobody makes more sense than San Jose.

Nobody else is looking for a starter but San Jose.

The price for Rask would be enormous though.

Nobody else is looking for a starter but San Jose.

The price for Rask would be enormous though.

Yeah.....i think it would be too costly for us to make a play for Rask. I seriously doubt Rask would be dealt i just can't see it. 

I'm definitely curious what Dougie's going to do, also we still need a Righty blueliner one who can run the 2nd pp unit.

It's official:

Antii Niemi is now a full blown Dallas Stars player, he gets a 3 yr, 4.5M AAV contract.

Looks like the Stars really are gonna go with a two headed monster in net.....unless there is some sort of plan to unload Kari Lehtonen somewhere else.

From Fear The Fin:

http://www.fearthefin.com/2015/6/29/8862783/stars-sign-antti-niemi-to-3-year-13-5-million-contract

This basically tells me that Dallas is gonna pay two guys a pretty large amount with the idea of "Please, for the love of hockey....SOMEONE stop the damned puck!"  :P

Of course, none of that will matter unless the Dallas defense plays better as well. Some of the chances they give up aren't even acceptable at the flippin JUNIORS level.....  :blink[1]:

But there we have it.....if Dallas is coming to your team's arena, or if your team is headed out to Dallas, chances are about equal you will either get Niemi or Lehtonen....may the best swiss cheeser win the starting job!   ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived