needs at free agency

briere48

Boedker is interesting - he's an RFA. I don't think he's a top line guy, but he's young with decent upside. I'm not sure AZ would want to move him, or if it might be too expensive, but I'd kick the tires. Made 2.5 million last year.

Raffl and Bellemare are the only two designated "left" wings on the current roster (and Bellemare was a career center before coming to the NHL...)

Here are the left wingers "in the system"

Danick Martel

Tyrell Goulbourne

Taylor Leier

with Andrew Johnston and Marcel Nobels both RFA.

To be clear, they certainly don't need to run out and sign Fleischmann or... Upshall or Zolnierczyk (thank God #homercoaster isn't GM any more).

But I'm not sure there's a clear cut "answer" in the system at this point.

Nobels contract was terminated

Nobels contract was terminated

Still listed as RFA on nhlnumbers FWIW

The inclusion was more of a "there's not much in the cupboard" than a "Nobels could be a top line LW next season" :)

I dunno. Belesky reeks of Clarkson to me, he'd never cracked 10 goals before this year, and now he's wanting 5+ million? I wouldn't sign him at his asking price. Maybe at half of it. I'd rather not sign him at all and have that be a mistake, than sign him and have it be a huge mistake. We already have Raffl who put up a whole 1 goal less and 3 points less last year, and he's a year younger and 4 million cheaper.

Yeah, if I am going to pay a winger 5 million, ill overpay Frolik.

At least Frolik drives possession 5 on 5, kills penalties and can jump in on the 2nd PP unit. he also plays all 3 forward positions and is very good defensively. He will take any role you ask of him. Chicago wanted him to do the Kruger and just play 100% defense. He did it. Winnipeg just loves the guy.

Beleskey scored 32 points and said no to a 4.5 million offer from the ducks? He does not stand out defensively, In fact, who in their right mind will sign him to 5+ mill a year?????

Yeah, if I am going to pay a winger 5 million, ill overpay Frolik.

At least Frolik drives possession 5 on 5, kills penalties and can jump in on the 2nd PP unit. he also plays all 3 forward positions and is very good defensively. He will take any role you ask of him. Chicago wanted him to do the Kruger and just play 100% defense. He did it. Winnipeg just loves the guy.

Yeah, Frolik is interesting. I think I'd prefer a pure LW, though.

Beleskey scored 32 points and said no to a 4.5 million offer from the ducks? He does not stand out defensively, In fact, who in their right mind will sign him to 5+ mill a year?????

I'm hoping Pittsburgh.

what's your opinions?

If it's 2004 and the team is being run by Clarke and not Homer or Hextall, you'd be right in line with the thinking.

The blackhawks didn't win with Vet Centers.  They won with crazy consistently good D men in their prime playing a boat load of minutes a night and some scoring that was able to capitalize on opportune moments and weaknesses.

Keith, Towes, Kane and Sharp drive that bus.   Richards, Hossa are over kill garnishes that help, but very very far from the thing that gets them these cups.

If it's 2004 and the team is being run by Clarke and not Homer or Hextall, you'd be right in line with the thinking.

The blackhawks didn't win with Vet Centers.  They won with crazy consistently good D men in their prime playing a boat load of minutes a night and some scoring that was able to capitalize on opportune moments and weaknesses.

Keith, Towes, Kane and Sharp drive that bus.   Richards, Hossa are over kill garnishes that help, but very very far from the thing that gets them these cups.

very true.

The blackhawks didn't win with Vet Centers. They won with crazy consistently good D men in their prime playing a boat load of minutes a night and some scoring that was able to capitalize on opportune moments and weaknesses.

Keith, Towes, Kane and Sharp drive that bus. Richards, Hossa are over kill garnishes that help, but very very far from the thing that gets them these cups.

I agree but the Hawks don't beat Tampa without Crawford. He was lights out in the finals. Def MVP of the finals but Keith got the conn for overall body of work in playoffs

I don't know if I buy that.  He was lights out, but it was their defense (overall team defense, not just the actual D-men) that limited Tampa so frustratingly to low percentage opportunities those last 3 games.  It was like watching the Flyers trying to score.  Tampa just couldn't get anything effective going and were challenged so much that when they did get a good shot, they were usually falling over or off balance or six other things and missed the open net.  

Honestly, until he got hurt I thought Bishop faced the tougher chances and played the better series in nets than Crawford.  I could claim that if he hadn't gotten hurt, it might have changed the dynamic of the series, and I suppose there's an argument to be made that the Bolts played a different game with him out and then even when eh cane back.  But more than anything, the Hawks just dissected and imploded the Tampa attack.  It's the same thing they did the whole playoffs.  They get to know the team they're playing and they render their game completely ineffective. 

Still listed as RFA on nhlnumbers FWIW

The inclusion was more of a "there's not much in the cupboard" than a "Nobels could be a top line LW next season" :)

that's not a very reliable website 

I don't know if I buy that. He was lights out, but it was their defense (overall team defense, not just the actual D-men) that limited Tampa so frustratingly to low percentage opportunities those last 3 games. It was like watching the Flyers trying to score. Tampa just couldn't get anything effective going and were challenged so much that when they did get a good shot, they were usually falling over or off balance or six other things and missed the open net.

Honestly, until he got hurt I thought Bishop faced the tougher chances and played the better series in nets than Crawford. I could claim that if he hadn't gotten hurt, it might have changed the dynamic of the series, and I suppose there's an argument to be made that the Bolts played a different game with him out and then even when eh cane back. But more than anything, the Hawks just dissected and imploded the Tampa attack. It's the same thing they did the whole playoffs. They get to know the team they're playing and they render their game completely ineffective.

Good points for sure. Chicago as a team absorbed a lot of Tampa pressure. That ice was tilted towards the hawks net for plenty of the series. Just seemed like Crawford played lights out down the stretch. I agree with you though that chi played a great team game.

Side note: forgot about bishop getting hurt. He was stellar as well

Archived