Official - Kessel to Pens for prospects, picks

pilldoc

People change with trades sometimes. He's down 13 pounds last report, and working out before training camp. I'm thinking he realizes he's got a shot to change how he's perceived, and why not?

If not, there's a first time for everything. Lol

If a guy who is fat and out of shape can reliably pot 30, what can he do if motivated and what better way to be motivated than playing with Malkin/Crosby instead of JVR and Kadri?

I'd love to have a 30 goal scorer on the Flyers.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a guy who is fat and out of shape can reliably pot 30, what can he do if motivated and what better way to be motivated than playing with Malkin/Crosby instead of JVR and Kadri?

I'd love to have a 30 goal scorer on the Flyers.

That's my take too. Worst case is a thirty goal guy who hasn't missed a game in 5 years.

No, worst case is a war in the dressing room and it getting back to the press....creating a huge distraction.

He won't have the influence here he'd have if it were still in Toronto so I really don't see that happening. Possibility? Yes. I just think it doubtful.

No, worst case is a war in the dressing room and it getting back to the press....creating a huge distraction.

Seriously - we get it already.  You don't like fat guys who don't play 200 feet and give the appearance if not giving 100%.   :confused[1]:   

The Leafs locker room was about as toxic as toxic can be with a lot of obnoxious media added for flavor. It didn't help that the Leafs traded the farm for Kessel (literally bent over by the Bruins) and then offered him a boatload of money for the next 8 years.  The Leafs misjudged him and what he brings to the table. He's not a leader. He's not going to be the face of your franchise.  He's certainly not the kind of player who is going to rally the troops when things go in the toilet.  He's not good with the media (especially in a hockey fishbowl like Toronto).  He's aloof. Guess what - there is nothing wrong with that when you are the 5th or 6th best player on your team.  When you are the best and highest paid player on the Toronto Maple Leafs?  Different story.  Not every guy out there is Jonathan Toews or Mark Messier.

The best part is that on the Pens all he has to do is be a goal scorer. Period.  I'll take 30 goals.  40 would be preferred.  He doesn't have to be the "face" of the Pens.  He's way down the pecking order after Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Fleury. He's not going to have to worry about the media here either.  It's not nearly as cut throat as Toronto.  Here, he's just another guy for lack of a better description.  

• 1 month later...

Kris Letang calls out Maple Leafs for not honoring Phil Kessel with video tribute

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2015/11/1/9653038/kris-letang-calls-out-maple-leafs-video-tribute-phil-kessel

Kristopher Letang ✔ @Letang_58
Awesome tribute to a great player @PKessel81 in TO .... Crickets crickets

@pilldoc  Slow start in a new system, Sid and the whole Pens top pp has started slow also....new coach for the rest of the Pens also...it will even up, Kessel will go on a tear and those that made him a keeper will inevitably be rewarded, as much as it pains me to type that.

@jammer2

Oh I completely get it, just a vast majority of Pen fans (not neccessarliy those on this forum) have flapped that their jaws that he was gonna come in here and light it up immediately.  Alot of players all over the league have started out very slowly.  Would love to see his stats in another 10-15 games.

@ruxpin It seemed shorter, but at the same time, we started REALLY bad last year also.

Well, not just the flyers. That's because we suck. But Columbus, Tampa, Penguins, Ducks, etc.

The preseason seems like camp opens and immediately you're playing preseason games. And then you blink and the season has started.

It just seems like for fans of a lot of teams, they're paying regular season prices for preseason output.

It just seems like for fans of a lot of teams, they're paying regular season prices for preseason output.

Great point....teams need to man up and lower prices (HA HA HA) if the product continues to suck.

Archived