Can Provorov be the next Ray Bourque ?

Mario99

Why downgrade him to lidstrom? Bourque > lidstrom :) he was just lucky to be surrounded by Stevie Y, Fedorov, Datsyuk and Zetterberg and great depth :P

Red Wings Team pretty much has not missed a beat Since Lidstrom retired. The bruins ended up drafting 1st overall once Bourque left lol.

See kid is smart he even agrees with me.....

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=774184&navid=DL|PHI|home

He is answering questions from fans on twitter......

Michael Vietri @michael_Vietri

@NHLFlyers #AskIvan what modern day D-man are you most comparable to?

Philadelphia Flyers ✔@NHLFlyers

@michael_Vietri Nick Lidstrom

Michael Vietri @michael_Vietri
@NHLFlyers #AskIvan what modern day D-man are you most comparable to?

Philadelphia Flyers ✔@NHLFlyers
@michael_Vietri Nick Lidstrom

Well, sure. But the question obviously excludes Ray Bourque.

In fact, I'd say there's more than an even chance Provolone doesn't know who Ray Bourque is :hocky:

Well, sure. But the question obviously excludes Ray Bourque.

In fact, I'd say there's more than an even chance Provolone doesn't know who Ray Bourque is

I'd like to think young Hockey players are fans of the game and the history of the game.

With luck, future prospects will be compared to Provo "The kid reminds me a lot of Ray Borque, and when he really ups his game, shows flashes of Ivan Provorov."

I'd like to think young Hockey players are fans of the game and the history of the game.

I would, too, but Provolone was 4-years-old and living in Russia when Bourque played his last game. He's 18 now.

I didn't say he didn't know who Bourque was, just that he really might not. Heck, there are likely more than a few 18yo North American "hockey fans" who don't remember Bourque.

With luck, future prospects will be compared to Provo "The kid reminds me a lot of Ray Borque, and when he really ups his game, shows flashes of Ivan Provorov."

:thumbsu:

I agree somewhat, but this kid was in Scranton, PA at 14 years old

I admit, just being in that town can be pretty stressful, it's a pretty oppressive vibe... but I'm not sure I get what you mean. 

• 3 weeks later...

Provorov's ranking is up on Hockey's future. 8.0C

Konecny 7.5D

Rankings as follows

10. Generational Talent - a player for the ages, one who can do things with a puck that no other player would even contemplate doing. Very, very few players will be deserving of this rating, probably one per decade.

Defense: Bobby Orr
Forward: Wayne Gretzky
Goaltender: Patrick Roy

9. Elite Talent – possesses the potential for greatness, a perennial All-Star throughout his career.

Defense: Nicklas Lidstrom, Zdeno Chara, Chris Pronger
Forward: Ilya Kovalchuk, Joe Thornton, Eric Staal
Goaltender: Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo, Henrik Lundqvist

8. First-Line Forward/ No. 2 Defenseman / No. 1 Goaltender – players with definite skill that might be just a cut below elite status, but still possessing All-Star potential.

Defense: Dan Boyle, Duncan Keith, Kimmo Timonen
Forward: Patrick Marleau, Jason Spezza, Mike Richards
Goaltender: Cam Ward, Marc-Andre Fleury, Tomas Vokoun

7. Second-Line Forward/ No. 3-4 Defenseman / Journeyman No. 1 Goaltender – players not quite good enough to play on the top line or pairing on a regular basis, but still possessing enough talent to contribute offensively, defend with some authority, or competently play the goaltender's position for long stretches.

Defense: Filip Kuba, Christian Ehrhoff, Henrik Tallinder
Forward: Andy McDonald, Ryan Malone
Goaltender: Chris Mason, Dwayne Roloson, Mike Smith

6. Third-Line Forward/ No. 5-6 Defenseman / Backup Goaltender – generally speaking, players whose game is defensively-oriented, or whose abilities aren't quite good enough to land full-time duty on the 2nd line, top two defensive pairings, or the No. 1 goaltending position.

Defense: Jordan Leopold, Chris Campoli, Shane O'Brien
Forward: Trent Hunter, Manny Malhotra, Matt Cooke
Goaltender: Scott Clemmensen, Ty Conklin, Alex Auld

5. Fourth line forward / No. 7 defenseman / depth goaltender – players that populate the 4th line, will fill in for injured defensemen, or have some ability to play goal in the NHL but are mostly very good minor league goaltenders. Think of any enforcer you care to name, or any energy player you care to name, or any unlucky defensemen or goaltenders that don't quite have enough talent to crack an NHL lineup full time.

A – All but guaranteed to reach potential - 100 percent metaphysical certitude that the player will play up to his abilities as noted by his potential rating. In this case, the potential rating is multiplied by 100 percent for depth chart purposes, signaling that the player is a lock to reach his given potential.

B – Should reach potential, could drop 1 rating - likely to reach potential, but may have a hole or two in his game that will keep him from reaching his full potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 90 percent for depth chart purposes, which indicates slightly less certainty about a player’s future performance.

C – May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings – has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 80 percent for depth chart purposes to show the uncertainty of a player reaching his potential.

D – Unlikely to reach potential, could drop 3 ratings – a player who has a chance to reach his potential but is unlikely to do so. The potential rating is multiplied by 70 percent for depth chart purposes, indicating that the player's potential is extremely fluid.

F – A player possessing little potential who has a mountain to climb just to reach the outermost boundary of that potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 50 percent depth chart purposes.

@J0e Th0rnton  Call me a little biased, but when it's all said and done, Konecny is going to skate circles around guys like Ryan Malone and Andy McDonald. He will have much more impact than those two ever did....assuming the concussions issue stays dormant.

@J0e Th0rnton  Call me a little biased, but when it's all said and done, Konecny is going to skate circles around guys like Ryan Malone and Andy McDonald. He will have much more impact than those two ever did....assuming the concussions issue stays dormant.

I like Konecny and agree with you. I also do not agree with him being ranked lower than Laughton.

I also do not agree with him being ranked lower than Laughton.

Both Scott and Travis are the real deal. Laughton will start to prove that this year, he's better than you think.

Both Scott and Travis are the real deal. Laughton will start to prove that this year, he's better than you think.

No doubt.

Just thus far Laughton has not blown me away. 40 goals and 87 points in 54 games in the OHL as a 19-20 year old is nice no doubt. But I always hope for more smash from a 1st round 20th pick at that age in the OHL where sometimes lower drafted overagers have smashing point totals.

1st round 27th pick Goldobin for the Sharks posted 38 goals and 94 points as a 17 year old in the same year in the OHL, but I am still not totally sold on him like I am on Tierney,

Can you sell me on Scott?

Can you sell me on Scott?

I think Scott will inevitably play in the NHL, a few things in his corner basically makes him a lock. First off, the thing our new coach Hakstoll values the most is smart players who have respectable speed....Scott has those two skills down pat. The only real question with Scott is will he be a 3rd line center or a 2nd. That, of course will be determined by his offensive production. He has a very nice release on his wrist shot, ditto for his slap shot which is above average also. His work ethic is exceptional, which is something a lot of our top prospects have in common. For a bigger type center, he can be very shifty. I think he still really needs to add some weight, I think he has put some on this summer, but even more is needed. I would think a 6'1 center should weigh in around 190-215.....he was listed at 177 last season.

I see a 2nd line center who can score 65+ pts eventually.

• 1 month later...

Archived