Can Provorov be the next Ray Bourque ?

Mario99

@Mario99

I just think comparing an 18 year old who's never played in the NHL to a Hall of Famer is not only counting chickens before they hatch, it's putting pressure on him he doesn't need.

I think the guys going to be pretty damn good. But I'm also fine if he doesn't make the team this year.

I agree somewhat, but this kid was in Scranton, PA at 14 years old looks like pressure wont effect him

wasnt Bourque a rookie at 18 years old  playing in the NHL

I've also read a few scouting reports that have compared Provorov's game to Ray Bourque's game. There are very striking similarities between the two. I'll leave it at that. I won't compare him to Bourque, but there are definite similarities in their game.

Exactly i was thinking more along the lines of Lil Lidstrom myself...............................

He's way more physical than Lidstrom....a rich mans version of Bobby Orr...with awesome knees?

Exactly i was thinking more along the lines of Lil Lidstrom myself...............................

Why downgrade him to lidstrom? Bourque > lidstrom :) he was just lucky to be surrounded by Stevie Y, Fedorov, Datsyuk and Zetterberg and great depth :P

Red Wings Team pretty much has not missed a beat Since Lidstrom retired. The bruins ended up drafting 1st overall once Bourque left lol.

Why downgrade him to lidstrom? Bourque > lidstrom :) he was just lucky to be surrounded by Stevie Y, Fedorov, Datsyuk and Zetterberg and great depth :P

Red Wings Team pretty much has not missed a beat Since Lidstrom retired. The bruins ended up drafting 1st overall once Bourque left lol.

Because Bourque to me is a lot of pressure but with his play i've seen i certainly see a smart Lidstrom play in him....that would be the first line to cross but if his ceiling is Bourque like no complaints here...and as far as his physical sides i can't note because all i've seen is mostly his highlight reels and well they didn't display his physical side much. But we will learn it i assume...in time.

I get that people are gonna find similar skill sets and compare him to current and former NHL'ers. If we are gonna toss out names, Provs reminds me of a more physical version of Drew Doughty. I think his top end speed is in the Bourque/Doughty neighborhood. Ray was one of those guys with God given talent, he was totally polished skating wise by his late teens, which is kinda rare. Provs is a tremendous skater, but there are areas that Bourque had mastered....but Provs is still a work in progress. I think he will be in the top 10% of skaters in the NHL once he finds his way unto the roster, where Bourque was in the top 1% the first time he stepped on NHL ice. It's getting a tad picky, but he still needs to work on how to cut on a dime and his backwards skating is above average, but not elite right now. All stuff that will be refined in the coming months under the tutelage of the Flyers coaching staff.

I don't know how exactly to put it into words properly, but Provs is just slightly less graceful than Bourque was at his age, A little bit of this I believe, comes from his evolving balance. It's one of the parts of skating that he has not yet mastered, but well on his way in doing so. His skill and smarts hits you in the face like a right cross, no mistaking it at all.

The Hockey News draft preview has a few paragraphs about 1st round rated prospects.....SO....for those that did not purchase the issue, I will type word for word the info THN has on Ivan Provorov.

He is ranked #6, one slot behind where he eventually went at #7. The Hockey News had him #6, International Scouting Services had him at #7. Left handed shot, 6 foot even and a solid 201 lbs for an 18 year old kid. Born Jan 13, 1997 from Yaroslavi, Russia.

"Some draft pundits have pushed for Provorov to hte the top rated defensemen in the draft and, based on his rookie outing in the WHL, that's not crazy. The difference between him and Hanfin is that he'll step up and take your head off, said one scout, but Hanfin has more offensive upside.

As it is, Provorov is pretty good in that category anyways. He led WHL rookies in scoring and was the top defensemen overall in the Eastern Conference for a juggernaut Brandon team. He has brought a lot of stability to that back end, said another scout. He's a very good passer and makes plays at high speeds. He's not always physical, but he can be. He uses his speed when he needs it. Efficient skater.

Provorov was technically a fourth pairing D-man on Russia's Silver medal World Junior squad, but he and Ziyat Pagin actually played regularly, and Provorov held his own as the youngest member of the team."

As long as he's not the next Mike Rathje!

Rathje is the season why that #4 pick who picked his nose and ate it had a good season. Sucks his back went out but he was a good player prior and not his fault the flyers threw money at an aging Dman

Archived