The Richards and Voynov situation and why we should be furious with Dean Lombardi.

Sjsharknado

83f77a38094fd9c5a3450dc9aa0ace86.jpg

We all know about the situation between the two players so recapping seems redundant.

The real issue here is what Dean Lombardi's intent was when approaching the Richards and Voynov situations, and that is where the problem lies.

As the story goes, at draft day when Dean discovered the incident with Richards at the border he severed all trade talks and began taking steps toward contract termination. It took him less than a day to have everything ready to terminate Richards, while Slava Voynov is still free to use the King's facilities. Why is that?

Richards had a strangling cap hit while the younger Voynov is more valued and by far a better player at this point in his career.

This isn't about management caring about what Richards had done or Voynov would have been bounced right when he was sentenced.

Dean Lombardi did the right thing for all the wrong reasons. Beating your wife at least three times (he didn't learn his lesson the first two times) is a far worse crime than a player being caught with painkillers at the border because he plays one of the most dangerous sports in the world and that it is more common in most players than you think (read the article below).

I won't be angry if Richards is terminated with good reason (which it seems to be), but I will be if Voynov puts on the black and silver next season. We need to understand that this isn't about hockey anymore, a man had beaten his wife multiple times and could potentially suffer no consequences from the organization he works in. That is wrong.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2015/7/1/8874513/painkillers-and-double-standards-mike-richards-nhl-oxycontin-oxycodone

read this to further understand my point on Richards

We all know about the situation between the two players so recapping seems redundant.

The real issue here is what Dean Lombardi's intent was when approaching the Richards and Voynov situations, and that is where the problem lies.

As the story goes, at draft day when Dean discovered the incident with Richards at the border he severed all trade talks and began taking steps toward contract termination. It took him less than a day to have everything ready to terminate Richards, while Slava Voynov is still free to use the King's facilities. Why is that?

Richards had a strangling cap hit while the younger Voynov is more valued and by far a better player at this point in his career.

This isn't about management caring about what Richards had done or Voynov would have been bounced right when he was sentenced.

Dean Lombardi did the right thing for all the wrong reasons. Beating your wife at least three times (he didn't learn his lesson the first two times) is a far worse crime than a player being caught with painkillers at the border because he plays one of the most dangerous sports in the world and that it is more common in most players than you think (read the article below).

I won't be angry if Richards is terminated with good reason (which it seems to be), but I will be if Voynov puts on the black and silver next season. We need to understand that this isn't about hockey anymore, a man had beaten his wife multiple times and could potentially suffer no consequences from the organization he works in. That is wrong.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2015/7/1/8874513/painkillers-and-double-standards-mike-richards-nhl-oxycontin-oxycodone

read this to further understand my point on Richards

Keep in mind that both Richards and Voynov came in as good players. Richards fizzled out. He needed to be moved out. Lombardi should have cut him loose last offseason, and found a loophole to get him off the books this year.

Voynov was not removed from the team because the criminal charges were not proven. Yes, they could have cut him loose, but say he was found not guilty, they would be out a really good defenseman. I don't think Dean should be scrutinized for keeping a guy who he didn't know was a criminal. He needs to make a statement about Slava now, and perhaps cut him loose.

I would.

Keep in mind that both Richards and Voynov came in as good players. Richards fizzled out. He needed to be moved out. Lombardi should have cut him loose last offseason, and found a loophole to get him off the books this year.

Voynov was not removed from the team because the criminal charges were not proven. Yes, they could have cut him loose, but say he was found not guilty, they would be out a really good defenseman. I don't think Dean should be scrutinized for keeping a guy who he didn't know was a criminal. He needs to make a statement about Slava now, and perhaps cut him loose.

I would.

I am completely fine with the Richards aspect if it is an actual violation of his contract. The bone I have to pick with Lombardi is that it shouldn't matter how good you are if you have done something terrible to another human being. Do not think about the hockey aspect to this, that should not be the point. He has claimed publicly that he cares for his players but he just threw Richards into the wind because he used painkillers while a convicted wife-beater will be in the lineup next year.

As to the criminal charges not being proven:

Flyercanuck posted this a while back:

"Voynov pled no-contest on Thursday to a misdemeanor count of corporal injury to a spouse, and his jail time will be up to 90 days along with 52 weeks of domestic violence counseling and eight hours of community service.

Voynov’s NHL agent, Rolland Hedges, said in statement: “Mr. Voynov accepts responsibility for his actions the night of the incident and will complete his sentence as required by the court. Mr. Voynov and his wife believe that ending domestic violence both inside and outside of professional sports must be a high priority.”

He has been convicted but he has not admitted his guilt, that is the only thing keeping him from being locked up long term.

I am completely fine with the Richards aspect if it is an actual violation of his contract. The bone I have to pick with Lombardi is that it shouldn't matter how good you are if you have done something terrible to another human being. Do not think about the hockey aspect to this, that should not be the point. He has claimed publicly that he cares for his players but he just threw Richards into the wind because he used painkillers while a convicted wife-beater will be in the lineup next year.

As to the criminal charges not being proven:

Flyercanuck posted this a while back:

"Voynov pled no-contest on Thursday to a misdemeanor count of corporal injury to a spouse, and his jail time will be up to 90 days along with 52 weeks of domestic violence counseling and eight hours of community service.

Voynov’s NHL agent, Rolland Hedges, said in statement: “Mr. Voynov accepts responsibility for his actions the night of the incident and will complete his sentence as required by the court. Mr. Voynov and his wife believe that ending domestic violence both inside and outside of professional sports must be a high priority.”

He has been convicted but he has not admitted his guilt, that is the only thing keeping him from being locked up long term.

This country is innocent until proven guilty. Why dump a guy who is still technically innocent? He should be terminated now. I get why he wasn't before. There is no reason why anyone should employ him.

This country is innocent until proven guilty. Why dump a guy who is still technically innocent? He should be terminated now. I get why he wasn't before. There is no reason why anyone should employ him.

You might have to read my original post again. I made the comparison that Richards was terminated a day after the border incident was discovered while Voynov is still technically free to use the King's facilities. How many days has it been since Voynov was convicted?

Innocent until proven guilty shall always overrule what a workplace has to say anyday, but Voynov has been proven guilty and no action was taken.

Amazing what a difference a year makes. Last year this time the Kings were champs, Lombardi was on the short list as the leagues top GM.

He blew it badly with Richards, absolutely should have released him using a compliance buyout. Unfortunately he was loyal to the player, using the 'looked him in the eye' test instead of seeing his erosion on the ice. Richards sneaking Oxy across the border was a blessing in disguise for the Kings. A year too late however.

Voynov was absolutely not Lombardi's fault, like @teenagemutantninjahertl pointed out, the Kings could not have cut him last year, if the charges were dropped Voynov would have been a top 4 free agent d-man free to sign with anyone. Now he has been convicted, and it is time to see what the league does.

You might have to read my original post again. I made the comparison that Richards was terminated a day after the border incident was discovered while Voynov is still technically free to use the King's facilities. How many days has it been since Voynov was convicted?

Innocent until proven guilty shall always overrule what a workplace has to say anyday, but Voynov has been proven guilty and no action was taken.

And there should be action taken. But there was no chance to do anything except suspend him until this summer. It's a pity nothing has been done yet this summer.

Amazing what a difference a year makes. Last year this time the Kings were champs, Lombardi was on the short list as the leagues top GM.

He blew it badly with Richards, absolutely should have released him using a compliance buyout. Unfortunately he was loyal to the player, using the 'looked him in the eye' test instead of seeing his erosion on the ice. Richards sneaking Oxy across the border was a blessing in disguise for the Kings. A year too late however.

Voynov was absolutely not Lombardi's fault, like @teenagemutantninjahertl pointed out, the Kings could not have cut him last year, if the charges were dropped Voynov would have been a top 4 free agent d-man free to sign with anyone. Now he has been convicted, and it is time to see what the league does.

The Kings will be interesting to watch this season, I don't know if they will make the playoffs  but we all know what happens when we say that....

As for Voynov, I know. I am not talking about a year ago. I am talk referring to when he was convicted, not when he was investigated. I am simply comparing the two situations and showing that Lombardi decided to discard Richards not because he "cares" about the guy, but for the sake of cap space. If Dean truly meant what he said, Voynov would have been terminated as an LA King when he was sentenced a couple weeks ago. That has not happened.

I completely understand the logic about if the charges got dropped last year but I am not talking about last year. My post outlines that.

I have a feeling the league will do nothing about it. The Kings will most likely claim that a guy who beat his wife three times will have "changed" and the NHL will continue on. Semyon Varlamov is still playing so it is nothing new here.

The biggest issue for Voynov is going to be visa/travel related.  If either the US or Canada decides he can't cross the border, he's hosed.  In addition, it's possible the US could simply pull his visa due to the charges and back to Russia he goes.  Possible, not probable, IMO.

If you played with a wife beater for multiple seasons, would you know it, would the coaching staff know it, would management know it?  I propose that you would know if this guy has a temper problem, and if he didn't cause the severe bruising his wife lived through, who did? A little bit of common sense deduction could have told the Kings everything they needed to know before any court dates. How many teammates heard him threaten his wife on the phone, slam things when it was not going his way with her? Sometimes, you have to look at the bigger picture, cut ties to assure your loyal fan base you don't condone these types of things...MUCH more important than gettting return for him etc. The LA Kings, employers of women abusers....live with that Dean.

We need to understand that this isn't about hockey anymore, a man had beaten his wife multiple times and could potentially suffer no consequences from the organization he works in. That is wrong.

Just understand it's not just a black eye for hockey for some reason it is throughout American sports. Just look at the NFL and the Ray Rice situation and today i wake up to find to Cowboy woman beater Greg Hardy has had his 10 game suspension reduced to 4.

I don't know why abusing women is deemed ok in America on a day like today when in Columbia, South Carolina (where i currently live) they finally take the confederate flag down because it offends black folks and many other which i also agree with and bravo....yet our poor women our mothers and our daughters regardless of color are still treated like dogs or less and they continue to let these folks like Voynov get away with it with a slap on the wrist.

Like it's almost ok.

Well it's not i have a 4 year old lil girl who i love more than anything i can even describe...and God forbid the day (and i pray she never has to go through this) but if  a guy ever lays a hand on her what i will do to him...with no weapon but my bare hands...the police will be coming after me...but this mentality must change and it starts with us.

Sports has to stop accepting this crap- all of them get rid of these clown...show our women the support they need ban these cowards for life....it starts with us.

I don't know why abusing women is deemed ok in America on a day like today when in Columbia, South Carolina (where i currently live) they finally take the confederate flag down because it offends black folks and many other which i also agree with and bravo....yet our poor women our mothers and our daughters regardless of color are still treated like dogs or less and they continue to let these folks like Voynov get away with it with a slap on the wrist.

Sheep are treated better!

In all seriousness, when I had a daughter it changed my views on this stuff. It should. And yet I see guys who have daughters behave like disgusting misogynistic pigs all the time and wonder if they're capable of connecting the dots, any dots. 

@Podein25  I was raised by "IT'S NEVER OK TO HIT A WOMAN"....some of these franchisces who employ these types of people should have to start paying the price in the court of public opinion. It does not take much to start a landslide of negavite publicity these days, a fact GM's and owners should keep in mind.

@Podein25  I was raised by "IT'S NEVER OK TO HIT A WOMAN"....some of these franchisces who employ these types of people should have to start paying the price in the court of public opinion. It does not take much to start a landslide of negavite publicity these days, a fact GM's and owners should keep in mind.

But just like Eagle fans who cheered every time Michael Vick threw a touchdown or Raven fans who lost their minds with ecstasy every time Ray Lewis stuffed a runner or if Ray Rice signed with the Jets and he suddenly got his game back and hit double digit touchdowns Rice jerseys would be everywhere. If the Wings had signed Mike instead of Brad Richards and Mike was the missing piece to a cup, you can bet your bottom line the fact that he had a trunk full of Oxy crossing into Canada the year before would not matter a bit to me.

It is the nature of sport, we act like we care about what is going on off the ice, but Oiler fans sure cheered for McTavish and forgot his killing a girl driving. There are a half a dozen people in the NHL who I find repugnant but if they came to Detroit and scored a game seven overtime goal you can betcha I am gonna be jumping for joy.

It is the nature of sport, we act like we care about what is going on off the ice, but Oiler fans sure cheered for McTavish and forgot his killing a girl driving. There are a half a dozen people in the NHL who I find repugnant but if they came to Detroit and scored a game seven overtime goal you can betcha I am gonna be jumping for joy.

You realize that sports are just a game right? These are real people with real lives and have committed real crimes. Ray Lewis murdered and got away with it, won a superbowl, and is considered a role model as a result. He killed someone and everyone forgot because he won a championship. Does that seem right? Is it justified?   Slava Voynov beat his wife three times, the last time he slammed her head into a TV screen. Could you jump for joy for this guy if he won your team a cup? We need to stop "acting" like we care and actually do something about it. Off-ice actions should never be forgiven because of what someone can do on it.

Believe me, if a sharks fan like myself is saying I would rather not employ a guy who will guarantee the team a cup, that is saying something.

You realize that sports are just a game right? These are real people with real lives and have committed real crimes. Ray Lewis murdered and got away with it, won a superbowl, and is considered a role model as a result. He killed someone and everyone forgot because he won a championship. Does that seem right? Is it justified?   Slava Voynov beat his wife three times, the last time he slammed her head into a TV screen. Could you jump for joy for this guy if he won your team a cup? We need to stop "acting" like we care and actually do something about it. Off-ice actions should never be forgiven because of what someone can do on it.

Believe me, if a sharks fan like myself is saying I would rather not employ a guy who will guarantee the team a cup, that is saying something.

Great post.

Ray Lewis murdered and got away with it, won a superbowl, and is considered a role model as a result. He killed someone and everyone forgot because he won a championship

Well you can't say everyone...maybe some....but don't clump me into that...

• 4 weeks later...

Your argument was good, up until this point. This is where I fundamentally disgree with you. It isn't the responsibility of an employer to punish an employee for behaviour that occurs OUTSIDE of work. This is the responsibility of the justice system and the NHL needs to butt out. It sets a dangerous precedent if you allow employers to dispense their own form of justice on employees. :(

The correct response from the NHL here is "do nothing". If one of your players ends up in jail, then you can worry about the details of what happens to their contract. If a player gets arrested for drinking, getting into bar fights, or whatever, and is released by police, then the NHL doesn't have the right to take any action regarding that player. A player's private life is their own business and should never be grounds for termination at any company unless their actions prevent them from doing their job. ie: Can't play hockey from prison.

The real reason this is happening is so the Kings can get out of honoring the guaranteed contracts they made.

The correct response from the NHL here is "do nothing". If one of your players ends up in jail, then you can worry about the details of what happens to their contract. If a player gets arrested for drinking, getting into bar fights, or whatever, and is released by police, then the NHL doesn't have the right to take any action regarding that player. A player's private life is their own business and should never be grounds for termination at any company unless their actions prevent them from doing their job. ie: Can't play hockey from prison.

Incorrect.  The player and the NHL have  binding contracts as directed by the CBA which both players and the league (owners) agreed upon the content.  I suggest you take a look at it.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Archived