Coyotes add tough guy

Scott19RESIZED.jpg

Arizona signed enforcer John Scott to a 1 year deal, just another in an increasing number of tough guys coming to the Pacific Division this summer.

There is no need for an enforcer these days...and these guys will just go away if stupid clubs would just stop signing the clowns...

...it seems like my Flyers have finally come around and embraced this at least at the moment...they let Stortini walk and as of yet haven't signed Rosehill to a new deal...so hell if the Flyers can buy in any club should be able to...the last 4 Cup winners haven't had goons...those days are over.

The new style is the hybrid mini goon/grinders whk just play a small role and add grit/sandpaper to the lineup, but you have to be able to play some...just like Ryan White is the perfect example role player PK guy who can play pretty much anywhere in the bottom 6.

Oh and let's not forget pretty damn good at faceoffs....and for 800K and steal for a team first guy...these are the new breed...

There is no need for an enforcer these days...and these guys will just go away if stupid clubs would just stop signing the clowns...

...it seems like my Flyers have finally come around and embraced this at least at the moment...they let Stortini walk and as of yet haven't signed Rosehill to a new deal...so hell if the Flyers can buy in any club should be able to...the last 4 Cup winners haven't had goons...those days are over.

The new style is the hybrid mini goon/grinders whk just play a small role and add grit/sandpaper to the lineup, but you have to be able to play some...just like Ryan White is the perfect example role player PK guy who can play pretty much anywhere in the bottom 6.

Oh and let's not forget pretty damn good at faceoffs....and for 800K and steal for a team first guy...these are the new breed...

I completely agree with you. Guys like Andrew Shaw are the new enforcers of this league. It is impossible to put a good roster together with someone who can't play offense or defense.

Teams are interested in bringing these guys in because the feel like they need someone to protect other players. This usually happens when a team only has one skilled player that can be easily shut down or something bad happens. i.e. John Scott in Buffalo. i.e. John Scott in San Jose. i.e. John Scott in Arizona. It's unfortunate, but the reality.

@teenagemutantninjahertl  It really seems like enforcer signings are usually knee jerk reactions to a division rival getting tougher. You usually get this "enforcer arms race", and really....it is stupid. GM's should be focusing on speed and smarts...not adding goons that can barely skate. Don't spend cap money on guys who will not play in the playoffs.

Ho-hum.

John Scott hasn't been relevant since.....well, never.

Not in this day and age of hockey.

I am all for a team having toughness (and honestly, I do have a liking for enforcers), but these days, a guy who is just a pair of fists on skates is simply a waste of a roster spot.

There are plenty of guys in the league who are tough, can fight if need be, but STILL can play actual hockey (whether that is top or bottom six), and Mr. John Scott here, though I am sure he is a very pleasant man and great family man off the ice, simply doesn't fit the bill of what a modern hockey player is.

With Arizona projected to struggle, Scott may see more ice time than he warrants, but once the Yotes start getting some chemistry with their young players and the vets who can actually play, look for him to be a consistent healthy scratch most nights and maybe even trade bait at the deadline for a team who THINKS they may be able to get some hockey playmaking from Scott to "bolster" their team for a playoff run.

"Bolstering" their lineup, of course, means he will see very limited ice time if not a healthy scratch for his NEW team and likely won't sniff a minute of playoff hockey. ;)

Not terribly impressed by this signing, as you can tell, but I guess it makes a bit of sense if the Yotes are gonna run out very young players and need a guard dog to be sure no one takes unnecessary runs at said young players.

The Coyotes offseason, good lord, the best player they have added is Pronger....

Grossman is gone the city of Philly is looking for another orange pilon for the street crew now.

Scott, Good lord. His claim to fame was getting chopped like a cherry tree by Kessel.

Anders Lindback may be the worst goalie in the NHL.

Boyd Gordon is a solid 4th line center but the cost was Korpikoski who is a very good player.

Downie. Enough said.

Brad Richardson. Why??

Michalek and Vermette were brought back. I like Vermette but Michalek has zero left.

What sucks is they really do have a good core of young players to build around who I think can be solid, but this God Awful bunch of supporting cast vets that they have surrounded the kids with a bunch of has beens and never weres. A strange offseason that casts doubt on the rumor that Maloney and Tippett are brilliant.

Good for Scott, Nice to see an enforcer signing somewhere.

The NHL is slowly losing it's roots and identity and weeding the enforcers out of the league to appease the bleeding hearts is sickening to us old school die hard hockey fans.!

The league and fans in a few years will be wondering why injuries are up and will fail to realize that by eliminating the enforcers ,the rats of the league will not be accountable for their actions other than by a slap on the wrist from the NHL instead of taking a few good shots to the head from the likes of Scott and others.

@

Welcome to the board.

I don't have any problem at all with fighting in hockey. Players who can't actually play hockey, i do have a problem with. I prefer the Wayne Simmonds' of the world to the John Scotts.

The NHL is slowly losing it's roots and identity and weeding the enforcers out of the league to appease the bleeding hearts is sickening to us old school die hard hockey fans.!

The league and fans in a few years will be wondering why injuries are up and will fail to realize that by eliminating the enforcers ,the rats of the league will not be accountable for their actions other than by a slap on the wrist from the NHL instead of taking a few good shots to the head from the likes of Scott and others.

I agree with @flyercanuck

I may be female, but I like good ol fashioned toughness in the league AND the men who hold others accountable (I.E. I DON'T want fighting to go away!)......however, when looking at a guy like John Scott and his ilk, well, like I said before, frankly, he is a waste of a roster spot because I don't think the man can play (or at least doesn't seem to care for that part of the game as much) actual hockey and the league IS evolving to where you have guys like the aforementioned Wayne Simmonds, guys like Brandon Prust, David Backes, Milan Lucic (even though I can't stand him!), and others who are still plenty tough, WILL take rat players to task, but can play the game of hockey.

You echoed my sentiment on rat play....one that I've made on many forums: without enforcers, the rats take over the league, slaps on the wrists abound, and injuries WILL be up.

However, no need to keep a dinosaur like Scott taking up a roster spot.

You mean to tell me Arizona couldn't better spend their money on a guy who, while not as raw tough as Scott, that could STILL play that role while throwing in some 3rd or 4th line quality NHL hockey?

I doubt that.

And if the Yotes couldn't find an NHL'er that could do that (most of the good hybrid enforcers are taken), you can always scour the minors as I am SURE there is some unheralded guy scrapping away down there who would have no problems taking on an enforcer role and could probably provide some more actual hockey than a guy like Scott would.

I feel like enforcers are kinda useless these days and really only fight other enforcers.

Which is sad. Like you, I miss the days where players were held accountable.

But the game I remember most with John Scott fighting for the Sharks......Anaheim. He fought Jackman.

Whohoo. two tough guys fighting. Not much of a fight, but clear win for Scott. Jackman had no interest in tangling with Scott.

Sharks were whooping them 4-1

Jackman then went after Vlasic with a slash, then drops his mitts after Vlasic does not just take it.

Next thing you know, Lovejoy is going after Pavelski in a fight.

Next up, Perry runs over Niemi and slashes Braun and crosschecks him and drops the gloves to attack him.

Next up, Scott goes after Jackman again. Jackman obviously wants none of it as he drops to the ice in two barely punches.

Next up, Getzlaf goes after 19 year old Mueller and the refs jump to the rescue before Getz kills him. Sheppard goes after Getz for attacking the kid. Which was not a great idea since he was flattened with 1 uppercut.

Soo, errrr, Scott did get Jackman again in the game after he went for Vlasic, but ended up with an instigator, and still Scott did not deter them from going after Vlasic, Braun, Niemi, Pavelski and a 19 year old Mueller.

In fairness, Getzlaf and Perry ran like punks to the bench and quit chirping any time Scott was on the ice and gave Thornton wide latitude, but Scott sucks at Hockey and only plays 5 minutes a game, so they just went right back at it once he was sitting.

Thornton just completely controlled and smashed Getzlaf the only time they fought, so since then, Getzlaf doesn't poke the bear. Not that TMac let Thornton fight much

I did like that Mueller was pumped and ready to fight Getzlaf. But I am glad the refs stopped it before because I think the kid would have gotten killed at his age.

tumblr_ne33j6whCK1sao59co1_400.gif

I'm starting to think this was a fan entertainment thing, signing Scott. The Yotes will probably not contend for a playoff spot, but everybody knows, building lights up like a Christmas tree when a good fight starts. It will give the fans something to cheer about as the Yote's climb to respectability begins in ernest.

Archived