Travis Konecny

Mad Dog

If they can move one defenseman, that makes a world of difference. Schenn opens up $3.5M. I'd love to see Konecny for 9 real games. It's only 2 preseason games, but so far I think he has the best shot at getting that chance.

Yeah, but they haven't moved anybody yet.

I've always said if a guy plays himself onto the team they will make a move to accommodate (Hextall has pretty much said this, too).

But Hextall's apparently not a fan of the nine game cup of coffee and, quite frankly, if a guy has shown that he absolutely must be on the team, he should be up for the season, not just nine games.

YMMV

I've always said if a guy plays himself onto the team they will make a move to accommodate (Hextall has pretty much said this, too).

But Hextall's apparently not a fan of the nine game cup of coffee and, quite frankly, if a guy has shown that he absolutely must be on the team, he should be up for the season, not just nine games.

YMMV

Q3sql52.jpg

@radoran   I don't get the not wanting to do the 9 games thing. If a kid has proven to be an asset, it is a nice reward AND more importantly, it lets a kid know exactly how fast the game is and what he needs to work on once he returns to his jr team.

@radoran   I don't get the not wanting to do the 9 games thing. If a kid has proven to be an asset, it is a nice reward AND more importantly, it lets a kid know exactly how fast the game is and what he needs to work on once he returns to his jr team.

I'm trying to find links, but I do recall Hextall saying he's not a fan of the process.

And it very well could be that a team that really needs to get out of the blocks on a good foot would want to have the roster pretty much set rather than giving a kid who's not going to be there 10 games in a "reward" - especially with a new coach and a new system.

What do you do? Set lines going into the season or give a kid a "reward"? I'd rather have my lines set and moving forward as a team.

I fully acknowledge others may disagree and have very valid views on the subject.

And, again, if someone plays themselves onto the roster then IMO they should be on the roster.

I'm trying to find links, but I do recall Hextall saying he's not a fan of the process.

And it very well could be that a team that really needs to get out of the blocks on a good foot would want to have the roster pretty much set rather than giving a kid who's not going to be there 10 games in a "reward" - especially with a new coach and a new system.

What do you do? Set lines going into the season or give a kid a "reward"? I'd rather have my lines set and moving forward as a team.

I fully acknowledge others may disagree and have very valid views on the subject.

And, again, if someone plays themselves onto the roster then IMO they should be on the roster.

Yeah, I seem to recall a philly.com article where Hexy professed to not being a fan of the 9 game call up. I was not thinking start of the season, more of a injury replacement at mid season type of thing. I'm with you, when you are starting a season with a brand new coach, you should be icing your very best team and zoning in on "the new system" type of thing. That is not really the time to accommodate a kid, for reward or any other purpose.

Yet. It's still early days for sure. 

And if he can manage to move Grossmann and Pronger's contract, I think Schenn can be moved.

In any case, I thought our defense looked better last night than most nights last season. Schenn and MacDud definitely drag us down, no question. They would be my healthy scratches on most nights.

What do you do?

Send him back.

Didn't we all just see this personally with the Eagles, it's easy to look good in the preseason when the other team is mixed and vanilla and there is no scheming and planning and half the damn team isn't putting in the effort...like when something that matters is on the line.

Eagles lead the preseason in the in points scored and all that. What happen when games started to count and teams and players ratcheted up the intensity and physicality??

You don't have to answer i know you know.

It's good to see him play well but just send the kid back to continue to grow.

Yet. It's still early days for sure.

Absolutely. I'm not at all saying "they won't" but I do believe that it's going to take more than a split-squad game against the Islanders' AHL squad and one preseason game against the Rags to do it, though.

Anybody who's going to force their way onto this roster is (IMO) going to need to make it impossible for them not to keep him.

I think Schenn can be moved.

I think Schenn (last year of contract) can be fairly easily moved. It's getting anything back that's the issue.

Schenn and MacDud definitely drag us down, no question. They would be my healthy scratches on most nights.

$8.6M worth of healthy scratches, not counting VLC and/or Umburglar.

Unbelievable.

#homercoaster

bsolutely. I'm not at all saying "they won't" but I do believe that it's going to take more than a split-squad game against the Islanders' AHL squad and one preseason game against the Rags to do it, though.

Anybody who's going to force their way onto this roster is (IMO) going to need to make it impossible for them not to keep him.

Yes, I agree. No need to make decisions on trades until it becomes inevitable. I would keep Konecny and Provorov around for a longer look, and send back Sanheim.

Unbelievable.

#homercoaster

It's a little sickening, isn't it? Such poor management.

Absolutely. I'm not at all saying "they won't" but I do believe that it's going to take more than a split-squad game against the Islanders' AHL squad and one preseason game against the Rags to do it, though.

I think Schenn (last year of contract) can be fairly easily moved. It's getting anything back that's the issue.

Unbelievable.

#homercoaster

what a disaster  #HomerBlows

It's a little sickening, isn't it? Such poor management.

A little sickening? It had - and still has - a dramatic, devastating effect on this team; no two ways about it.  I still cringe every time I even hear Homer's name mentioned anywhere. 

he, along with Sanheim and Provorov, where sent back 

Well I guess that solves that problem, lol.

Hextall - having seen many players chewed up in the Flyers system before they were ready who went on to have at least somewhat respectable careers - really doesn't like to rush young players.

Going back over 25 years, I think we can see that it "worked out" with Simon Gagne and Claude Giroux.

That's leaving a LOT on the table - Williams, Zubrus, Prospal, Niinimaa, Sharp, (Seidenberg), Pitkanen, Downie, JVR. It's not a great track record.

Even Crater/Richards had the "benefit" of the lockout year or likely both of them would have been on the Flyers. And we know how that went, anyway...

BC16 - funny you say that... I made the same comparison to my son while watching.  Definitely has better wheels than Recchi and I would be thrilled if he turned into that type of player.   

Loved Mark Recchi when he was a Flyer. Still think that was Bobby Clarke's biggest mistake of letting him go and signing Mike Knuble and Turner Stevenson instead.

I believe Hexy talked about the nine game ordeal on the show Breakfast On Broadstreet. He also said that it disrupts the prospect when he goes back to his team and has to change mindset in regards to playing on another team and learning to play with other linemates, sytems relearning, falling into another situation with the team.

I guess you can kind of explain it like you just started a new job and instead of going with the new hires for two weeks of training you get put on the floor and start taking calls, fixing some issues and then after three days go back with your training group you got hired along with and bring your empty notebook and have to try to catch up to the training, even though you might have better skills than all those new hires, you still have the un nerving responsibility to acclimate yourself to the process of taking in all that information and making it all make some sense and be able to perform. It's not impossible but Hexy sees the value of letting the prospects start from day one the right way and not shortcut the process, just because you can. "No player was ever hurt by developing..." was his goto quote I believe.

Archived