Travis Konecny

Mad Dog

So far... a big SO FAR.... he looks really, really good.  I know it's a very small sample, but there is a lot to like about his potential.   I like his vision, his hockey sense, elusive speed, and quick hands. You can tell when one's skillset is just there - you either have it or you don't. 

Not saying he will - or should - make the team.  But it's hard not get excited about the kid.

Well, both were drafted in the early 20s, both were rookies of the year in their respective Junior league... um, both shoot right....

Just busting stones. Hope he turns out so. Seems to have a lot of desirable qualities for a top-6 player.

Quote by Lecavalier after Mondays game.

"He's fast," "He's turning one way, turning the other way. I don't know him that much, but on that one shift, I was just kind of watching him, mesmerized by what he was doing.
"Nobody could catch up. Kind of like (Tyler) Johnson in Tampa," he added. "He reminds me of him a little bit."

:D 

Quote by Lecavalier after Mondays game.

"He's fast," "He's turning one way, turning the other way. I don't know him that much, but on that one shift, I was just kind of watching him, mesmerized by what he was doing.
"Nobody could catch up. Kind of like (Tyler) Johnson in Tampa," he added. "He reminds me of him a little bit."

:D 

Me likey!!!

Seems to have a lot of desirable qualities for a top-6 player.

Yes, Travis seems to have "top 6" written all over him. You can tell his hockey sense is off the charts, the puck seems to follow these types cause their instinct tells them where to be and when. I *really* like the idea of him being top 6 eventually because of his outstanding work ethic. Guys that are tough to play against and are on the ice with top 6 minutes just make the team that much harder to play against. It gives you that aggressive edge that gives a team a distinct personality.....a quality that has been all but missing for years and years.

Eklund, a professed Flyer fan, had some interesting comments on some players from last nights game against the Rags....

"As for Provorov and Konecny...

On Provorov...

Provorov looked nervous to start the game, but as he grew more and more comfortable his skill level and anticipation really shined through. He was ALWAYS a step ahead of most of the players on the ice, sometimes more than one step ahead. A great example was when he carried the puck into the offensive zone, dished the puck off, and went right to the net where he planted himself to set up a screen. Not a move often seen from a D-man. You might be thinking, "that sounds like a play where he gets himself caught," and for many d-men you would be right...But not Provorov. His speed is ridiculous and he uses it along with his hockey sense as a weapon.

On Konecny...

The most painful part of this NHL season for Flyers fans will be the day they send this kid back to Ottawa for one more year. He is going to be a fan favorite and I heard one fan say last night, "What a tease." Konecny can do it all and has a HUGE "it" factor to him. The best way to describe his play is he looks like he just flat out LOVES to play the game of hockey. He is always up on his skates and ALWAYS moving...and that makes him hard to match up against. He can be extremely sneaky...He isn't big, but he plays big. His hands are top 5 hands in any draft. He is surgical at high speeds with his stick-handling. He has that sense of "where the puck is going to be" that is rarely seen. Giroux may be the only Flyer in the last 20 years able to make the puck find him like a magnet in a similar way. The Flyers knew what they were doing when they traded up to get him....no question.

Other notes from the game (from the Flyers perspective..most of the Islanders top players were in Brooklyn)

*Lecavalier and Umberger both looked MUCH faster than the last time we saw them and Sam Gagner is a PERFECT fit with Vinny. Both players have a need to play with skilled players to be effective and it just works with the two of them.

*Medvedev will be much more of a force than I thought he could be. His game can best be described by "Large and Confident." His experience is blatant and honestly he is perfect compliment to the Wild Young Gun named Provorov. Medvedev on the point on the power play is scary. He has the size and skill to run that center point spot the Flyers use."

@jammer2

As I was watching the Rangers game, I couldn't help but thinking the same thing about Medvedev. The word confidence is what I thought of as I was watching him play. 

He really strikes me as a d-man who has a combination of decent mobility and brute force.  I like how he has almost a complete disregard for the opposing team's players.  He will walk through the bodies if he has to.  We didn't have that since Hatch left the game, except Medvedev is *much* more offensively adapt than Hatch could even dream of.

So far... a big SO FAR.... he looks really, really good. I know it's a very small sample, but there is a lot to like about his potential. I like his vision, his hockey sense, elusive speed, and quick hands. You can tell when one's skillset is just there - you either have it or you don't.

Not saying he will - or should - make the team. But it's hard not get excited about the kid.

You'll get it now. How dare you? a rookie could never be good enough to play with the Flyers?

Joking aside, The problem of course is the age old one: He's got to last the full year as e can't play in the AHL and a guy like him has never played that much hockey at that level.

Definitely give him his 9 games or whatever though. That's nine games or so to move Binny and Umby to make room!

Fat chance.

Definitely give him his 9 games or whatever though. That's nine games or so to move Binny and Umby to make room!

Fat chance.

The main problem - aside from Hextall's professed reluctance to do the "nine game" thing - is the salary cap.

Once they send Porter down they could give Konecny a cup or coffee, but the team is running with $8,333 in cap room (hockeyscap) and that only goes up to $583K on the cap once Porter is sent down.

Another significant question is Manning. But even moving his contract to the A (he's not waiver exempt) only opens up $1.2M in total space.

Konecny's $925 prorates to about $11K a game, which would be about $100K for his nine games. That would leave just over $1M in cap space.

And the Flyers then still have 13 forwards, 2 goalies and 7 defensemen on the roster.

The sad truth is that the Umburglar/VLC contracts are really making it difficult for Laughtons and Konecnys to make the team. And it's not their fault at all.

Konecny reminded me of a young Mark Recchi last night, maybe a bit better in the skating department. He's looking like he's going to be a real good one. Hopefully when he's sent back to Ottawa, Jeff Brown lets him run wild for a bit. 

BC16 - funny you say that... I made the same comparison to my son while watching.  Definitely has better wheels than Recchi and I would be thrilled if he turned into that type of player.   

The main problem - aside from Hextall's professed reluctance to do the "nine game" thing - is the salary cap.

Once they send Porter down they could give Konecny a cup or coffee, but the team is running with $8,333 in cap room (hockeyscap) and that only goes up to $583K on the cap once Porter is sent down.

Another significant question is Manning. But even moving his contract to the A (he's not waiver exempt) only opens up $1.2M in total space.

Konecny's $925 prorates to about $11K a game, which would be about $100K for his nine games. That would leave just over $1M in cap space.

And the Flyers then still have 13 forwards, 2 goalies and 7 defensemen on the roster.

The sad truth is that the Umburglar/VLC contracts are really making it difficult for Laughtons and Konecnys to make the team. And it's not their fault at all.

If they can move one defenseman, that makes a world of difference. Schenn opens up $3.5M. I'd love to see Konecny for 9 real games. It's only 2 preseason games, but so far I think he has the best shot at getting that chance.

nobody is taking those guys - just stop.

Best bet is moving the Schenn stiffs....

I would have said the exact same thing yesterday, and while one pre-season game a comeback make....BUT, Ummby did look significantly better in the Rags game (really, up is the only way to go after last years debacle...lol). If his offense comes back,, and he stays injury free, I could see a contender being interested around trade deadline time. I feel a whole lot better about moving him right now as opposed to just a day ago anyways. .

I think a few forwards (who i will leave unnamed!)can take note and learn to play with effort and determination like this kid in this link...

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CPi6fnCUYAAz_Xj.mp4

One sure fire way to get noticed is to impose your will on opponents, looks like it came natural to him!

I would have said the exact same thing yesterday, and while one pre-season game a comeback make....BUT, Ummby did look significantly better in the Rags game (really, up is the only way to go after last years debacle...lol). If his offense comes back,, and he stays injury free, I could see a contender being interested around trade deadline time. I feel a whole lot better about moving him right now as opposed to just a day ago anyways. .

I must have been watching with a very cynical eye... I thought Umby looked very much the same as the Umby of last year. One step behind and expecting the worst even from himself. (ie: looking toward the back of the net as soon as the puck was shot)

Archived