2015-16 Calder kids, leagues to rookies to watch

yave1964

This may be the deepest class of kids to hit the league in years, I am leaving out guys like Teemu Pulkinnen and David Pastrnak who played some last season because of lack of room. A quick intro to the leagues top rookies for 2015-16:

CONNOR MCDAVID: s-l225.jpgThe next one. We have been hearing of this kid for years, since he was at least 15, and it seems fitting that he goes to Edmonton somehow. He could be a truly great player.

JAKE EICHEL: 2nd pick in the draft would have been the first in many a draft. Will begin centering the second line but has star written all over him.

MAX DOMI: s-l225.jpga little guy like his father, can mix it up but will center the Coyotes second line because he can flat out score, had 32 goals and 102 points in 57 games last year in Juniors.

DYLAN LARKIN: a 19 year old makes the Wings right out of camp. The times they are a changing, Larkin looked brilliant in the preseason and will center a middle six line to start the year and is hoping to make enough of an impression to stick when Datsyuk comes back in a month.

SERGEI PLOTNIKOV: Penguins are hoping that Plotnikov will mesh well with Malkin (they looked brilliant together in the preseason) and the Pens are hoping for 30 goals.

NOAH HANIFINs-l225.jpg: Brilliant d-man will play 2nd pair minutes with the Canes and QB the second power play. Brilliantly talented young player.

SAM BENNETT: Calgary needs forwards who can score. Enter this kid who took the postseason by storm.

ANTHONY DUCLAIR: I am hoping the Coyotes put Domi and Duclair on a line together, they seem made for each other, Domi setting up the oppurtunistic Duclair.

NIKOLAJ EHLERS: Jets plan on giving the 19 year old a shot at a middle six forward role this year. Ehlers looks like a natural goal scorer and should fit right in.

JAKEs-l225.jpgvirtanen surprised by making the Canucks out of camp with his booming shot and center Jared Mccan did as well. Both have bright futures and hope to inject youth in an aging roster.

There are simply so many. Colton Parayko has puck mover written all over him in St. Louis. Reinhart in Buffalo has bottom six quality center written on him. Rantanen in Colorado has created a buzz playing alongside Duchene. Viktor arvidsson of Nashville led the league in points scored in the AHL last year. Valeri Nichushkin in Dallas is all but forgotten after missing most of last year but he could star with his club.

Best rookie class since Crosby and Ovie in 2005-06 and dont forget that class which included Perry and Getzlaf and Parise and more was in fact a 'double class' after the strike season of the year before wiped out an entire season. There are a good dozen players who I left out for this years class who could all make an impact. There is a reason that over 100 players who appeared in the NHL last year are still without contracts. The kids are going to take the league by storm and this may be considered the best rookie class ever when it is all said and done, and I am not prone to such hyperbole as this.

I think that's a pretty good list. The first three you listed are my picks to be Calder finalists this year. McDavid and Eichel are pretty obvious choices, but I think Domi might be something special. For an offensively starved team like the Coyotes, anything he can add will be huge.

Here is to Jack Eichel lighting the Sens on fire

Dude, chill. This is all about a game. A fun game, and one we all love very much, but it's a game. You don't have to throw your opinions of Eichel in the face of everyone who comments on him.

@ScottM  The Hawks rookie Panarin is a Russian who will undoubtedly make a splash. First off, it's built right into his deal that if he is not on the Hawks roster, he is free to go back to the KHL to pursue a deal. The Hawks, knowing this have made room, and not only made room, but placed him on the 2nd line with Kane. He scored in his very first game last night....more to come no doubt.

@ScottM  The Hawks rookie Panarin is a Russian who will undoubtedly make a splash. First off, it's built right into his deal that if he is not on the Hawks roster, he is free to go back to the KHL to pursue a deal. The Hawks, knowing this have made room, and not only made room, but placed him on the 2nd line with Kane. He scored in his very first game last night....more to come no doubt.

I've heard some good things about him, but I'm not as familiar with him as I probably should be. I need to study up on him a bit more.

I'm thinking the youngster to make the biggest splash (not named Connor) will be Pasternak on the Bruins. He had pts in 20 of his last 27 games, and on a Bruins roster which should have trouble scoring, whoever shows the most gets to be on the top pp....he is not eligible for the Calder due to how many games he played last year, but is only 19.

I'm thinking the youngster to make the biggest splash (not named Connor) will be Pasternak on the Bruins. He had pts in 20 of his last 27 games, and on a Bruins roster which should have trouble scoring, whoever shows the most gets to be on the top pp....he is not eligible for the Calder due to how many games he played last year, but is only 19.

The Bruins could certainly use something like that. What kind of numbers do you think he'll post this year?

The Bruins could certainly use something like that. What kind of numbers do you think he'll post this year?

I honestly think he posts 20/35 numbers, depending on how long it takes for him to break into the top pp. BUT...the sky is the limit for this kid...he is simply electric in the open ice and boasts God given talent.

@yave1964

Mine go...

1)McDavid

2)Panarin

3)Pasternak

4)Larkin

5)Ehlers

I left Pasternak off the original list of top rookies because he played 27 games, I should have mentioned him in the honorable mentions along with guys like Pulkinnen and even Teravainen because of their amount of time with the big clubs last year. Ehlers tho, the kid could be special.

@yave1964  It was really tough to not include Domi or Eichel, but I think there is at least a chance that Domi can be sent back to London....his first month will be huge, he has to not only score, but play disciplined positional hockey. Eichel will of course stay the year, but he will be hard pressed to contribute past Christmas, he has not played nearly as many games as he will be forced to this year, and it might affect production.

I have seen a lot of rookies this year, from Eichel to Panarin and Domi. Eichel is the best player in the group right now. He looks fantastic in a few games so far. He may not have the points of Panarin, but he definitely will continue to put pucks in the net. And don't forget about Connor McDavid. He will figure it out soon. I think Max Domi suffers from playing on a team without much offensive talent, and since this award usually goes to an offensive forward, he probably won't win.

Current rankings:

1. Eichel

2. Panarin

3. McDavid

3. Larkin

5. Domi

@JackStraw  Even more impressive than the rather nice snipe was the all out hustle to retrieve that puck and stay on side....VERY NICE!!  Gotta like that if you're a Sabre's fan...or just an NHL fan in general!!

Exactly. That's a veteran play. Heck of a release on that shot too.

Im going to wait till halfway through the season to start truly forming opinions.

If Hertl's knee was not blown out by Brown in 13-14, Mackinnon might not have won the calder with the pace Hertl was on.

McDavid has not scored yet, but has looked incredible at times. His wheels are something else. Once he figures it out, he is going to be a force.

Larkin impressed me enough seeing his play to add him to the fantasy league in hopes he keeps it up. He might slow down as the season drags on, but so far I am very impressed.

Im going to wait till halfway through the season to start truly forming opinions.

If Hertl's knee was not blown out by Brown in 13-14, Mackinnon might not have won the calder with the pace Hertl was on.

McDavid has not scored yet, but has looked incredible at times. His wheels are something else. Once he figures it out, he is going to be a force.

Larkin impressed me enough seeing his play to add him to the fantasy league in hopes he keeps it up. He might slow down as the season drags on, but so far I am very impressed.

In that St. Louis game, McDavid walked Jay Bouwmeester like he was standing still. It was some scary speed. Bouwmeester is a terrific skater and had lots of room for most guys, but the kids was gone.

It's at the 3:00 mark. For some reason, youtube isn't playing nice with me.

Duclair might just deserve a little more talk now. Sure it was one game, but that hat trick was quite impressive. He and Domi together... That could get scary.

Duclair will need to play more minutes than the 11 he's on for right now. If he keeps scoring, then that could happen, but he also won't keep carrying a SH% of 50%, either.

For what it's worth, Panarin could be set up very well to win the Calder.

• He's 23 and entering his 8th year of playing pro hockey.
  • The guy outscored teammate Ilya Kovalchuk last year. He can pick up points.
  • He has great and proven offensive stars around him.
  • He won't be asked to play tough minutes.

Doesn't make him the best prospect, but he's in a very nice position right now.

Duclair will need to play more minutes than the 11 he's on for right now. If he keeps scoring, then that could happen, but he also won't keep carrying a SH% of 50%, either.

For what it's worth, Panarin could be set up very well to win the Calder.

• He's 23 and entering his 8th year of playing pro hockey.
  • The guy outscored teammate Ilya Kovalchuk last year. He can pick up points.
  • He has great and proven offensive stars around him.
  • He won't be asked to play tough minutes.

Doesn't make him the best prospect, but he's in a very nice position right now.

Yeah, I'm not saying Duclair is a Clader finalist or anything, just that he's showing he may be more than expected.

You could well be right about Panarin. Four points in four games is a good start for anyone, let alone someone in his first year in the league.

ou could well be right about Panarin. Four points in four games is a good start for anyone, let alone someone in his first year in the league.

The 4 pts is nice, but the really promising thing is his quality chances per game. He generated 3-4 really quality chances against the Flyers, and the other game were similar. He's so dynamic he forced his way unto the top pp unit with Toews, Kane, Hossa and Kieth....and the chances of him staying there are pretty good also. They have even tried him with Kane and Toews on a regular line, but his main linemates, Kane and Anisimov are not exactly chopped liver. This kid has immense talent and is in a real strong spot linemate wise. Real nice combo.

The topper is he can go straight to the KHL if he is not on the Hawks roster, virtually guaranteeing he is a Hawk for the entire year. The Hawks are considerably thinned at forward, so no way to they allow their top prospect to go the KHL and maybe get a huge deal there.....plus, he carries a real small cap hit, very important for the Hawks to get goals from forwards *not* making 10.5 mill per year....lol.

Archived