Mason

King Knut

Mason is a proven talent in the NHL...not worried in the slightest. ANYONE posting his kinda numbers with our CRAP defense last year should be reveled to God like status, he gets every benefit of the doubt from me....even 4-5 bad starts in a row!!

Amen jammer...  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to respect Hextall's call for privacy and assume this is a very serious issue.  LaBarberra is certainly used to being a backup and we shouldn't worry about a relatively short hiatus.  Give credit to Hexy and company for signing Neuvirth. He is proving his value very quickly.

Peace,

Howie

I'm not saying pull him right now after one terrible game. I said Mason should start shaping up quickly or he will lose some playing time.

Goalies struggle all the time, and it's great that we have a competent back-up who can step in when needed. Mason struggled to start off last season as well. Unless his struggles continue for awhile, he'll always be our #1 goalie

Goalies struggle all the time, and it's great that we have a competent back-up who can step in when needed. Mason struggled to start off last season as well. Unless his struggles continue for awhile, he'll always be our #1 goalie

Right, but Mason wasn't out because he struggled. They wanted him back in.

But if Neuvirth goes out and follows a shutout with another shutout - when do you pull him for Mason? I think that's UF's point.

Mason is the #1 guy, but if Neuvirth makes it so you have to play him, I would bet (like keeping Laughton) they would.

Right, but Mason wasn't out because he struggled. They wanted him back in.

But if Neuvirth goes out and follows a shutout with another shutout - when do you pull him for Mason? I think that's UF's point.

Mason is the #1 guy, but if Neuvirth makes it so you have to play him, I would bet (like keeping Laughton) they would.

Hak has to straddle a rather thin line, one that does not shake Mason's confidence....but at the same time, playing the hot hand. A rookie coach is always going to lean towards the hot hand, take the pts where you can get them...but keeping in mind who is the real bread and butter of the diet.

I agree that Mason is the Flyers #1 Goalie, but he isn't like a Carey Price, Henrik Lundqvist, and even Braden Holtby. Mason may be the #1 Goalie, but he has a much shorter leash then some of the other Goalies in the league such as the three I mentioned.

I agree that Mason is the Flyers #1 Goalie, but he isn't like a Carey Price, Henrik Lundqvist, and even Braden Holtby. Mason may be the #1 Goalie, but he has a much shorter leash then some of the other Goalies in the league such as the three I mentioned.

Understood but Mason is then in the same class as every other goalie in the entire league. Last I checked the King and everone you listed has not won anything either. Mason will be fine...

And to be fair Mason was stellar last year in front of one of the worst defenses in hockey.

This is truly a non issue as it stands today.

@murraycraven Good Luck with Mason or Neuvirth. I hope Mason can play 60 games or more this year.

60 really isn't necessary with Neuvirth as a back-up. It doesn't matter so much this year since we probably won't be going to the playoffs, but ~55 games for Mason, to keep him fresh is a good way to go (especially with the amount of rubber he'l be facing). Most goalies that play 65-70+ games get warn out by the time playoffs roll around.

60 really isn't necessary with Neuvirth as a back-up. It doesn't matter so much this year since we probably won't be going to the playoffs, but ~55 games for Mason, to keep him fresh is a good way to go (especially with the amount of rubber he'l be facing). Most goalies that play 65-70+ games get warn out by the time playoffs roll around.

They do get worn out. It is a long season they have to play, but most of the teams that have the goalies that do play 60 or more games end up making the playoffs. The playoffs to the Cup are basically what goalie gets hot. That is what I love about the game of hockey is it is very hard to predict who will win the Cup. That is why I am not interested at all in the NBA it always almost comes down to the #1 seeds or maybe the #2 seed, but pretty much you know in the NBA the first round match-up between a #1 seed and #8 seed is going to be a sweep. In the NHL that doesn't happen. It makes the Stanley Cup Playoffs the best playoff system in all of sports.

They do get worn out. It is a long season they have to play, but most of the teams that have the goalies that do play 60 or more games end up making the playoffs. The playoffs to the Cup are basically what goalie gets hot. That is what I love about the game of hockey is it is very hard to predict who will win the Cup. That is why I am not interested at all in the NBA it always almost comes down to the #1 seeds or maybe the #2 seed, but pretty much you know in the NBA the first round match-up between a #1 seed and #8 seed is going to be a sweep. In the NHL that doesn't happen. It makes the Stanley Cup Playoffs the best playoff system in all of sports.

And most of those goalie that end up having to play 65-70+ regular season games,don't make it far in the playoffs. Sure, it may not entirely be their fault that their team gets beat out, but I would feel a lot more comfortable if my goalie played less games in the season going into the playoffs knowing that fatigue is a lot less of a problem.

I think whatever caused him to miss the last game must have been something that got into his head and kept him from being all there in game 2.  That just wasn't Steve Mason.  In any way shape or form.  It wasn't Steve Mason on a bad day and it wasn't Steve Mason in Columbus after his rookie year when he was stuggling.  That was a man whose head was just not in the same place as the rest of him.  And it seems like whatever it was, he had a good reason to be feeling that way.  He'll be back and he'll be fine.

Neuvy did a great job and really rose to the occasion, but the team played an incredibly conservative game and really didn't take many risks at all in the name of focusing on the defense in front of their net.  Not trying to take anything away from him, but between the Mason we got in the third and the OT of Game 1 and the Neuvy we got in Game 3, both were great, but I really don't think there's any comparison or any reason to think there's something "wrong" with Mason that won't be better in a week or two after he deals with whatever is going on. 

Maybe someone's sick, maybe someone died, maybe someone got dumped, maybe someone was eaten by a bear.  We don't know, but there are a ton of things more important than hockey that could make a guy extremely distracted for a game or two.  The nice thing is that Neuvy looked good enough that we don't have to be terrified by Mason needing a game or two once in a while.  

Thank you Hexy.

That just wasn't Steve Mason.  In any way shape or form.  It wasn't Steve Mason on a bad day and it wasn't Steve Mason in Columbus after his rookie year when he was stuggling

i have to disagree there.  i followed him pretty closely for a few years after his rookie season, and that WAS steve mason in columbus.  like, exactly.  make no mistake, steve mason in seasons 2-5 wasn't just not quite as effective as his rookie season, he was embarrassingly terrible, giving up goals like he did against florida on the regular.  leaky, trickly, how-in-the-world-did-he-miss-that goals.

i'm not saying this is anything bigger than a single really bad game, but we did get a snapshot of what columbus watched for 3 1/2 seasons.

given how he played last season, though, i think its safe to say this was a singular event, and he'll be fine when he gets back from whatever is going on.  really bad games happen, sometimes.

i have to disagree there.  i followed him pretty closely for a few years after his rookie season, and that WAS steve mason in columbus.  like, exactly.  make no mistake, steve mason in seasons 2-5 wasn't just not quite as effective as his rookie season, he was embarrassingly terrible, giving up goals like he did against florida on the regular.  leaky, trickly, how-in-the-world-did-he-miss-that goals.

i'm not saying this is anything bigger than a single really bad game, but we did get a snapshot of what columbus watched for 3 1/2 seasons.

given how he played last season, though, i think its safe to say this was a singular event, and he'll be fine when he gets back from whatever is going on.  really bad games happen, sometimes.

I hear what you're saying, but if he was consistently THAT bad, his GAA would have been 16.379 or something.  I guess my main point was that I expect this game to end up having been an aberration resulting from some off ice distraction (one that is apparently very sad according to Neuvy). 

I know that about the guy and that he went through a lot of head games and got his confidence set straight and that was a huge part of his return to form.  I've often feared how much the loss of Reese would affect his confidence after Reese left which further made me question why the hell Reese left if he meant to protect his goalie, but that's neither here nor there.

I don't expect games like that often from Mason.  He hasn't had one since he got here and I don't expect many more.

aww man.. did you have to bring up Bryz in a time like this!?

I have three recurring nightmare thoughts about Bryz:

1)  How did no one realize how in-friggin-sane he was before they offered him a Luongo sized contract?

2)  He does still hold a handful of team records... AKA he was GOOD at first.  Really good.  Everything we wanted actually.

3)  His best friend was killed by a bear.  A Friggin' BEAR.  I don't even know what to do with that.

1) How did no one realize how in-friggin-sane he was before they offered him a Luongo sized contract?

Because Homer ran the team like he was checking his Fantasy roster.

2) He does still hold a handful of team records... AKA he was GOOD at first. Really good. Everything we wanted actually.

He really wasn't as "bad" as people like to remember, but he was never the "great" goalie they needed.

I still maintain that the HBO24/7 killed Bryzgalov in Philadelphia. Without all the "humongous big" quotes floating around, his experience might have been significantly different.

That said, he was never worth the deal Homer gave him.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I still maintain that the HBO24/7 killed Bryzgalov in Philadelphia. Without all the "humongous big" quotes floating around, his experience might have been significantly different.

I completely agree with this... he became "humongous big" with all those quotes and he fed off the attention.   

But Rad, why you heff to be mad?

maxresdefault.jpg

Is that true?  LOL!   Somehow it makes perfect sense... was he "lost int he woods" when it happened?

I don't know that it was his best friend, but it was a friend of his.  In an interview he was asked if he was intimidated by the players and he now infamously said "I'm not afraid of anything except the bear in the forest."  Which just sounds the ramblings of a crazed mad man until you learn that his friend was just mauled to death by a bear in the forest not long before. 

So the ignorant penguins fans went all D-Bag and started bringing stuffed bears and wearing bear suits to the Flyers games.  Which was kind of funny but ultimately really a dick move when you consider that basically what Bryz was saying in his stream of consciousness poor translation kind of way was more like, "I got 99 problems and the Pens ain't one." 

We still kicked their butts that year and that was really the dawn of the team's current upper hand over the penguins which... let's see how that holds up. 

For all the crap I've given Chief over the past two years, maintaining domination over the penguins was definitely a worthwhile enterprise and I appreciate that he did it. 

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2012-04-11/flyers-rally-to-beat-penguins-4-3-in-overtime

Yeah I totally agree.  It might have helped if they hadn't crapped the bed so badly in that game too, but they looked miserable.  The scene in which Jagr picked up his lunch and moved to a different table when Bryz sat down next to him was just brutal.  Jagr was joking and kind of NOT joking. 

Wait, I'm sorry... why the EFF did homer nOT resign Jagr again.  DAMN IT HOMER!!!

But anyway, back to Bryz

That said, he was never worth the deal Homer gave him.

I think about this in relation to The Kings and Quick now.  The kings don't win those two cups without Quick.  Period.  But now that they're not so hot anymore, they're stuck with an atrocious contract and Quick essentially forever.

If the Flyers had shown themselves to be a (healthy) goalie away from the cup (and let's face it, in 2010 they were somehow magically just that) and managed to win one with Bryz... How would be feel about Bryz and his contract now? 

Of course Quick isn't bat guano bonkers, so the Kings fans probably aren't as grumpy. 

How the hell does homer look in the mirror?

Archived