Linus Ullmark Called Up

TropicalFruitGirl26

ullmark_992.jpg

From CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/sabres-linus-ullmark-called-up-from-ahl-rochester/

Stats, courtesy of the Hockey Database dot com:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=152794

Looks like the Buffalo Sabres are going to stay in-house to try and solve their goaltending dilemma with Robin Lehner going down with injury.

Back up Chad Johnson has been getting all the starts, and while he hasn't played badly, smart money says Johnson isn't the long term answer.

Enter 22 yr old Swedish goaltender Linus Ullmark.

A pretty good Jr's career in Sweden and while he only played 3 games for the AHL's Rochester Americans, the numbers he posted there were not too bad either.

The 2.72 GAA may not be particularly impressive for an AHL goalie, but the .932 sv % might be.

Means he sees lots of shots...and stops lots of shots.

Something he may need to fair well backstopping the Buffalo Sabres.

When he will make his NHL debut still remains to be seen, but it appears that, unless both Chad Johnson and Ullmark flop horribly, the Sabres won't be hitting any panic buttons and doling out prospects or picks for a short term solution in goal.

My guess is we may see a platooning situation in Buffalo between Johnson and Ullmark.

But if Linus sticks and does well, this could mean the end for either Johnson or Lehner as a Buffalo Sabre...in the case of Lehner, his career as a Buffalo netminder could be over before it really began, or he could be relegated to backup duties behind Ullmark.

Imagine that.

Guess we will find out in short order here whether Ullmark has what it takes to stick around this season.

More as it comes along....

My only question is, what took so long? From all I understand, they're extremely high on this kid. They've got a big problem in net, and this is, at the very least, a chance to give him some success at the NHL level. If it doesn't work out, he can be sent back to the AHL for a while with some valuable experience, and if it does work, they Sabres might be able to plug a hole. I don't know why this wasn't done sooner after Lehner went down.

My only question is, what took so long? From all I understand, they're extremely high on this kid. They've got a big problem in net, and this is, at the very least, a chance to give him some success at the NHL level. If it doesn't work out, he can be sent back to the AHL for a while with some valuable experience, and if it does work, they Sabres might be able to plug a hole. I don't know why this wasn't done sooner after Lehner went down.

All good points Scott....I can only guess maybe the Buffalo brass wasn't too keen on putting this young guy behind a Sabre defense that was less than stellar?

The team overall, despite the record, really hasn't played badly, maybe now they feel the team in general is good enough to where Linus can start games and not have his confidence wrecked playing behind an awful squad.

But like you said, even if things don't work out too well, he can always be sent back. 

The Buffalo front office could very well have acted a bit slowly, but honestly, bringing him up sooner would probably have not made much difference in the team's overall record right now.

As you know, the Sabres are vastly improved from last year, but they are likely going to still be losing alot of games this year.

I am thinking in watching Ullmark play, the GM, coaches and everyone else responsible for Ullmark will be watching HOW he plays and responds, as opposed to whether he racks up the W's or not.

Ullmark will be getting that valuable experience now...and even if the Sabres decide to go back to Lehner-Johnson once Robin is ready to go, it is something that Ullmark can take with back to Rochester as he continues to improve and await his next stint.

Thing is, the team would like him to go back to Rochester, if that is to be the case, with a positive outlook from playing behind a team with upside, rather than a team with more holes than a Buffalo street after a hard winter....

Guess they felt now the team is 'stable' enough for Ullmark.

I, as a goalie myself and someone who watches goaltending to the pin point, thing they did it for several reasons. When you have a team that just cant get it together and drop a big time goalie (like Miller) out of the system. Rushing a goalie who might not be the next Carey Price, but maybe Pekka Rinne, doesnt seem logical. Mind you, Rinne was the 258th pick in 2004, saw 2 NHL games in 2005-06 then went back to the Minors for two years. I am not sure about yall, but Nashville had never had a super great goalie (Tomas Vokoun - who is nothing to brag about), but they stuck with Pekka in the minors. You could say there was no rush, as of course a season like 2005-06 was actually pretty darn good for Nashville. . I feel like that is a similar situation here with Ullmark, you have to have patience with goalies unless they are the Carey Price's of the world.

This is the move I thought they would make as soon as Lehner got injured. Better late than never. They can kinda baby him, give him the easy games in back to backs...there is a good chance this guy is the goalie of the future for the Sabres, so pretty exciting for their fan base.

ullmark_992.jpg

From CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/sabres-linus-ullmark-called-up-from-ahl-rochester/

Stats, courtesy of the Hockey Database dot com:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=152794

Looks like the Buffalo Sabres are going to stay in-house to try and solve their goaltending dilemma with Robin Lehner going down with injury.

Back up Chad Johnson has been getting all the starts, and while he hasn't played badly, smart money says Johnson isn't the long term answer.

Enter 22 yr old Swedish goaltender Linus Ullmark.

A pretty good Jr's career in Sweden and while he only played 3 games for the AHL's Rochester Americans, the numbers he posted there were not too bad either.

The 2.72 GAA may not be particularly impressive for an AHL goalie, but the .932 sv % might be.

Means he sees lots of shots...and stops lots of shots.

Something he may need to fair well backstopping the Buffalo Sabres.

When he will make his NHL debut still remains to be seen, but it appears that, unless both Chad Johnson and Ullmark flop horribly, the Sabres won't be hitting any panic buttons and doling out prospects or picks for a short term solution in goal.

My guess is we may see a platooning situation in Buffalo between Johnson and Ullmark.

But if Linus sticks and does well, this could mean the end for either Johnson or Lehner as a Buffalo Sabre...in the case of Lehner, his career as a Buffalo netminder could be over before it really began, or he could be relegated to backup duties behind Ullmark.

Imagine that.

Guess we will find out in short order here whether Ullmark has what it takes to stick around this season.

More as it comes along....

Well Hasek was born from nowhere.  Can the next Dominator be one of these two kids?  Buffalo has historically always had an above average goalie.  I mean just go back.  Miller, Hasek, Bob Sauve, Donnie Edwards, and the exceptioin was 1975 when we outskated, outplayed the Flyers and got beat by Parent who I still say is the best of all time.  He was able to contain the French Connection. example game one when Richard Martin got the only goal in a 2-1 loss on a golf swing.  1-0 was the final of the Cup game and we outplayed them so badly you would think the ice was tilted at a 90 degree angle

Well Hasek was born from nowhere.  Can the next Dominator be one of these two kids?  Buffalo has historically always had an above average goalie.  I mean just go back.  Miller, Hasek, Bob Sauve, Donnie Edwards, and the exceptioin was 1975 when we outskated, outplayed the Flyers and got beat by Parent who I still say is the best of all time.  He was able to contain the French Connection. example game one when Richard Martin got the only goal in a 2-1 loss on a golf swing.  1-0 was the final of the Cup game and we outplayed them so badly you would think the ice was tilted at a 90 degree angle

See that's the thing with goalies...one just never knows.

I think as a position, goal has to be the most volatile on a hockey team. I mean, you can have a guy play lights out one season, totally disappear the next, then play well again after that.

Or a guy can play lights out for a season or two, fall off the face of the Earth never to be heard from again after that (Jim Carrey anyone?)

Then of course, you have the virtual unknown or late bloomer, who finally gets his shot and becomes one of the best ever at the position. Such as Hasek.

I know I am no scout, but for as long as I have followed the NHL, I have yet to come up with a solid, consistent barometer to measure a goalie prospect. Forwards, Defensemen....there are things you can look for and go "Hey, this guy does this well, he may cut it in the NHL after all".

To me, goalies are a bit tougher to gauge...and I suspect it is for pro scouts and developers as well...hence another reason why goalies are generally taken later on in drafts.

Buffalo doesn't really know yet what they have in Linus Ullmark at the NHL level. Heck, he is still new to AHL level competition. But I am sure they'd like to find out sooner than later.

But the team should also be prudent, and be sure not to wreck Ullmark's confidence by playing him behind a team that is just plain not ready to compete.

I've already given your team credit for being competitive.

They will STILL lose lots of games this year, possibly next year too, IMO, but if the defense can show they at least are NHL competent game to game, then playing Ullmark behind it wouldn't be such a bad deal.

That's quite the memory you have...though I'm not surprised.

The reality is Buffalo averaged about 2 shots a game more than the Flyers over the 6 game series...and Philly won 2-0 in the last game, where Buffalo managed a mindblowing ONE more shot on net than the Flyers.

That;s what I call domination!

You are correct about Parent though. ;)

That's quite the memory you have...though I'm not surprised.

The reality is Buffalo averaged about 2 shots a game more than the Flyers over the 6 game series...and Philly won 2-0 in the last game, where Buffalo managed a mindblowing ONE more shot on net than the Flyers.

That;s what I call domination!

You are correct about Parent though. ;)

Gee did I forget an empty netter in one game/  The fog game was 1-0.  And we totally controlled the play.  You had the goalie.  ONLY reason you won in 6

The kid played very well last night when he had to.  Granted the Flyers could not generate much offense. They looked like they were a bit sluggish.  Maybe the Devils were partly responsible?  I did not see that game so do not know.  But it appears they have some problems there that have to be addressed.  Ullmark would be a very big surprise if he can hold up.  

@Hockey Junkie  You should be proud of your team bro....they played a tough, gritty game for all 60 minutes. The best team won last night. Really like that Desauliers kid...what a sparkplug

Well thanks.  I knew the Kings were very reluctant to trade him to us.  And O'Reilly is just nuts

I wonder if Ullmark has won himself the starting job?  At leeast for now I believe he has.  But that could change very fast.   one bad night of getting lit like a Xmas tree like the Monteal debacle would do it.   But the Sabres are now outshooting teams.  A great sign

I believe the time away hurt  the Sabres in the first period and Tampa took full advantage.  I cannot blame the goalie on Stamkos goal.  I did not get to see the game but listened and saw the highlights.  they played very well in period two when Eichel had one beauty and almost two.  The kid is a monster.  I am not worried.  Its one loss vs a team that played for the Cup. We can play with them.  This building process is right on schedule, in fact ahead of schedule IMO.  I just do not know about these two goalies.  One comes in tomorrow that I do know.  And once is tenure ends in Vancouver and the Sabres have the better team on the ice than the Canucks, I wonder if a come back is possible?  May be up to Murray more than Miller

Our goalie sucks!! Miller kept them in. Watching at a watering hole. 2-0 lead gone due to Ullnuts

Linus is just 21 and considering he is backstopping a Buffalo defense that is still mostly swiss cheese, he did a bang up job.

Personally, I think he is pretty poised for his age.

Bolts lit him up early in his last game, but you know, a goalie is going to have a day like that.

He may have given up the 2-0 lead to the Nucks, but the D in front of him wasn't particularly impressive and he hung in there while the Sabres got him the winning goal.

Not saying Linus is The Man (yet), but considering the team's current options, I'd stick with him.

If he isn't deflated playing behind a Sabre defense that is less than stellar by now, he may be your keeper.

Linus is just 21 and considering he is backstopping a Buffalo defense that is still mostly swiss cheese, he did a bang up job.

Personally, I think he is pretty poised for his age.

Bolts lit him up early in his last game, but you know, a goalie is going to have a day like that.

He may have given up the 2-0 lead to the Nucks, but the D in front of him wasn't particularly impressive and he hung in there while the Sabres got him the winning goal.

Not saying Linus is The Man (yet), but considering the team's current options, I'd stick with him.

If he isn't deflated playing behind a Sabre defense that is less than stellar by now, he may be your keeper.

Swiss cheese?  They have won 7 of 8 and beat your team pretty good.  If you think Ristolainen is swiss cheese you are wrong.   And wait until they get Begosian in there.  The Sabres are on the rise.  Give us another year or two and we will be playing for the East.  The rebuild will be fast as promised by Murray.  So far he is right on.  I really can't wait until Begosian is ready

Swiss cheese?  They have won 7 of 8 and beat your team pretty good.  If you think Ristolainen is swiss cheese you are wrong.   And wait until they get Begosian in there.  The Sabres are on the rise.  Give us another year or two and we will be playing for the East.  The rebuild will be fast as promised by Murray.  So far he is right on.  I really can't wait until Begosian is ready

I'm sorry...would you have preferred thin cut American Cheese, instead? 

Funny thing is, the Buffalo goaltending (Chad and Linus) have shone better than the actual defense. Goaltending was supposed to be a weakness for the Sabres.....so far, it really hasn't been (hmm...maybe Lehner best STAY out of the lineup?).

The defense playing ACTUAL defense has been mediocre to good...but the goalies have made most leads stick.

And I know you pick n choose which postings you adhere to, but I DID congratulate your Sabres on their 1st win in 4 tries against the Bolts.

A Bolts team that is still sleepwalking through the season.

4-1 score wasn't completely indicative of the game.

One goal was an empty netter and the other was a soft, in the TB goalie glove then out and in the net type goal.....

No question the Sabres earned the win, but I seem to recall, you said yourself, the Sabres had played BETTER games than this one.

So I stand by my assessment of the Buffalo D till they show consistency to the contrary.

That Linus Ullmark though  (Ullnuts....your words dude...seriously...YOUR WORDS...lol), he looks like he may be the answer.

Lehner may not have a job to come back to unless its the backup role.

You people have no clue. We lost tonight in OT because Jones has so many lucky saves he never saw. Don Cherry and all the reports are correct about scoring being way down due to huge goal is with equipment that is too large. Proving how great Bernie Paent was and how bad the current system is. Bishop leaves nothing to shoot at. But is that really talent? Hell no!!!

Archived