Rasmus Ristolainen is the real deal!

Buffalo Rick

@Podein25  I'm not giving up hope he can be an impact player....agreed, he does possess some very nice instincts. He would not be the first guy to suffer the 2nd year blues. Hell, even Ekblad is suffering in this 2nd year right now. As you know, it's quite common. If the Jets were to suffer an injury to Enstrom, that would be a huge break for Trouba. One thing for certain, he will always be a great skater, couple that with his offensive instincts and you have a winning combo.

As you know, it's quite common.

It sure is. What used to come easy doesn't come as easy anymore, players know you better etc. Trouba has mostly been paired with mark Stewart as a Jet. The irony is that Stewart is/was playing some really good hockey. Trouba is not. He's losing lots of battles, he gets stuck out there for long chunks of time, is getting scored on. I don't know what his advanced stats look like - poor I imagine, but you don't need them to see that he's struggling.

• 5 weeks later...

Risto is just incredible.  This kid can shoot the puck accurately, and does not just shoot it when he knows it will be blocked.  He knows how to set up guys, he can hit, as he put Doughty into the boards and Doughty acted like he was hit by a freight train.  He had a hat trick this week on the road.  He is far above and beyond Tyler Myers.  He may not be Jay McKee yet on the defending side of his game, but he will be far better than any Sabre that ever played that position.  Sorry Shoenny.  His points and goals are adding up.  He along with Reinhart, Eichel and O'Reilly are going to make us an elite team very soon.  Yes I know we have to solve the goaltending question.  We will. We always do.  Ristolainen is a name to remember.  His skills are limitless

Link?

As of this writing, he's tied for fourth in points (23) and fifth in goals (7) among defensemen.

And then there's this

Ristolainen was the first Sabres defenseman to score three goals in a single period, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. He's the first Sabres defenseman with a hat trick since Hockey Hall of Fame member Phil Housley on Jan. 22, 1988 against the New Jersey Devils, and he was the first defenseman to score three times in a period since another Hockey Hall of Fame member, Al MacInnis, in the first period of a game for the St. Louis Blues against the New York Rangers on Oct. 12, 1998.

Ristolainen, at 21 years, 44 days, is only the third defenseman 21 or younger to score a hat trick since the 1987-88 season, according to hockey-reference.com, joining Bryan Fogarty (21 years, 173 days) of the Quebec Nordiques against the Sabres on Dec. 1, 1990, and P.K. Subban (21 years, 311 days) of the Montreal Canadiens against the Minnesota Wild on March 20, 2011.

To put things in perspective..... last season:

Morgan Rielly on Toronto: 29 pts in 82 gp with -16.

vs

Rasmus Risto on Buffalo: 20 pts in 78 gp with -32.

Rielly is considered to be a young and upcoming D-man, but he has a ways to go yet before he becomes elite. I see the same thing with RR. Great start, keep it up, but we'll see where he is at the end of the season.  :)

• 1 month later...

Archived