Rasmus Ristolainen is the real deal!

Buffalo Rick

Its a matter of time before he wins the Norris trophy.  Yes, I said it.  This kid is something special and I say before its all said and done he could be the best defenseman in Sabres history.  He has all the tools.   He is smart with the puck.  He can shoot very accurately.  And he is starting to make his presence felt throughout the leauge  I am not sure anyone will be a shot blocker as good as Schoenfeld was but this guy is the total package.

http://sabres.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2015020200

IF the above link works it shows all the goals, including the two by Risto in the Vancouver win.  I could not find just the one play.

@Hockey Junkie

He was a great pick by the Sabres...a lot of us were pissed when you guys grabbed him a few picks before ours....I'd hold off on the Norris talk though...Ekblad is younger and better, and there's a whole slew of guys coming up that are pretty damn good.

Eckblad is great.  But not better.  Not offensively.  Perhaps right now defensively, but Ras will get better in that area

Eckblad is great.  But not better.  Not offensively.  Perhaps right now defensively, but Ras will get better in that area

Ristolainen 21 years old 127 gp...32 pts

Ekblad        19 years old  96 gp    43 pts

Ekblads 2 years younger...you don't think he's going to get better?

Its a matter of time before he wins the Norris trophy.  Yes, I said it.  This kid is something special and I say before its all said and done he could be the best defenseman in Sabres history.  He has all the tools.   He is smart with the puck.  He can shoot very accurately.  And he is starting to make his presence felt throughout the leauge  I am not sure anyone will be a shot blocker as good as Schoenfeld was but this guy is the total package.

http://sabres.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2015020200

IF the above link works it shows all the goals, including the two by Risto in the Vancouver win.  I could not find just the one play.

Buffalo sure has the makings of a very good defenseman in Ristolainen.

Thing is, much like the Boy Who Cried Wolf, the Man Who Cries Bison (this Sabre is the greatest, and this one is, and that one is) has done it so many times, that when a REAL Buffalo comes along, no one really takes him seriously... ;)

But I digress...

And that all said, Risto is still a young guy and defensemen are notoriously slower developed than forwards.

Look at some past young D-men who have come into the league either as teens or just before the age of legal drinking, and they are just NOW coming into their own....Victor Hedman, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Justin Faulk, and Tyson Barrie just as examples.

Took those guys anywhere from 3-4 years to really even register on the "Hey, this guy is legit in this league" list.

I suspect the same will happen with Ristolainen.

If he truly will be something special, he still may need to take his lumps a bit more before he is considered legit.

Projections are great (and Risto is a great bet to BE great), but projections are just that.

Let's save the Norris stuff until he puts together some real consistent seasons together and teams actually start talking about game planning him.

THEN you know he truly has arrived.

@flyercanuck  Totally agree, Risto will indeed be an offensive force in this league....thing is, Klefbom is looking really good in Edm, along with Nurse...tons and tons of highly touted d-men...I don't think you would find many scouts putting Risto at the top of the heap. There is NO WAY he's better than Ekblad right now...or ever, that guy as an 18 year old looked like a seasoned vet. You wanna start assigning Norris trophies, I'd start there...lol.

Buffalo sure has the makings of a very good defenseman in Ristolainen.

Thing is, much like the Boy Who Cried Wolf, the Man Who Cries Bison (this Sabre is the greatest, and this one is, and that one is) has done it so many times, that when a REAL Buffalo comes along, no one really takes him seriously... ;)

But I digress...

And that all said, Risto is still a young guy and defensemen are notoriously slower developed than forwards.

Look at some past young D-men who have come into the league either as teens or just before the age of legal drinking, and they are just NOW coming into their own....Victor Hedman, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Justin Faulk, and Tyson Barrie just as examples.

Took those guys anywhere from 3-4 years to really even register on the "Hey, this guy is legit in this league" list.

I suspect the same will happen with Ristolainen.

If he truly will be something special, he still may need to take his lumps a bit more before he is considered legit.

Projections are great (and Risto is a great bet to BE great), but projections are just that.

Let's save the Norris stuff until he puts together some real consistent seasons together and teams actually start talking about game planning him.

THEN you know he truly has arrived.

He has done plenty on the ice so its not all projection here.  He has proved how good he is already.  So you think he will get worse?  No way

He has done plenty on the ice so its not all projection here.  He has proved how good he is already.  So you think he will get worse?  No way

I don't think anyone is saying Ristolinen will get worse, they are saying there are younger guys who are already better and if they improve, as we expect Rasmus will, they will still be better than the improved Ristolienen, because they were always better.  

all that said i'd take him on my team. I think he's a good player, I don't think he is going to be the next Duncan Keith or Drew Doughty, and I don't think he's a generational talent , I do think he will be a very good player.

So you think he will get worse? No way

Is that Calder Trophy-winning Tyler Myers over there playing the fourth year of his seven-year $38.5M deal with the Sabres?

Oh, no, wait - it's not. He's playing in Winnipeg.

I like Ristolainen a lot but there's a lot of career left.

Right.

Not even two whole seasons at the NHL level.....nothing left to prove, gotcha....

Now, if we can get back to some reality for a second....credit is already being given: he has the makings of a very good defenseman.

Heck, I'd rather have him on the Bolts or Wild over probably at least three guys already on each team.

But I'd do so with the understanding that he has MUCH improvement to make to be a career 'great' NHL playing defenseman.

I knew a long time ago (or at least I felt) that Victor Hedman would be a good player. But many outside of the Lightning fanbase, while they sorta knew what he SHOULD have been, were starting to label him a "bust" up until about last year, when most people believed he truly arrived.

While I personally never thought Hedman was a bust even before last year (admittedly I am biased....cmon, HJ, you can admit being a bit biased too for your guys...people can understand and even respect at least that...hehe), I can CERTAINLY see why people would think that........lots of hype for Hedman, and really, before last season, his on ice play wasn't living up to the expectations.

What was Hedder doing all that time till then?

Working hard, taking his lumps, improving every facet of his game he could, and gaining experience against some of the best forwards in the world, that's what.

So, take this as you like, but I think Ristolainen will be a good player, maybe even great someday, but not till he puts in the NHL time, sees his peaks and valleys, has people wonder whether he will stick long term, then go out of his way to prove them wrong.

But I'm sorry... >2 NHL seasons is not enough to "prove he is good already"....its ALL ABOUT projections at this juncture still.

As for me thinking he will "get worse".....

???????

Where did I say that???

Sometimes, overzealous fans feel others pile on to them for no reason......but when said overzealous fans start assigning what they assume are thoughts on players, well, it just makes it hard to see that overzealous fan as anything other than just that.

Just sayin, HJ.....not every post that doesn't quite match up with yours is necessarily an adversarial one.

If one doesn't make it so, knowledge can be gained by everyone.

Ya know? Ya hear? Ya dig? Capisci? Entiendes? Comprendre?

Yep.....I hear and understand ya too.... ;)

I don't think anyone is saying Ristolinen will get worse, they are saying there are younger guys who are already better and if they improve, as we expect Rasmus will, they will still be better than the improved Ristolienen, because they were always better.  

all that said i'd take him on my team. I think he's a good player, I don't think he is going to be the next Duncan Keith or Drew Doughty, and I don't think he's a generational talent , I do think he will be a very good player.

And there's nothing wrong with that. 

Is that Calder Trophy-winning Tyler Myers over there playing the fourth year of his seven-year $38.5M deal with the Sabres?

Oh, no, wait - it's not. He's playing in Winnipeg.

I like Ristolainen a lot but there's a lot of career left.

Great point rad. HJ used to tell us how Myers was untouchable. There's no such thing.

Disagree totally.  I say he will be the BEST in hockey.    On D as an offensive D man and all around.  The BEST.   And no young player is better than him now.  He makes Tyler Myers look awful

Disagree totally.  I say he will be the BEST in hockey.    On D as an offensive D man and all around.  The BEST.   And no young player is better than him now.  He makes Tyler Myers look awful

The best...no young player is better?  McDavid/Ekblad/Eichel/Monohan/Gaudreau/Hedman/Seguin off the top of my head

The same Tyler Myers a year ago you were telling us was untouchable?

I say he will be the BEST in hockey.    On D as an offensive D man and all around.  The BEST.   And no young player is better than him now.  He makes Tyler Myers look awful

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but there's a better chance that you will turn out wrong then right. It's ok, people have opinions. My opinion last year was that Trouba would win the Norris within a few years. Today, I have to question that prediction. 

@Podein25  Trouba's upside has certainly taken a hit. I may have misjudged his offensive flair. He's still young and there is still time for him to evolve and grow, but with each passing game that he is held off the scoresheet, the more unlikely he becomes an offensive force.

The best...no young player is better?  McDavid/Ekblad/Eichel/Monohan/Gaudreau/Hedman/Seguin off the top of my head

The same Tyler Myers a year ago you were telling us was untouchable?

He is still one heck of a guy to have as he can shoot the puck as he prooved last night. But he does not have the smarts that Risto has.  Eichel, Risto and Reinhart will be a deadly trio

@Podein25  Trouba's upside has certainly taken a hit. I may have misjudged his offensive flair. He's still young and there is still time for him to evolve and grow, but with each passing game that he is held off the scoresheet, the more unlikely he becomes an offensive force.

I'm not so sure. He has fantastic offensive instincts for one thing. I don't think those just go away. The problem is with his overall game right now - it's not where it was at and it's affecting everything. He looks tentative, is lacking confidence and as a result is losing battles he used to win, not making plays that he used to etc 

I still think he will turn it around. 

He finally scored last night by the way.

Archived