'15-'16 Turkey Awards: Your Nominees Please!

TropicalFruitGirl26

hockey_turkey.jpg

It's that time of year again.

Did one of these last year that was somewhat popular and well, new hockey season, new Thanksgiving season, new sets of edible fowl posing as hockey players, hockey coaches, and 'smart' front office personnel....

So, for those who may not remember or are new to my brand of humor, the theme of this thread is simple:

Which players, teams, coaches, GM's, whomever.... do you feel to this point, has been so massively disappointing that they could sub in for the cooked bird at the dinner table an no one would know the difference?

Talking about high expectations being met with supremely low performances.

About certain players being made a big deal out of at season's start, only to find they are no more than a gobbly gooky mess of a game bird.

No, this award isn't as prestigious as the Golden Dooky, but it is nonetheless, and important seasonal award given to those persons in the NHL who have inspired confidence to this point LESS than anyone else.

I will start with one Patrick Roy.

The man who was supposed to "whip those Avs into championship shape"....the man with the plan whose team won a division title a short two seasons ago, but has looked NOTHING like that team since.

There is talent on the Avalanche. There are some very good skaters, some good physical players, and some very good young talent.

So what is the problem here?

Does the team not really care what the "Great St. Patrick" thinks?

Is it a case of 'Great player not necessarily making a good coach' because he simply doesn't understand the mindset of anyone who isn't a superstar player?

Or maybe he is out of touch with the current generation of young players.

He might simply be flat out, out coached by much better bench bosses throughout the league.

Whatever the issue is, Patrick Roy for all his greatness, for all his bluster, isn't doing a ton to get his team to play like a champion on a nightly basis............and IMO, he is looking every bit the part of a turkey behind the bench with his ears covered in Stanley Cup rings.....

Who else you guys got?

It could change rapidly, but I think right now, without a doubt, Sidney Crosby is tops among players. Just 11 points in 20 games? Ouch.

TBH, Crosby came to mind right away for me when I started the thread, but he was such an obvious choice, I figured someone else would nominate him sooner than later...heh.

But yes, looking at the league leaderboards in scoring and NOT seeing his name among the top players is strange indeed.

Pitts has gotten by on some good defense to this point and one can only imagine where they could be if this guy had been playing like people have become accustomed to.

Very similar situation as Crosby is one Steven Stamkos who has played ok lately, but on the whole to this point in the season, he has been a far cry from the guy the Bolts are supposed to be breaking the bank for to keep in TB beyond this season.

I'll go ahead and give Stamkos a mini turkey for his non role in getting his team to be better offensively.......but a mini only because he seems to have picked things up lately and I am being a homer on this one.... ;)

But, homer or not, while I am on the subject of the Tampa Bay Lightning.....Tyler Johnson.

YOU sir, are deserving of the turkey nomination.

Where for art thou, Sir Johnson??

Thine enemies have stormed the Ice Palace gates, looted us for wins...and you are nowhere to be found to strike fear into their black hearts!

Gobble, gobble to you, good Sir!!

Which players, teams, coaches, GM's, whomever.... do you feel to this point, has been so massively disappointing that they could sub in for the cooked bird at the dinner table an no one would know the difference?

the Flyers 8 yr/66M dollar RW - Mr Jake Voracek!!!!

No, this award isn't as prestigious as the Golden Dooky, but it is nonetheless, and important seasonal award given to those persons in the NHL who have inspired confidence to this point LESS than anyone else.

LOL. The golden dooky will soon become legendary!  :)

As for turkey's:  Jonathan Bernier. Done.

No player has been more of a turkey this season than Bernier, given the expectation that he was the Leafs #1 goalie. He hasn't won a game this season.

Another vote for the master of muffs, the fakir of fluffs, the dork of duffs, the one, the only Johnathan Bernier!!!  :thumbsd:

It was a tight race between him and Reimer (tweedle dum and tweedle dee) but less effort wins out.....

:P

• 2 weeks later...

It could change rapidly, but I think right now, without a doubt, Sidney Crosby is tops among players. Just 11 points in 20 games? Ouch.

I would characterize him as another type of fowl, but I am shocked at how he only has 11 points so far with the amazing skills he has.

Archived