New Look Leafs for 2016-17?

Reebok-EDGE-Toronto-Maple-Leafs-3-Dion-Pleafs_065.jpg

^^^ Current 2015-16 Sweaters ^^^

From NBC Sports:

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/12/13/original-fix-leafs-will-reportedly-use-new-logo-uniform-next-season/

Looks like the Toronto Maple Leafs are looking to change more than just the product on the ice.

According to the NBC story, Toronto is reportedly looking to give the team an overhaul not only in talent on the ice, but in the way the team looks.

'Reportedly' being the key word as none of this was actually confirmed by Toronton management or ownership.

So, thought it would be fun to have a thread where we can discuss and post possible new looks for the team.

First up, above, are the current sweaters, posted for reference.

Also, I would imagine many long time Leaf fans will likely NOT like a change to the logos and unis?

What prompted this change?

Was it just a 'clean slate' idea with wanting to give the Leafs a fresh start, starting with on-ice performance and then going to marketing?

Or was it the fact the Tampa Bay Lightning run around looking like Leaf dopplegangers? :lol:

Seriously, Leaf fans, as a Bolts fan, I HATED the changes TB made that made them look like Toronto.

Trust me on that........Bolts could have done MUCH better there.....not because the colors and unis are bad, but simply because they were made in the mold of an existing team already.

But I digress.....

So here we go.

I will post some Leaf concept jerseys I found around the net.

Others can do the same, and we can go from there.

Leafs' colours have always been and still are royal blue and white. I think the powder blue and off-white are not likely, but I've been wrong before. They do have a "third sweater" design which is only slightly differemt from the one you posted. I don't know how to post that so I'll leave it to the experts.

But to put it plainly, I don't really care what uniform they wear as long as they compete... ;)

PS - the last time the Leafs won the Cup, they changed uniforms at the start of that season. I think the boys in the ivory tower are dreamin'.... :P

@TropicalFruitGirl26  It appears to be a huge money grab IMHO, based on their 100 years as a franchise coming up next year. Also, the Panthers have announced new uni's for next year as well...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/report-maple-leafs-getting-new-logo-uniform-for-2016-centennial-season/

I haven't heard anything about it until now. My thoughts are:

• Huge money grab.
  • Change for the sake of change.
  • Change for the sake of trying to lay claim to another color in the uniform.
  • What else are you going to do with a win-less, lame duck product like the Leafs? Why not abandon all self respect?

The Leafs are the only original six team to make substantial changes to their logo and colors. 

My prediction is that the Leafs are going to grab hold of Vancouver's hand-me-downs and unveil something that looks like this:

800px-Henrik_Sedin_02-2015a.JPG

:angry:

TOR6.png

If you all can ignore my "Leaf-hater" status, I have to say I like this particular design. It makes me think of a vintage Leafs jersey. As a wannabe historian and lover of hockey traditions, I approve.

If you all can ignore my "Leaf-hater" status, I have to say I like this particular design. It makes me think of a vintage Leafs jersey. As a wannabe historian and lover of hockey traditions, I approve.

Especially for a 100th Anniversary.

Huge money grab for sure, but every team in the NHL does this. New sweaters for every "special" team occasion - even those teams that don't really have a history at all in the first place. A "special" sweater for an appearance at an "outdoor" game. And people buy them by the thousands.

Personally, I have a strict policy of not buying anything with an NHL logo on it. The only Leafs sweaters I own were given to me - and I don't wear them for fear of spilling something on them.....  I know how much they cost. :P

I wear a Canada sweater that I bought during my favorite tournament of the year - the world juniors. Far and away the best hockey we'll see this year. A bunch of uber talented, motivated kids playing their hearts out for their country - the U.S.A. has an excellent team this year, by the way. Anyway, that's off-topic. :cool[1]:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived