Ode to Jagr

ScottM

Qw6QFey.jpg

We all know it's only a matter of time until Marcel Dionne is bumped down to fifth on the all-time goal-scoring list. At the moment, Jagr is tied with Dionne, meaning his next goal does the trick. Brett Hull is only 10 goals farther ahead, so third appears to be well within striking distance as well. With that in mind, it seems that this is a perfect time for a thread honoring his accomplishments.

Those accomplishments are impressive. In 1999, he won the Hart Trophy and on five occasions won the Art Ross. In fact, there was a 20 year period in which the only guys to win a scoring title were named Gretzky, Lemieux, and Jagr. On the all-time points list, he's just 27 points behind Gordie Howe for third and 64 behind Mark Messier for second. If he gets anywhere near his goal of playing until he's 50, it's difficult to imagine him not getting to second.

Usually, when we think about "what if" players, we think about guys such as Orr and Bossy who saw their careers cut short due to injuries, but we can also play that game with Jagr. Three lockouts (one of which canceled an entire season) have reduced his number of games played as did a choice to spend three years in the KHL. If not for those issues it seems likely that he would have already reached 800 goals and 2,000 points.

A while back, when I did my top 10 right wingers of all-time, I ranked Jagr sixth. If I were to make that list again today, I believe I'd move him up to fifth, placing him ahead of Brett Hull. The only guys I'd rank ahead of him would be Howe, Richard, Bossy, and Lafleur, and honestly, I can see how someone might argue for ranking him a bit higher.

Barring a change in the way the game is played, it will be a long time before we see a player pile up stats the way Jagr has. It's possible that Ovechkin could reach 700 goals, with 800 a best-case scenario, but there are, of course, no guarantees, and that would require long-term continued consistency by Ovi to get there. The points total on the other hand, seems nearly impossible. We're watching something special, and I hope that we all value it while we have it.

Jagr has stated that if it were not for his temporary stint in the KHL, he would have retired much earlier. Due to the less laborious season the KHL has to offer. Perhaps it revitalized his career, or its simply Jagr being unassuming.

I believe he is the only player amongst the top ten point leaders of all time not to play a single season in the eighties, I know the early 90s were a marginally decreased but also extremely high scoring era as well. But that's quite the impressive feat.  And considering that Jagr had his best seasons in the dead puck era anyways, makes it even better.

Jagr has stated that if it were not for his temporary stint in the KHL, he would have retired much earlier. Due to the less laborious season the KHL has to offer. Perhaps it revitalized his career, or its simply Jagr being unassuming.

I believe he is the only player amongst the top ten point leaders of all time not to play a single season in the eighties, I know the early 90s were a marginally decreased but also extremely high scoring era as well. But that's quite the impressive feat.  And considering that Jagr had his best seasons in the dead puck era anyways, makes it even better.

The 90's were a mixed bag. Scoring started out great (1990, 1991, 1992) then dropped to levels I'd be happy with today (1993, 1994, 1995) to the beginning of the dead puck era in (1996, 1997, 1998, 1999).

:)

I wish he wouldn't have left for the KHL. He would be hitting 2000 points right now for sure. (And arguably be the last player to ever do it.)   :)

And to think the Flyers passed on him for Mike Ricci.  :D

@B21

Funny enough, Ricci would likely have gone 1st overall the year before his draft and was the top rated prospect that year.

Yeah but™, NHL scouts were even more anti-Euro biased then than they are now. 

If he was Mike Riccov he wouldn't have been ranked so high :)

:hocky:

@B21

Funny enough, Ricci would likely have gone 1st overall the year before his draft and was the top rated prospect that year.

If you can kill other GM's for letting Giroux "fall" to 16, I can kill the Flyers for passing on Jagr.  ;)

Archived