Game #61, Coyotes at Flyers, 27 February 2016, 1pm

AJgoal

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.43 (T-24th), Coyotes 2.70 (10th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.62 (T-15th), Coyotes 3.07 (30th)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 92/92, Coyotes 104/112 
Power play efficiency: Flyers 18.4% (T-17th), Coyotes 18.9% (14th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 79.0% (24th), Coyotes 77.9% (25th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.3 (T-11th), Coyotes 27.7 (29th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 31.6 (27th), Coyotes 30.7 (T-19th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 50.1% (T-14th), Coyotes 53.6% (2nd)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

10 Brayden Schenn - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
12 Michael Raffl - 14 Sean Couturier - 89 Sam Gagner
21 Scott Laughton - 52 Nick Cousins - 24 Matt Read
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White 

47 Andrew MacDonald - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
23 Brandon Manning- 3 Radko Gudas

30 Michal Neuvirth
[35 Steve Mason]

Scratches: Evgeny Medvedev (healthy), R.J. Umberger (healthy) Jakub Voracek (out, lower body), Jordan Weal (IR, upper body), Michael Del Zotto (IR, wrist).

Coyotes

16 Max Domi - 50 Antoine Vermette - 89 Mikkel Boedker
8 Tobias Rieder - 11 Martin Hanzal - 10 Anthony Duclair
48 Jordan Martinook - 12 Brad Richardson - 19 Shane Doan
24 Kyle Chipchura - 32 Tyler Gaudet - xxxxxx

23 Oliver Ekman-Larsson - 5 Connor Murphy
34 Klas Dahlbeck - 4 Zbynek Michalek
44 Kevin Connauton - 26 Michael Stone
2 - Nicklas Grossmann -xxxxxxx

35 Louis Domingue
[60 Niklas Treutle]

Scratches: Viktor Tikhanov (healthy), Jarred Tinordi (healthy), Boyd Gordon (IR, lower body), Joe Vitale (IR, fractured orbital bone and concussion), Mike Smith (IR, abdominal surgery), Anders Lindbäck (IR, torn Achilles tendon).

17 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I would like to see them put this game away.  A 3-1 lead for the O and B has been a problem.  The Coyotes seem to be playing like they have the lead. Neuvirth is a fortress. 

I agree Neuvy has to get strong consideration for the Flyers MVP this season...where would they be without him?

For me the top 3 in no particular order has to Ghost Neuvy and Giroux. 

Howdy:

I just looked over the box score.  MacDonald led all D-men with over 23 minutes.  He isn't worth 5 million but I agree with the Comcast announcers that he has looked comfortable out there and has made some good passes.  Maybe the farm time has given him an important refresher.  He looked pretty good on the PP.  

Neuvirth deserved first star. At times we were badly, badly outplayed. On the other hand, Laughton and Cousins are a view of the future and a good one at that. Maybe, just maybe, we are seeing the beginning of the future.

Per last game, I have to wonder how the brass views Gagner.  He has sat out/been at the farm for 30 games.  If we doubled his 5 goals, he'd be one of only 6 to have double digits. He skates well.  Interesting to see what happens to him short- and long-term.  Jiri Hudler fetch a second from my backyard Panthers.  His numbers at Calgary were lower than what Gagner got last year in Phoenix.   It makes me wish Gagner had more play earlier in the season. If he sticks around, I wonder what happens next year.

On the downside, our D goes into funks that allow the opposition to almost park in the attack zone.  I can't figure out if we are too slow or undersized to clear the porch. The announcers called it a funnel to the net.  That's pretty accurate.  

I'll stick with my observation from last game. The third-fourth liners, and maybe a chunk of the D, is playing for their careers, probably more than the playoffs. It's great to see a guy like PEB score.  He probably knows the score.

Howie

16 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Howdy:

I just looked over the box score.  MacDonald led all D-men with over 23 minutes.  He isn't worth 5 million but I agree with the Comcast announcers that he has looked comfortable out there and has made some good passes.  Maybe the farm time has given him an important refresher.  He looked pretty good on the PP.  

Neuvirth deserved first star. At times we were badly, badly outplayed. On the other hand, Laughton and Cousins are a view of the future and a good one at that. Maybe, just maybe, we are seeing the beginning of the future.

Per last game, I have to wonder how the brass views Gagner.  He has sat out/been at the farm for 30 games.  If we doubled his 5 goals, he'd be one of only 6 to have double digits. He skates well.  Interesting to see what happens to him short- and long-term.  Jiri Hudler fetch a second from my backyard Panthers.  His numbers at Calgary were lower than what Gagner got last year in Phoenix.   It makes me wish Gagner had more play earlier in the season. If he sticks around, I wonder what happens next year.

On the downside, our D goes into funks that allow the opposition to almost park in the attack zone.  I can't figure out if we are too slow or undersized to clear the porch. The announcers called it a funnel to the net.  That's pretty accurate.  

I'll stick with my observation from last game. The third-fourth liners, and maybe a chunk of the D, is playing for their careers, probably more than the playoffs. It's great to see a guy like PEB score.  He probably knows the score.

Howie

Whereas MacDonald has played better, he still stinks, just less than he has been.His constant back peddling is one of the main reasons that the Coyotes were allowed to park in the zone for such long periods. At least he did not turn the puck over while trying to pass up the middle of the ice this game. With his play this game he is approaching a serviceable 6/7th dman...........Hopefully he can keep improving.

5 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

Whereas MacDonald has played better, he still stinks, just less than he has been.His constant back peddling is one of the main reasons that the Coyotes were allowed to park in the zone for such long periods. At least he did not turn the puck over while trying to pass up the middle of the ice this game. With his play this game he is approaching a serviceable 6/7th dman...........Hopefully he can keep improving.

Yes has anyone else seen him actually move in the opposite direction to actually challenge the puck carrier entering the defensive zone??? I haven't seen it was just wondering if anyone had because i can't say i have seen every second he has been on the ice in bis return.

But he had nowhere to go but up.........

Archived