Rangers acquire Eric Staal and Continue to Mortgage the Future

hf101

Eric_Staal_2013-4.jpg

Eric Staal signed his NTC as the Rangers acquired the 31 year old center for a 2nd round pick in 2016 and a 2nd round pick in 2017 plus Finish center prospect Aleksi Saarela.  The Hurricanes retained 50% of the base salary to allow New York some cap space.  Staal will be a UFA this summer and can surely return to Carolina this summer and regain his Captaincy.  Eric Staal hasn't been stellar this season with only 10 goals and 23 assists in 63 games, but the Rangers are are hopeful the trade will rejuvenate this 5 time 30 goal scorer.

The Rangers are giving it their all though with this group of veterans as they have chosen to continue to mortage their future with trading more picks as their first pick will now be in the 3rd round.  Saarela was their last years 3rd round pick.

The time is now for the Rangers and King Lundqvist but it comes again at a cost to the organizations future, do the Rangers have enough to win the Cup in 2016?

For once I'm glad to see another team make the same mistakes the Flyers have done in years past. I will laugh hysterically if the Rangers fail to win the cup and Staal returns to the Canes next season. Abother very Homeristic type move.......

With everyone healthy and playing to their potential, the Rangers absolutely have enough to win the Cup.

However....very much standing in their way is a powerful Washington Capitals team, a possible sneaky upset at the hand of the Islanders, or if the NYR get matched up with someone from the Atlantic, the Lightning right now look like they could be problematic for NY.

Out west? Rangers can match up pretty well with the Kings, Ducks, Hawks, or Stars.

I know that seems like a lot they have to overcome, but I feel a fully healthy, dialed in Rangers team can stay with any of those teams.

Of course, things never work out that clean cut n dry, so there will be a great many other factors in whether they win or lose this year too.

Putting aside for a minute what the Rangers are giving up for 'down the road', I look at this team and don't really see a glaring weakness that makes me believe they CAN'T win it all.

One thing is for sure, if they do, they will have earned it.....very few, if any, 'gimmee' match ups for them.

Then again, looking at the Rangers' roster, with very good, but aging core, they HAVE to win now to justify the contracts given to the players they have. One could argue they should have won a Cup two or three years ago...they didn't....while everyone was saying what an elite, solid core they had then.

Well, fast forward to today and beyond, and that core, while still good, no longer has time on their side.

If they win now, any rebuild that would be in their future can be absorbed...if they don't, it could signal a VERY long road back to respectability for them as franchise, with many people viewing this group as disappointing and all the "I told you sos" that go along with it.

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

...if they don't, it could signal a VERY long road back to respectability for them as franchise, with many people viewing this group as disappointing and all the "I told you sos" that go along with it.

Looking forward to this as a Flyers fan! 

There was talk of Hamhuis re-signing in Vancouver if he was traded, Both Michalek and Vermette re-signed in Arizona this year and were traded at the deadline, so there doesn't seem to be any rule against it. You can't re-acquire a player you buy out (maybe just with a compliance buyout) for one year after doing so.

Well I saw all of the Penguins game and part of the game against the Caps this week, and I cant say that Eric Staal was a factor at all.  I know that it takes time for a player to adjust to a new team, but I don't even think his name was mentioned.  Time will tell if this was a wise move or not.

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Its great when Flyers and Pens fans can agree on something :56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys:

I stopped liking the Rangers since the 1990's when Adam Graves and company kept trying to injure the Penguins top players on a consistent basis!

• 7 months later...

Archived