T.J. Brennan recalled

yave1964

Not sure what else this guy has to prove........TJ Brennan - photo courtesy of cbc.ca

T.J. Brennan is a bit long in the tooth to be considered a prospect but the sucker can play. In spite of spending most of the past seven years in bad organizations he has been stuck, labelled as an AHL star, one of those guys who is good enough to dominate the AHL as a near point per game defenseman but not good enough to stick in the NHL.

Brennan Has Earned His Shot With the LeafsIn spite of leading the AHL in scoring for much of the year (he currently is third with 22 goals, 33 assists good for 55 points in 59 games) when the Leafs dumped bodies and recalled the kids Brennan was ignored, instead Viktor Loov, a younger mobile defenseman was recalled so Babcock could get a look. Loov recently went down and Brennan has FINALLY been recalled to take his place.I try every time I look at the NHL, I try to [remember] that just because you're not there, doesn't mean you're not doing things right," Brennan said. The biggest lesson that I've learned is really controlling what I can. I think things happen for a reason"

It is not unfair to call Brennan the Erik Karlsson of the AHL, a point a game performer from the back end who makes everyone around him better. He is not small, he is responsible in his own zone, but my opinion is that NHL GM's take a look at his stats and say they cannot be right, they must be skewed by something outside of himself. But for the past four years playing with 4 seperate organizations he has averaged nearly a point a game. In 244 games in the AHL he has scored 63 goals and a total of 214 points. And yet.....he is 26, turning 27 in a month, and every day that passes is another day closer to simply not making the big jump.

He could have had a career. Hell, lets get real, he SHOULD have been in the NHL for several years now at least, a middle pair defenseman who runs at worst the second power play for an NHL team but he never has gotten the chance he deserves. He has only played 44 games in the NHL scattered over 3 seasons.

The closest he ever got to a real look was the Panthers gave him 19 games in 2012-13, in those 19 games he had 2 goals and 9 points, over a full NHL season that would have been around 9 goals and 38 points, certainly good enough to hold a regular job in the offensively challenged game that we see today.

But no, the Panthers traded him to the Predators who released him, he signed with Toronto and had a monster year, 72 points in 76 games including 25 goals. In the postseason he had 14 points in 14 games.

The parent Leafs, desperate for defense and offense that year, never even game him a look. He spent the entire year in the AHL.  If Loov had not went down, the same was destined to happen again this year.

I am rooting for him to get a fair shot. If not with the Leafs than with someone. There is no reason in the world for this man to be stuck at the AHL level, he has nothing left to prove. There are at least 50 defenseman currently in possession of an NHL job whom I would choose Brennan over.

6 hours ago, yave1964 said:

He could have had a career. Hell, lets get real, he SHOULD have been in the NHL for several years now at least, a middle pair defenseman who runs at worst the second power play for an NHL team but he never has gotten the chance he deserves. He has only played 44 games in the NHL scattered over 3 seasons.

The closest he ever got to a real look was the Panthers gave him 19 games in 2012-13, in those 19 games he had 2 goals and 9 points, over a full NHL season that would have been around 9 goals and 38 points, certainly good enough to hold a regular job in the offensively challenged game that we see today.

But no, the Panthers traded him to the Predators who released him, he signed with Toronto and had a monster year, 72 points in 76 games including 25 goals. In the postseason he had 14 points in 14 games.

The parent Leafs, desperate for defense and offense that year, never even game him a look. He spent the entire year in the AHL.  If Loov had not went down, the same was destined to happen again this year.

I am rooting for him to get a fair shot. If not with the Leafs than with someone. There is no reason in the world for this man to be stuck at the AHL level, he has nothing left to prove. There are at least 50 defenseman currently in possession of an NHL job whom I would choose Brennan over.

I imagine getting into the NHL has as much to do with who your parents are, who you know from junior hockey, and what hockey school you went to, as it does how good you are. Given where the Leafs are in the standings, why wouldn't this guy be getting playing time?  If I were the GM, I'd have iced over 60 different players by now this season.  :)

17 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Not sure what else this guy has to prove........TJ Brennan - photo courtesy of cbc.ca

I agree completely. I had an opportunity to watch him for a couple of seasons here in Rochester and he completely dominated. Puck moving offensive defensemen with an above average shot. He was often the first shooter selected when the Amerks went to a shootout, rare for a defensemen. He's also a helluva a nice guy. He did a lot of community service while here and my son and I had a chance to interact with him at numerous STH events. He's a Jersey kid and I had always held out hope that the Flyers would take a chance on him the past few years. IMO he is definitely better than some of the other stiffs the Flyers have had on their blueline the last 4-5 yrs. Good luck T.J. !

It blew my mind that when the Leafs decided to recall their top prospects they recalled Loov who is not a spring chicken as far as prospects go, being 23. The Stat lines of the two of them:

LOOV: 55 games 3 goals 12 assists 15 points plus 13

BRENNAN: 59 games 22 goals 33 assists 55 points plus 27

The Leafs have also given looks to Stuart Percy and Scott Harrington and traded for Connor Carrick and immediately installed him in the lineup, all the while leaving Brennan buried in the minors and quite frankly IMHO Brennan is a better player than any of the above.

A large part of it, IMHO is the Leafs are tanking and i can see managements logic being:

A) We would win more games short term with Brennan in our lineup and possibly jeopardize our draft position.

B) In the long run,with Brennan already being 26, getting ready to turn 27 by the time we are good he will be gone anyway..

It sucks, but life is not always fair. A team like Vancouver who gave up a fifth rounder to Edmonton for a guy who bombed in the NHL and is now toiling in the KHL could have picked up Brennan for nothing. He deserves better.

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

A) We would win more games short term with Brennan in our lineup and possibly jeopardize our draft position.

B) In the long run,with Brennan already being 26, getting ready to turn 27 by the time we are good he will be gone anyway..

Bingo!

If I were Brennan, I would give it to the end of this season and then demand a trade if the Leafs didn't plug me into the lineup at the start of next season for an extended look. If nobody was interested (or if they refused to do a trade) I'd walk away (retire). 

While 27 isn't young, he would still be around in five years when the rebuild is complete. At least, I'm assuming this is a Pittsburgh/Chicago/LA style rebuild where it's done right and not an Edmonton style rebuild lol.  :biggrin:

9 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Bingo!

If I were Brennan, I would give it to the end of this season and then demand a trade if the Leafs didn't plug me into the lineup at the start of next season for an extended look. If nobody was interested (or if they refused to do a trade) I'd walk away (retire).

While 27 isn't young, he would still be around in five years when the rebuild is complete. At least, I'm assuming this is a Pittsburgh/Chicago/LA style rebuild where it's done right and not an Edmonton style rebuild lol.  :biggrin:

AAAANNNNNNN one game. 11 minutes. Sent back down. Pathetic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2016 at 7:48 PM, yave1964 said:

AAAANNNNNNN one game. 11 minutes. Sent back down. Pathetic.

Never understood it either i suggested it while back when he left the Flyers should have signed him a right hand shot too. He can move the puck he just needs a chance. And he has never gotten it. Maybe he has been black balled and we aren't aware of it.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Never understood it either i suggested it while back when he left the Flyers should have signed him a right hand shot too. He can move the puck he just needs a chance. And he has never gotten it. Maybe he has been black balled and we aren't aware of it.

I think there's an ointment for that...

• 2 weeks later...

The only real talent the Leafs have in the AHL right now - just my opinion - is wee willie and possibly the goalie Bibeau. We have had a good look at almost everyone on the Marlies' roster, some more than others, but I have not seen anyone I would call a regular NHLer. I don't think there are any hidden gems in The Leafs AHL team. :cry:

1 hour ago, BluPuk said:

The only real talent the Leafs have in the AHL right now - just my opinion - is wee willie and possibly the goalie Bibeau. We have had a good look at almost everyone on the Marlies' roster, some more than others, but I have not seen anyone I would call a regular NHLer. I don't think there are any hidden gems in The Leafs AHL team. :cry:

What happened to Marner? When is he joining the big club? He was the Leafs pick in last year's draft. Every other top guy from that draft is in the NHL already (or not)?

I want to see Brennan on the team starting next year, and I want to see him get a full 82 game look in the same way that they've done for Gardiner and Rielly. He has the credentials in the AHL. He deserves to be up here.

Hunwick and Marincin can go away.

If the Leafs did the following:

1. Sign a veteran goalie that can play 3500+ minutes and play at least an AVERAGE game while Sparks is the backup. 
  2. Sign a veteran defenceman (with Cup rings if possible) that is rock solid in his own zone. (To mentor the kids.)
  3. Sign a veteran centerman/winger that can provide scoring depth and mentor the kids.  

It would be an "intriguing" upcoming season. :)

16 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

What happened to Marner? When is he joining the big club? He was the Leafs pick in last year's draft. Every other top guy from that draft is in the NHL already (or not)?

You mean, other than the fact that he's 18 years old and weighs about 150 lbs soaking wet?

Only 3 of the "top guys" from the 2015 draft are in the NHL by my count: McJesus, Eichel and Hanifin. 

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

You mean, other than the fact that he's 18 years old and weighs about 150 lbs soaking wet?

Only 3 of the "top guys" from the 2015 draft are in the NHL by my count: McJesus, Eichel and Hanifin. 

Ah. That would explain it! :cool[1]:

Just now, WordsOfWisdom said:

Ah. That would explain it! :cool[1]:

I'm always happy to help. You should start bugging Mitch to hit the gym - he's listed at 163, which is tiny. He's got enormous talent, but...

Just now, Podein25 said:

I'm always happy to help. You should start bugging Mitch to hit the gym - he's listed at 163, which is tiny. He's got enormous talent, but...

Why would the Leafs draft such a small player? I don't get it.  :unsure[1]: 

Even if he "bulks up" and puts on his adult weight, he's never going to be more than ~185lbs maybe, in a league where most players are 200+lbs.  

10 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Why would the Leafs draft such a small player? I don't get it.  :unsure[1]: 

Even if he "bulks up" and puts on his adult weight, he's never going to be more than ~185lbs maybe, in a league where most players are 200+lbs.  

I know you've asked this before and I kinda wonder too. At his size, it's not clear that he can be an NHL center - he may need to become a winger. I guess their options, if they wanted a center (they need a big center IMO), was to move up via trade to take Strome or take Zacha. They chose Marner. I imagine there was some good debate about that choice. I could see someone making the case for Marner by pointing to Patrick Kane and saying, do we want to pass on that?

I think the Marner pick was a Mark Hunter decision. I'm really on the fence about it, but I would always err on the side of size personally. I guess I'm just old school. :hocky:

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

I know you've asked this before and I kinda wonder too. At his size, it's not clear that he can be an NHL center - he may need to become a winger. I guess their options, if they wanted a center (they need a big center IMO), was to move up via trade to take Strome or take Zacha. They chose Marner. I imagine there was some good debate about that choice. I could see someone making the case for Marner by pointing to Patrick Kane and saying, do we want to pass on that?

My bad!  :)

According to Wikipedia, Marner is 5'11" and 169lbs.  So he's basically Crosby-sized but without having "filled out" yet. Problem is, he is entering the NHL more than a decade later than Crosby. Each generation grows by a few inches, and the average keeps moving up. Crosby is already on the small side for an NHL center, and he gets pushed around easily. His immense talent and work ethic overcomes it, but he still needs protection out there to keep teams from taking liberties with him. Contrast that with Ovechkin, who is essentially a rocket powered tank on skates. 

I can't help but think that if Marner plays in the NHL someday, he's going to be one of these perimeter players that is agile and quick, but very "breakable" and easily erased from the score sheet by large, physical D-men that will simply push him around, drive him into the boards, and injure him. I could see him wearing down early in his career and not being able to play 82 games in a season. :unsure[1]:

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Crosby is already on the small side for an NHL center, and he gets pushed around easily.

I dunno about that. Sid has tree trunks for legs and has since he was a tennager. His lower half weighs more than Marner! Otherwise I agree with what you're saying. I think Mitch would get plastered if he tried to play at that weight. He's prolly hard to hit though.

Archived