NHL 1st Round: Metro (#1) Washington Captitals vs (WC#2) Philadelphia Flyers

pilldoc

NHL 1st Round: Metro (#1) Washington Captitals vs (WC#2) Philadelphia Flyers  

34 members have voted

1. 1. NHL 1st Round: Metro (#1) Washington Captitals vs (WC#2) Philadelphia Flyers

• Flyers in 4 (Sweep)
    • Flyers in 5
    • Flyers in 6
    • Flyers in 7
    • Capitals in 4 (Sweep)
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Look, I get it.  Flyers site but reality kicks in and no way does Philly survive this.  Caps win this in 5 or less.  This team can win the Cup.

Flyers in 6.

15 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Look, I get it.  Flyers site but reality kicks in and no way does Philly survive this.  Caps win this in 5 or less.  This team can win the Cup.

Thanks Rick for saying caps in "five or less" because your track record of picking cup winners is phenomenal.

How the Sabres doing? 

10 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

Thanks Rick for saying caps in "five or less" because your track record of picking cup winners is phenomenal.

How the Sabres doing? 

TSN picked 15-0 for the Caps so the jinx is on....keep it going!!!

tumblr_n3y07zlfek1r9icsbo1_250.gif

Flyers in 6!!!!!!

16 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Caps win this in 5 or less.  This team can win the Cup.

this caps team looks like the definition of a regular season powerhouse, which is an entirely different thing than a playoff powerhouse.  one overwhelming top line, an ace goalie, and everything else serviceable but not particularly impressive.  

can they beat the flyers?  sure, maybe.  can they win a cup?  no.  you need more than 4 or 5 good players to do that.

1 hour ago, aziz said:

n ace goalie, and everything else serviceable but not particularly impressive.  

I wouldn't say this about Kuznetsov's line. Untested in POs, especially Kuznetsov? Sure, but hardly milktoast.

1 hour ago, aziz said:

you need more than 4 or 5 good players to do that.

Caps have six 20+ goal scorers and two more guys at 17 apiece. That's "more than 4 or 5 good players" where I come from.

Nobody else has that kind of scoring depth this season.

They're far from unbeatable, are carrying a King Kong sized monkey on their backs and still have to prove they can win in the postseason, but they are a legit threat to win it.

Their biggest problem is that I keep picking them every chance I can get :hocky:

32 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I wouldn't say this about Kuznetsov's line. Untested in POs, especially Kuznetsov? Sure, but hardly milktoast.

no, you're right, OV, kuznetsov and backstrom.  after that?

so, more than one actual forward line, but only because one of their top three guys skates on a different line.  tj oshi and jason chimera are depth, definitely, but in a "insert random meh NHL forward here" kind of way.

32 minutes ago, radoran said:

Caps have six 20+ goal scorers and two more guys at 17 apiece. That's "more than 4 or 5 good players" where I come from.

on the other hand, they have all of three players with more than 52 points.  even the flyers have more than that.  that's a lot of unassisted or single assist goals, i.e., transition/fast break goals.  those aren't scoring chances built, they are mistakes being capitalized (lulz) on.  those win regular season games, but they rely on mistakes.  having to rely on an opponent's mistakes in the postseason is a good way to go home early.  you can't go deep in the playoffs unless you are able to dictate your own offense.  if you can contain ovechkin and keep an eye on kuznetsov, then you just have to not cough the puck over to jason chimera and you're good to go.

remember a few years ago when the flyers had 7 20 goal scorers?  2013-14-ish?  i don't remember feeling like they were a deep team back then.  they were top heavy and fed on scraps that stopped appearing as of the second season.  opportunism is great, but it doesn't win playoff series.

51 minutes ago, radoran said:

They're far from unbeatable, are carrying a King Kong sized monkey on their backs and still have to prove they can win in the postseason, but they are a legit threat to win it.

Their biggest problem is that I keep picking them every chance I can get :hocky:

That and what exactly has Trotz ever done??? Not a lot i say even in Nashville his team could never get over the hump.

11 minutes ago, aziz said:

on the other hand, they have all of three players with more than 52 points.  even the flyers have more than that.  that's a lot of unassisted or single assist goals, i.e., transition/fast break goals.  those aren't scoring chances built, they are mistakes being capitalized (lulz) on.  those win regular season games, but they rely on mistakes.  having to rely on an opponent's mistakes in the postseason is a good way to go home early.  you can't go deep in the playoffs unless you are able to dictate your own offense.  if you can contain ovechkin and keep an eye on kuznetsov, then you just have to not cough the puck over to jason chimera and you're good to go.

remember a few years ago when the flyers had 7 20 goal scorers?  2013-14-ish?  i don't remember feeling like they were a deep team back then.  they were top heavy and fed on scraps that stopped appearing as of the second season.  opportunism is great, but it doesn't win playoff series.

Bottom line everyone is undefeated at this point.

Nothing you have done in the regular season gets you anything in the postseason except the seeding.

The pressure is all on the Caps no one is really picking David to beat Goliath and i guess rightfully so.

And let's be honest the Flyers always play better in this role.

Flyers in 6!

1 minute ago, aziz said:

Yes, the Flyers have one more 50+ point guy. And the Caps have three guys over 70 points where the Flyers have zero. The only other 70+ point guys in the East are Tavares and Crosby,

There just might not be as many "unassisted or single goals" as you might think.

They also have two guys with 50+ assists. The Flyers have zero. The Pens have one. The Rangers, Islanders, Panthers, Lightning and Red Wings also have zero.

Four guys with 30+ assists. The Flyers have three. Red Wings 2. Tampa 2. Florida 4. Isles 4. Rags 4. Pens 4.

It seems like their offensive output and balance isn't at all out of whack with the other playoff squads.

I also agree about the 13-14 squad. But none of the Caps' 20+ goal scorers have fewer than 20 assists (where Read and VLC potted 20 and had under 20 assists in 13-14). That team also didn't have a 50-goal scorer

I just think that this Caps team is better than a lot of people give them credit for because of their past failures. That's obviously not to say that they don't need to go out and prove themselves, but they aren't chopped liver. And, as @OccamsRazor notes, everybody is undefeated to start the playoffs and the regular season doesn't count for anything now.

But it's also not like it didn't happen. Ovechkin needs to produce, their secondary scoring needs to hold up and Holtby needs to live up to his career 1.92GAA/.936 average over 34 career NHL playoff games.

If they can get past the Flyers - and that is an "if" - the only obstacle I see between them and the Finals is the Pens. And I wouldn't want to be a Western Conference team coming up against them after they've won three playoff rounds..Again, if they do.

I'll be down at the game on Monday. #goflyers

Flyers in 6.

Flyers steal a road game early, the pressure on the Caps builds, and they crumple under adversity again.

Mason out-duels Holtby.

And the unsung hero for the Flyers in this series? your guess is as good as mine. (Gagner? Streit?)

42 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

That and what exactly has Trotz ever done??? Not a lot i say even in Nashville his team could never get over the hump.

Nashville? Seriously, Nashville??

Nashville has never (EEEEEVVVVVVEERRRRRR) had the kind of offense this Caps team has. They last had a 70+ point guy a decade ago with Kariya.

The Caps have three this season.

Fred Shero had never won anything as a coach before 1974. Joel Quenneville had been past the second round twice in ten years as a coach before winning with Chicago. Darryl Sutter went out in the first round six times in 12 years and was without an NHL head coaching job for five years before taking over the Kings and winning the Cup...

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yes, the Flyers have one more 50+ point guy. And the Caps have three guys over 70 points where the Flyers have zero. The only other 70+ point guys in the East are Tavares and Crosby,

There just might not be as many "unassisted or single goals" as you might think.

They also have two guys with 50+ assists. The Flyers have zero. The Pens have one. The Rangers, Islanders, Panthers, Lightning and Red Wings also have zero.

Four guys with 30+ assists. The Flyers have three. Red Wings 2. Tampa 2. Florida 4. Isles 4. Rags 4. Pens 4.

It seems like their offensive output and balance isn't at all out of whack with the other playoff squads.

I also agree about the 13-14 squad. But none of the Caps' 20+ goal scorers have fewer than 20 assists (where Read and VLC potted 20 and had under 20 assists in 13-14). That team also didn't have a 50-goal scorer

I just think that this Caps team is better than a lot of people give them credit for because of their past failures. That's obviously not to say that they don't need to go out and prove themselves, but they aren't chopped liver. And, as @OccamsRazor notes, everybody is undefeated to start the playoffs and the regular season doesn't count for anything now.

But it's also not like it didn't happen. Ovechkin needs to produce, their secondary scoring needs to hold up and Holtby needs to live up to his career 1.92GAA/.936 average over 34 career NHL playoff games.

If they can get past the Flyers - and that is an "if" - the only obstacle I see between them and the Finals is the Pens. And I wouldn't want to be a Western Conference team coming up against them after they've won three playoff rounds..Again, if they do.

I'll be down at the game on Monday. #goflyers

Well i for one who is done disputing this all. I know pretty much everything points to favor the Caps i'm living in the underdog status of this team...

underdog.gif

....and enjoying it moving forward i've always thought that role has always favored the Flyers.

If you look back to LA's 1st Cup as an 8th seed no one was giving them a chance either...not saying they are that team but they have a lot of components that remind me of them.

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Well i for one who is done disputing this all. I know pretty much everything points to favor the Caps i'm living in the underdog status of this team...

underdog.gif

....and enjoying it moving forward i've always thought that role has always favored the Flyers.

If you look back to LA's 1st Cup as an 8th seed no one was giving them a chance either...not saying they are that team but they have a lot of components that remind me of them.

Oh, believe me, I think this situation is a nightmare for Washington.

As I said earlier in the thread (and @AndyS just said) if they take one of the early games in Washington, the wheels could come off the Caps in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Nashville? Seriously, Nashville??

Nashville has never (EEEEEVVVVVVEERRRRRR) had the kind of offense this Caps team has. They last had a 70+ point guy a decade ago with Kariya.

The Caps have three this season.

Fred Shero had never won anything as a coach before 1974. Joel Quenneville had been past the second round twice in ten years as a coach before winning with Chicago. Darryl Sutter went out in the first round six times in 12 years and was without an NHL head coaching job for five years before taking over the Kings and winning the Cup...

Once again what has Barry Trotz done in the postseason??? His last two in Nashville he didn't even make the playoffs. And he has never even made it to the conference finals in 16 years with the Preds. And only made it to the semifinals twice of course losing both. So to me the Caps along with their coach have a lot to prove.

Coots will be available this time in Washington too this time around!!!!

r1erkn.jpg

10 minutes ago, radoran said:

And none of what those guys did give Trotz any advantage HE still has to prove it. Till then not worried.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Once again what has Barry Trotz done in the postseason??? His last two in Nashville he didn't even make the playoffs. And he has never even made it to the conference finals in 16 years with the Preds. And only made it to the semifinals twice of course losing both. So to me the Caps along with their coach have a lot to prove.

Nice job of being "done disputing" :hocky:

Again, Nashville is just a terrible comparison because they have simply never had the offensive chops of this Washington team.

That said, I absolutely agree that Trotz and the Caps have a lot to prove. And until they do, they will always be questioned. And rightly so.

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And none of what those guys did give Trotz any advantage HE still has to prove it. Till then not worried.

I'm not saying "be worried". I'm saying this year's Caps aren't necessarily the Sharks :lol:

But the Flyers have a whole bunch to prove, too, for that matter.

Should be a fun series.

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

Nice job of being "done disputing"

Well the other hadn't posted yet before i posted.

I use to like before the update when someone posted before you did it would appear in the right order as your post but you can't see the newest post till you refresh...it is sort of annoying...but i'll deal with it....but i'm done debating it from here on out.

Flyers in 6!!!

Yoda-smoking-weed.jpg

Archived