NHL 1st Round: Metro (#1) Washington Captitals vs (WC#2) Philadelphia Flyers

pilldoc

NHL 1st Round: Metro (#1) Washington Captitals vs (WC#2) Philadelphia Flyers  

34 members have voted

1. 1. NHL 1st Round: Metro (#1) Washington Captitals vs (WC#2) Philadelphia Flyers

• Flyers in 4 (Sweep)
    • Flyers in 5
    • Flyers in 6
    • Flyers in 7
    • Capitals in 4 (Sweep)
    • Capitals in 5
    • Capitals in 6
    • Capitals in 7

Congrats to the Flyers for making the playoffs.

All discussion between the Flyers and Capitals playoff series here.

Schedule:

Thu 4/14, 7pm: PHI @ WSH | NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports
Sat 4/16, 7pm: PHI @ WSH | CNBC, CBC, TVA Sports
Mon 4/18, 7pm: WSH @ PHI | NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports
Wed 4/20, 7pm: WSH @ PHI | NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports
*Fri 4/22, TBD: PHI @ WSH | TBD
*Sun 4/24, TBD: WSH @ PHI | TBD
*Wed 4/27, TBD: PHI @ WSH | TBD

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flyers in 7. This is going to be an excellent opening series. Fast skating, hard hitting and I'm expecting the goalies to really shine. The reason I'm choosing the Flyers is that Holtby has started 138 games over the past two years. That kind of playing time is bound to catch up with him. It would be different if he played on a defensively regimented team, but the Caps aren't that. He's going to be gassed and I also think that with the Flyers splitting the series against the Caps this year, the Flyers are in their heads.

@BobbyClarkeFan16

I hear what your are saying and I understand your point of view regarding Holtby.  However, if I take off my  O&B glasses, sadly the Capitals are just, for now, the better team.  The emergence of Kuznetsov has added a whole new dimension to this Capitals team.  I will give the Flyers all the credit in the world for making the playoffs.  Let us not forget that the Flyers beat a Pens team without Malkin / Crosby / Letang / MAF.  I'm not trying to be a downer here, just facing the realistic facts.  This same team lost to the Red Wings and Leafs.

I think this will be a great learning experience for the younger guys and for Hakstol.  Based on the way the Flyers played the Capitals in the last game...I do believe the Flyers will give the Capitals a run for their money and will scare the living bejeezus out of their fans. But in the end, the Caps are the better team and will expose the Flyers blue line for what it is and for players not name Ghost or Gudas.  Hence the reason I will go with the Capitals in 6.  I will rejoice mightily if i am wrong and I will certainly eat a nice share of humble pie.

Flyers have been grinding in p!ayoff mode the past month. I think they will give the caps all they can handle. Can't give them too many PP chances. If we can get in their heads, I think they may choke. We can also have Emery sit behind Holtby and just stare at him:ph34r:

The Caps ended up with the most points in the league, scored the 2nd most goals, allowed the least, have a great goalie and the best depth they've ever had. 

But until they prove otherwise, they are still one of the most underachieving playoff teams in NHL history.

I still hate our D.

Capitals in five. Just too deep and talented. Plus the one thing the Flyers have had difficulties with all year is speed, the Caps are built around it.

There is no area that I can give the Flyers the edge, forwards, defense, goaltending, all go to the Capitals. I am sorry but barring a complete breakdown by the Caps this one is easy.

I again completely agree with @yave1964's reasoning.  You simply cannot argue with it.  I don't have Orange & Black glasses and tend to lean more toward Negadelphia.

All that said, I picked the Flyers in 7.   Why?  For the same reason as my pick in the Chicago/St. Louis series:   I do not and will not believe in the Caps until proven otherwise.  Just like the Blues, they find a way -- sometimes even create a way if one cannot be "found" -- to defeat themselves.

I hope I'm right, too, because more than any other fan base, I really cannot stand Balt-Wash fans (yeah, I know, Pitt.  But yinz fans from Pitt really aren't bad, as evidenced by our Pens posters on this board).

Hmm...it would be easy to sit here and say the Caps will absolutely bulldoze the Flyers, but based on Philly's play (they really are a team that you just don't know what you can expect), AND the fact that watching some Caps games, they are prone to some serious lapses, I'm gonna say the Flyers give them more trouble than most people think.......although the Caps come out on top in the end.

No question Washington has had a season for the ages, but their armor isn't completely without it's cracks.

Granted, not very many teams during the season have taken advantage of the sometimes lazy play of the Caps, but fact remains, the team DOES give the opposition chances.

Holtby, good as he was all year, sometimes looks bored out there....then all of a sudden, the other team gets a rush going his way, he isn't quite ready, and BAM, he lets in a goal.

Bottom line here is:

If the Flyers are to have ANY chance in this series, they not only need to mind their own end, but take FULL advantage of the opportunities the Caps give them. Washington won't be giving up great scoring chances so easily, but when they do, Philly BETTER be there, or else......

Top to bottom though, Washington just has so much more going for them, so despite the Flyers' fight, I say Caps in 6.

12 hours ago, yave1964 said:

There is no area that I can give the Flyers the edge, forwards, defense, goaltending, all go to the Capitals.

I'd say goaltending is even. Holtby won't face as much firepower so you can call that an edge but the goalies themselves are all about equal.

Mason / Neuvirth will need to be outstanding whereas Holtby can afford a few mistakes; he'll likely have better goal support. But if the Flyers' goalies can steal a game or 2 ... ?...

The Flyers have been fighting for their playoff lives for two months...The Caps, meanwhile, have been in cruise control. I think the Flyers are in the right place mentally going into this series, whereas the Caps might come out a bit sluggish, even with Trotz as coach. There aren't any shootouts in the playoffs, so advantage to the Flyers right there.  My breakdown: Offensively, a huge advantage for the Capitals with Ovechkin, Kuznetzov, Oshie, and Mr. Playoff, Justin Williams and Co. Defensively, I think its a push as long as Ghost, Couts and Gudas stay healthy. I think the goaltending is even as well, although Holtby is right up there for the Vezina this season. Mason is the #1 reason this team even had a shot to get into the playoffs. I think that it ultimately will come down to special teams. The Flyers' power play MUST show up in this series for them to even have a chance. If it does (and I think it will) they can take the series. You know the Caps will score their fair share on the advantage, which is why they can't go "full Rinaldo" or it could be really, really bad news with their great firepower. I say Flyers in 7.

I hoping that the Flyers take it in 7! Washington playoff record sucks! I believe the Capitals are a better team and the Flyers are gassed due to the scheduling down the stretch! Should the Capitals win this series they will have an excellent chance of going to the Stanley Cup Finals!

On 4/10/2016 at 8:06 PM, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He's going to be gassed and I also think that with the Flyers splitting the series against the Caps this year, the Flyers are in their heads.

I agree. And we will see on display when they open up the series beating them in their barn......Caps will struggle to get over that shocker is why i say Flyers are taking it in 6.

Flyers have been playing damn good hockey this past month and a half and will rise to the occasion to take them down. Secondary scoring will be the difference.

So i got the Flyers winning-4 Caps-1 Refs-1 :56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys:

On 4/10/2016 at 8:19 PM, pilldoc said:

This same team lost to the Red Wings and Leafs.

Yeah and the Caps lost 4 out of their last 5 games heading into the playoffs too so let's not underestimate teams thinking they can just flip a switch and turn it on come playoff time this combined with the presidents Cup curse along with the fact Flyers whooped the Caps last game they played which to me spells their upset by the hungrier team.

And they are doing it for Ed.

Flyers in 6 Flyers-4 Caps-1 Refs-1

GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!!!!

R.I.P. Snider

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah and the Caps lost 4 out of their last 5 games heading into the playoffs too so let's not underestimate teams thinking they can just flip a switch and turn it on come playoff time this combined with the presidents Cup curse along with the fact Flyers whooped the Caps last game they played which to me spells their upset by the hungrier team.

And they are doing it for Ed.

Flyers in 6 Flyers-4 Caps-1 Refs-1

GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!!!!

R.I.P. Snider

WOW, the series has not even started and already blaming the Ref....:ph34r:

1 minute ago, yave1964 said:

WOW, the series has not even started and already blaming the Ref....:ph34r:

C'mon it's AO don't think Sid is the only diving Buttman star around the NHL. I hope my Flyers have been brushing up on their diving technique they are going to have to fire with fire. Plus if they survive this round it will prepare them for the Pens who i think they would face next.

And as a side note after watching that last Cap game yes the refs tried like hell to give them that game one of the worst reffed games i had seen all season!

I don't know if there has ever been a team as expected to lose in the playoffs as the Caps.  Despite their gaudy tear through the regular season, it's all meaningless right now.  These two teams couldn't be more complete opposites.  

For the Caps, they have been trying to manufacture meaningful games for the past 6 weeks hoping to "ramp up their game" for the playoffs.  They have not had a must win, pressure filled game all year.  Sure, they say they're ready.  They talk about "Rocking the Red" in Washington, but collectively the entire group - from fans, to the owners, coaches, players, and equipment managers - are all waiting, and hoping that they can and will respond to their first meaningful game of the year.  All hoping they can flip the proverbial switch.  All knowing that in the hockey world all eyes are on them, and waiting for them to fail.

On the other side you have a team where every game since the all-star break has been pressure filled.  Even more so over the past 6 weeks where every game was a must win game.  They are tested.  They have been pushed to their limits.  They know what it's like to be trailing in a must win game, and are entering these playoffs knowing that they've proven to themselves that they can beat anyone.  Their season is already considered a success, even if they lose 4 straight playoff games.

Sure, the Caps are the more talented team.  Sure, they have the better regular season record.  BUT... let's just sample the last 25 games.

Over that span the Flyers are 16-6-3.  Out of a possible 50 points in the standings, they earned 35.  That equates to a .700 winning percentage.  Over that span they've been a plus 11, scoring 75 while giving up 64.  

In the last 25 the Caps are 13-8-4.  A winning percentage of .600.  They were a plus 7, scoring 65 and giving up 58.

Just looking at this sample, one could say the FLYERS are the better team heading into the playoffs.  Better record, and shockingly have scored more goals per game.

But stats are stats, and nothing more.  Clearly, the Caps should easily handle the Flyers based on the talent they have on their roster.  But this series will come down to the first 3 games.  IF the Caps find themselves in a dogfight, the pressure will be immense.  If the Flyers find themselves in a dogfight, they will start to believe even more in themselves - if that is at all possible.

I see this series either going quick for the Caps, or more likely being a dogfight.  If it's the latter, then I think the series is a toss up.

Throw in the motivation to win for Ed Snider, and I could see the Flyers taking this in 7.

31 minutes ago, eleven24 said:

I don't know if there has ever been a team as expected to lose in the playoffs as the Caps.  Despite their gaudy tear through the regular season, it's all meaningless right now.  These two teams couldn't be more complete opposites.  

For the Caps, they have been trying to manufacture meaningful games for the past 6 weeks hoping to "ramp up their game" for the playoffs.  They have not had a must win, pressure filled game all year.  Sure, they say they're ready.  They talk about "Rocking the Red" in Washington, but collectively the entire group - from fans, to the owners, coaches, players, and equipment managers - are all waiting, and hoping that they can and will respond to their first meaningful game of the year.  All hoping they can flip the proverbial switch.  All knowing that in the hockey world all eyes are on them, and waiting for them to fail.

On the other side you have a team where every game since the all-star break has been pressure filled.  Even more so over the past 6 weeks where every game was a must win game.  They are tested.  They have been pushed to their limits.  They know what it's like to be trailing in a must win game, and are entering these playoffs knowing that they've proven to themselves that they can beat anyone.  Their season is already considered a success, even if they lose 4 straight playoff games.

Sure, the Caps are the more talented team.  Sure, they have the better regular season record.  BUT... let's just sample the last 25 games.

Over that span the Flyers are 16-6-3.  Out of a possible 50 points in the standings, they earned 35.  That equates to a .700 winning percentage.  Over that span they've been a plus 11, scoring 75 while giving up 64.  

In the last 25 the Caps are 13-8-4.  A winning percentage of .600.  They were a plus 7, scoring 65 and giving up 58.

Just looking at this sample, one could say the FLYERS are the better team heading into the playoffs.  Better record, and shockingly have scored more goals per game.

But stats are stats, and nothing more.  Clearly, the Caps should easily handle the Flyers based on the talent they have on their roster.  But this series will come down to the first 3 games.  IF the Caps find themselves in a dogfight, the pressure will be immense.  If the Flyers find themselves in a dogfight, they will start to believe even more in themselves - if that is at all possible.

I see this series either going quick for the Caps, or more likely being a dogfight.  If it's the latter, then I think the series is a toss up.

Throw in the motivation to win for Ed Snider, and I could see the Flyers taking this in 7.

Well said brother. I agree in fact we said the same you but you said it better!

Flyers in 6!!!!

Whatever a team has done going into the playoffs means zilch once the playoffs start.  The 92-93 Pens won seventeen in a row to end the season.  How'd that work out? #davidvolek

The Hawks closed out the regular season last year losing 4 straight.  Worked out OK.

The Caps have had nothing to play for since what....December? Meanwhile, the Flyers backed into the playoffs by losing 3 straight before "winning" against a Pens team that didn't care and an Isles team that really didn't care. The reality is neither team is "hot" going by how they closed out the regular season.

It won't be a cakewalk. Most of the games will be close. Caps in 6.

Archived