Kari Lehtonen worst big game goalie-ever

yave1964

Not trying to pile on the Stars who did not show up for their embarrassing 6-1 loss to the Blues last night, lack of effort, stnading around watching the Blues all night, no this is all about the one man most responsible for the loss. Not Brian Elliott, or David Backes. Or Taresenko.

Kari Lehtonen is the worst big game goalie of all time. th?id=OIP.M88395f011b15797543a06e9185060 Period, end of story. He makes Antti Niemi look like a love child of Patrick Roy and George Vezina.

https://www.nhl.com/video/embed/situation-room-stl-vs-dal-gm7/t-277350912/c-43930703?autostart=false#

He has been a starting goalie in the NHL now for a decade, it seems like such a short time ago that he came into the league and helped the Atlanta Thrashers to a division titlein 2007 only to ruin their season giving up 11 goals in 2 games with a nifty 5.59 goals against in the postseason as the stunned Thrashers were swept. th?id=OIP.M181fa4ec89d37811b79e5af652adc

He has been in the NHL 12 years, his teams have made the playoffs three times and won exactly one series. That is it.

That is not counting the 2010-11 debacle where the Stars set a record for most points by a team that missed the playoffs, they went into the season finale needing 1 point against the Wild, instead Lehtonen had other ideas, giving up 5 quickies to settle the matter quickly so that he could board a plane for Helsinki or whatever witness protection program he entered. They were well on their way to the postseason before Lehtonen took it upon himself to go 5-9 down the stretch and kill their season dead.

overall his career numbers are:

Regular season: 179-111-40 with a 2.60 goals against and .914 save pct.

Not great, but his postseason is something not even Stephen King could dream up:

Postseason:8-9 with a 3.30 goals against and a save pct. of .889

The man is okay in the regular season, the numbers are decent, good enough for a backup or for a team that is not taking itself too seriously, but not for a team like Dallas. Putting old 'Letfourin" as the last line of defense for a team that is built to win right now is absurd. Niemi is not the answer either but if you think that Lehtonen is then obviously you misunderstood the question.

Worst big game goalie ever. Nobody even close.

25 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

http://www.talk-sports.net/nhl/sucks.aspx/Kari_Lehtonen

There is even a forum dedicated to how bad he sucks. He sucks left, he sucks right, he sucks on game days , he sucks at night, he sucks on breakaways, any day and always.Given the chance to shine and glow, he instead begins to suck then blow. If there is a Hall of Fame for sucking, I an certain that he won't be ducking. he is a first ballot performer.

Sounds like a Dr. Suess book........This is a guy who was bested by Michael Leighton for cripes sakes....

The one thing I really didn't like from Kari Lehtonen was when he let one of the soft goals in he immediately pointed to one of his defenseman as to put the blame on them right away. That is definitely not the thing to do on the ice. If he wanted to talk to that teammate in the locker room about that goal than fine, but don't go pointing out a teammate on the ice. That is just wrong.

4 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

I'd rather have current Ryan Miller in net for my Panthers. That's how bad he is.

Careful, your inner Sabre is showing again..........:hockey-goal-scoring-smiley-emoticon:

Everyone should have known. Let's look at a break down of his name: Leht-one-n -- "Let one in." That's what he thinks when he sees a shot coming his way.

On 5/13/2016 at 8:44 PM, JagerMeister said:

What? I think you have misidentified me with another poster...

I could never really confuse you with our friend " Buffalo". I was just making a funny because of your goalie of choice.

19 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

I could never really confuse you with our friend " Buffalo". I was just making a funny because of your goal of choice.

Ah ok, because I was starting to question your age and mental health...

13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

So he's coming to Toronto then? Fantastic. At least I know who our replacement for Bernier will be. :hocky:

lol, no I said BIG game. Toronto is on the right path but awhile yet before having big games. Unless it is the last game of the year, needing a loss for the leagues worst record, then he would undoubtedly have a 57 shot shutout, hence winning when he should lose. He couldn't even do that right.....:ph34r:

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

lol, no I said BIG game. Toronto is on the right path but awhile yet before having big games. Unless it is the last game of the year, needing a loss for the leagues worst record, then he would undoubtedly have a 57 shot shutout, hence winning when he should lose. He couldn't even do that right.....:ph34r:

Perhaps a tandem of Burnsya and Letfourin is in order then? They could try to one-up each other every game to see who can allow the most back breaking goal, the biggest comeback choke loss, most lob-sided defeat, etc.

:hockey-goal-scoring-smiley-emoticon:

Archived