Florida Panthers/Vancouver Canucks Trade

Erik+Gudbranson+wnLfiN6h2FEm.jpgFlorida Panthers trade former 3rd overall pick in 2010 to the Vancouver Canucks. Erik Gudbranson was dealt along with a 5th overall pick. In return, the Panthers acquire forward Jared McCann and two draft picks (rounds and year to be announced.) 

Erik Gudbranson has played a total of 309 NHL regular season games and 13 playoff games. In those 309 games he has 43 points (11-32) and is a -49. Of his -49, -41 came in his first 2 seasons, so he has started to level out defensively.

Jared McCann, 24th overall in 2014 has played 69 career games (all coming this season) he has 18 points (9-9) and was -6.

We will see how this trade pans out, maybe a change in location will help Gudbranson get on track. He may never be a 20 goal scorer or a 50 assists guy, but he can become a hell of a defencemen. He already has the size at 6'5" and 216lbs - and his defensive play has picked up in the last few years.

Certainly continues to show the relationship between FL and VAN continues as they were also the ones who traded Roberto Luongo back and fourth.... in 2006 and then again in 2014.

Not sure I like giving up a big mean defenseman in Gudbranson if I am Florida...however, the Panthers DO need offense, they won't be getting it from Gudbranson, and this McCann just may flourish in the fast paced and positive environment that is now Sunrise, FL.

Also, nice for FLA to net 2 higher picks for their lower one.

As for Vancouver, though I feel they are getting a pretty solid defenseman, it is certainly going to take much more than that to turn their fortunes around. That team has so many holes, hard to tell where to even start.

One thing is for sure: Gudbranson is going to find himself in a very different situation...going from a team that is looking to a bright immediate future, to one that may likely go into a long rebuild.

Even though Gudbranson is the established NHL player in this deal, I'm gonna give the edge to Florida simply due to the fact that they have so many other parts to compliment their incoming picks and the new prospect McCann.

trading Gudbranson was not a wise decision. Our defense was incredibly mediocre last year, and trading arguably our best defensive defenseman for a centerman is more detrimental to this team. Our offense, while needing improvement particularly in consistency, still remained much more effective overall then our defense. Our offense was sufficient enough, we had six players exceeding the 50 point mark and five 20 goal scorers. We definitely lost this trade..

9 hours ago, Flyersaremykindofjoke said:

Erik+Gudbranson+wnLfiN6h2FEm.jpgFlorida Panthers trade former 3rd overall pick in 2010 to the Vancouver Canucks. Erik Gudbranson was dealt along with a 5th overall round pick this year.   In return, the Panthers acquire forward Jared McCann and two draft picks (rounds and year to be announced) 2nd and 4th this year.

Erik Gudbranson has played a total of 309 NHL regular season games and 13 playoff games. In those 309 games he has 43 points (11-32) and is a -49. Of his -49, -41 came in his first 2 seasons, so he has started to level out defensively.

Jared McCann, 24th overall in 2014 has played 69 career games (all coming this season) he has 18 points (9-9) and was -6.

We will see how this trade pans out, maybe a change in location will help Gudbranson get on track. He may never be a 20 goal scorer or a 50 assists guy, but he can become a hell of a defencemen. He already has the size at 6'5" and 216lbs - and his defensive play has picked up in the last few years.

Certainly continues to show the relationship between FL and VAN continues as they were also the ones who traded Roberto Luongo back and fourth.... in 2006 and then again in 2014.

Fixed.

This trades surprises me.  The Panthers are giving up a 6'5" right handed d-man for a smallish young forward who played 69 games last year with 18 pts.  He figures to be a top 6 forward.  Maybe this trade provides the Panthers some speed with Barkov?  Although we knew the Canucks planned on improving their defensive corps Gudbrandon was being coined as the next Panther's captain.  There have been rumors around also that Campbell will be leaving the Panthers too.  Who are in the Panthers plans to fill the defensive void?

Seems like more moves are to come for the Panthers.

2 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Fixed.

Much better. Big difference!

I don't understand this trade. I like the looks of Michael Matheson too, but he's not the same type of D-man. This looks like a fresh GM eager to make a trade, even a dumb one.

My thoughts:

Gubranson is a big strong physical defenseman, slow, plodding with no offensive skill at all. A nasty streak but no upside. He is what he is.

McCann is a teenager who played 4th line minutes on a team that was lost last season and was okay, 9 goals, 18 points and was defensively responsible. His upside is easily a top six forward, perhaps more.

I like gubransan, I really do, but this trade makes zero sense for the Canucks. Yes their defense was among the absolute worst in Hockey last year but this makes no sense. Gubranson is a bottom pair defenseman or at best a number 4, no offense at all to add to the table which is what the Canucks desperately need, a puck mover. I know they are counting on draft pick Tryamkin who came over at the end of the season for that but the jury is still out. Tryamkin and Gubranson are both big and nasty so in that regard it helps shape the defense but this is the second first round pick (Hunter Shinkaruk donated to the Flames for Markus Granlund) they have given away in recent months.

McCann coming over says to me the Panthers are worried about the concussion issues bothering Bjugstad. I have read a lot about McCann being small but he is over six foot and fast and has a great vision for the game. My opinion is the Panthers DESTROYED the Canucks on this deal. They traded a proven commodity in Gubranson who is what he is and has zero upside beyond being a shut down defender with no offense, for a top six forward with upside.

Game, set match to the Panthers. Not even close.

OH and I didnt even factor in the draft picks. Proof that Benning has virtually zero idea what he is doing and the Canucks will suffer for his ineptitude for years to come. Of course if he did keep the draft picks, around the time that they were starting to develop he would trade them away anyway for a used bucket of practice pucks or the remains of Dan Cleary or something like that. Dumb trade for the Canucks.

19 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Gubranson is a big strong physical defenseman, slow, plodding with no offensive skill at all. A nasty streak but no upside. He is what he is.

Is he really "slow and plodding"?  I admit that I don't watch FLA very often - not often enough, 'cause I like their team and have both Barkov and Bjugstad on my keeper - but my inclination is to challenge that statement. When he was drafted, scouts referred to his mobility for a big guy. So, I'm a bit confused.

55 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Is he really "slow and plodding"?  I admit that I don't watch FLA very often - not often enough, 'cause I like their team and have both Barkov and Bjugstad on my keeper - but my inclination is to challenge that statement. When he was drafted, scouts referred to his mobility for a big guy. So, I'm a bit confused.

Per the Hockey News:

Assets: Has great size, physicality and leadership qualities. Can play a shutdown role with aplomb. Displays untapped all-around potential, as well, especially because of a good point shot.
Flaws: Needs to prove capable of staying healthy over the long haul, since he's battled both injury and illness during his formative years. Will drop the gloves but needs more work in that area.
Career Potential: Big, talented and physical defender with a little upside.

I read Hockey Futures and a few scouting reports about him before he entered the draft, all say he was a solid defender and that his offense would come along.

It has not. Not at all.

PER HOCKEYFUTURES:

Gudbranson’s character is unquestionable. He possesses all the traits one likes in a player: He is a leader, very composed and poised on the ice, mature, smart, and has future captain written all over him. In terms of his ability, he has a rocket shot, which has helped increase his offensive production. He makes crisp, smart first passes, and can contribute in all three zones. For a guy of his size, Gudbranson is a smooth skater. Finally, he has innate hockey sense that rivals many of the top picks in the draft. Although there is still room for improvement in his physical game, Gudbranson has shown huge strides in this regard this season. He is also not opposed to dropping the gloves when necessary.

Nowhere in there or anywhere have I found anything that says he has speed.

The eyeball test, watching him play half a dozen times a year against the Wings for a couple of years now and maybe a half a dozen other times a year when there is nothing better to do on a cold January night but watch Panthers games, I have seen nothing resembling speed. He led the team in defensive zone faceoffs, he was their shutdown guy for a couple of years now, last year especially.

Throw in he is already showing signs of being brittle, he missed time three separate times last season.

His points over 4 full seasons in the NHL: 9,13,9, 8.

So he is a shut down defender, I stick with the slow and plodding based off the eye test where I never saw him carry the puck past center ice ever in a single game that I have watched him play, until evidence to the contrary appears. I give him credit for his defense which from every account is that he is developed nicely in that area, but he has virtually zero upside. What might he blossom into? 15 points in a year? 26 would double his career high. I doubt that will ever happen.

So the Panthers traded a shutdown defender with no offense at all for a teen with damn good upside as a top six forward whose skills fit the forwards they have quite nicely. As the Panthers I do this trade every day and twice on Sunday. I do this deal even up, the draft picks make it a rotten deal by Benning and a great deal for the Panthers. Guys like Gudbranson can be replaced in the free agent market on the cheap, kids like McCann cannot.

I deliberately did not mention the strike year where he played 32 of 48 games due to injuries and had zero goals and 4 assists.

His career total in power play goals in 5 seasons is zero.

He is a 20 minute a night defensive defensemen and his nastiness has slipped as well. His PIMs fall every year. He dont fight like he used to and because of wear and tear he dont hit like he did.

Pass. Not a bust as the third pick in the draft, but not one of the more memorable picks either.

9 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Per the Hockey News:

Assets: Has great size, physicality and leadership qualities. Can play a shutdown role with aplomb. Displays untapped all-around potential, as well, especially because of a good point shot.
Flaws: Needs to prove capable of staying healthy over the long haul, since he's battled both injury and illness during his formative years. Will drop the gloves but needs more work in that area.

I read Hockey Futures and a few scouting reports about him before he entered the draft, all say he was a solid defender and that his offense would come along.

It has not. Not at all.

PER HOCKEYFUTURES:

Gudbranson’s character is unquestionable. He possesses all the traits one likes in a player: He is a leader, very composed and poised on the ice, mature, smart, and has future captain written all over him. In terms of his ability, he has a rocket shot, which has helped increase his offensive production. He makes crisp, smart first passes, and can contribute in all three zones. For a guy of his size, Gudbranson is a smooth skater. Finally, he has innate hockey sense that rivals many of the top picks in the draft. Although there is still room for improvement in his physical game, Gudbranson has shown huge strides in this regard this season. He is also not opposed to dropping the gloves when necessary.

The eyeball test, watching him play half a dozen times a year against the Wings for a couple of years now and maybe a half a dozen other times a year when there is nothing better to do on a cold January night but watch Panthers games, I have seen nothing resembling speed. He led the team in defensive zone faceoffs, he was their shutdown guy for a couple of years now, last year especially.

Throw in he is already showing signs of being brittle, he missed time three separate times last season.

So he is a shut down defender, I stick with the slow and plodding based off the eye test where I never saw him carry the puck past center ice ever in a single game that I have watched him play, until evidence to the contrary appears. I give him credit for his defense which from every account is that he is developed nicely in that area, but he has virtually zero upside. What might he blossom into? 15 points in a year? 26 would double his career high. I doubt that will ever happen.

So the Panthers traded a shutdown defender with no offense at all for a teen with damn good upside as a top six forward whose skills fit the forwards they have quite nicely. As the Panthers I do this trade every day and twice on Sunday. I do this deal even up, the draft picks make it a rotten deal by Benning and a great deal for the Panthers. Guys like Gudbranson can be replaced in the free agent market on the cheap, kids like McCann cannot.

Fair enough. But I think you are at risk of conflating - or confusing - lack of offensive ability/talent with skating. As long as he can get around, can turn and can move the puck who cares?

I also disagree that you can easily replace a 6'5" D-man with his shutdown abilities and pedigree "on the cheap" 

But I'm not going to argue the point too much as I've not seen him enough....

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Fair enough. But I think you are at risk of conflating - or confusing - lack of offensive ability/talent with skating. As long as he can get around, can turn and can move the puck who cares?

I also disagree that you can easily replace a 6'5" D-man with his shutdown abilities and pedigree "on the cheap" 

But I'm not going to argue the point too much as I've not seen him enough....

Fair enough, I guess my point is he has zero ability past center ice, he is damn good in the defensive zone, I will give you that.

My point about replacing him, it is one hell of a lot easier to add a stay at home rugged defensive d-man than to find a 19 year old two way center with upside. Basically the Cats added a young center whom admitedly I am high on, and saved 5 million dollars in the process. They can not only replace Gudbranson for that money but may be able to fill two holes with the money.

Gudbranson could play for me any time. I think I have come across dickish, like he has no value, he certainly does, there is a reason he led the Cats in defensive zone faceoffs, it is his bread and butter and he is very good at his role. But after 5 years it is time to say that what you see is what you get, that is all there is. McCann could and should be a top six forward for a decade. So it comes down to your druthers, I guess. Personally I go with the kid and the cap relief PLUS the draft picks and go hunting for a shut down defenseman. Plenty of them out there, and if you have to settle for one who is 90 percent the player that Gudbranson is, the kid, the picks, the cap relief easily still swing this as a steal for the Panthers.

@yave1964

You have not come across as dickish at all. It's just a conversation. You make good points. I know someone who is/was big on McCann so I see the upside. And the picks are really nice. I also note that many Canucks fans are seething. So, yeah, not even close to "dickish" good buddy.

On 5/26/2016 at 1:12 PM, yave1964 said:

Per the Hockey News:

It has not. Not at all.

PER HOCKEYFUTURES:

I watched his entire career. While no speed demon slow plodding accurate at all. he is smooth skating like said and quite physical as said. He is a leader and will play against top opposing fowards well. he wont be easily replaced at all. Quite frankly we need more like him. Unfortunately Panthers are a soft team, and when playoffs came were exposed. He was one of few that aren't. While this kid McCann may have some upside, we dont even have room on our team right now to play his position. At best he'll be a bottom 6 foward right now, so in needs of position we lost already. Yes no offensive juggernaut but hard shot and will make safe play.

11 minutes ago, ezlot76 said:

I watched his entire career. While no speed demon slow plodding accurate at all. he is smooth skating like said and quite physical as said. He is a leader and will play against top opposing fowards well. he wont be easily replaced at all. Quite frankly we need more like him. Unfortunately Panthers are a soft team, and when playoffs came were exposed. He was one of few that aren't. While this kid McCann may have some upside, we dont even have room on our team right now to play his position. At best he'll be a bottom 6 foward right now, so in needs of position we lost already. Yes no offensive juggernaut but hard shot and will make safe play.

Welcome to the forums!

McCann coming aboard gives the Cats options on what to do with Purcell and Hudler, sign one, let them both walk, McCann plugs into a slot quite nicely. The one thing that I immediately thought of with McCann coming over is the concussion issues that have bothered Bjugstad may be a bigger concern than they are letting on.

Gudbranson can play, I am not questioning that, and his physicality will indeed be missed but he is one dimensional, a stay at home shut down guy. Nothing more. The Cats just offered him 4 years at 18 million and he turned it down cold which sealed his fate, you just dont pay that kind of player more than that. Rather than get into a bidding war they traded him while his value is the highest for a top young center, (I really think you will grow to like McCann) a second and a fourth and cap savings to allow for flexibility. I think it was a brilliant move and Benning in Vancouver is being skewered left and right for the trade in Vancouver chat rooms, (I peaked because I was worried that I was the only one who felt that the Panthers absolutely destroyed it in this trade) for giving up so much for a stay at home defender with zero offensive ability.

Anyway, like I said, welcome aboard, bring friends, good to see a Panther fan in here. Dont be afraid to post a topic if you like, we welcome all in here!

First off,thank you for the welcome. Always good to talk to a Panthers fan. We are going to have to agree to disagree on this subject. On the deal he refused, I want to hear it from him before I even give that any consideration. Teams will say things like that to make themselves seem even more justified. We are a team that never discloses salary figures but now we do. Convenient. Anyways nothing against McCann, hope he is everything he is supposed to turn out to be but don't think he's what we need right now, at least for the price. We have players to fill what McCann does now, we don't for Guddy. On side note I'd be surprised if either Hudler or Purcell on team next yr. They were rent a players and did their jobs admirably but that's what they were. Between the kids we had up this yr and the fact that Crouse is almost certainly coming up next yr. We're good there. Here's hoping for a strong off season with our new Gm. 

I actually liked Gud from what i saw this year. I mostly watched Florida games to see Barkov, Bjugstad and Ekblad, but Gud kept catching my eye. Maybe just the games I saw, but he was a heck of a defensive Dman and crease clearer.

Mind you he is replaceable on the UFA front. That type of Dman can be had this year if they pay up. Matheson coming up means they can avoid the Yandle types, Let Campbell go unless he takes a paycut and focus on the Hamhuis, Schenn, Polak types in UFA

Mccann is a good prospect, and the picks included made it impossible to say no. Is Bjugstad in dire straits? Or are they moving him to wing? Trocheck and Barkov were doing remarkably well even when Bjugstad was out.

I suppose they can carry 5 C's in their top 6 like the Sharks do(Thornton/Pavelski/Hertl/Marleau/Couture)

3 hours ago, ezlot76 said:

First off,thank you for the welcome. Always good to talk to a Panthers fan. We are going to have to agree to disagree on this subject. On the deal he refused, I want to hear it from him before I even give that any consideration. Teams will say things like that to make themselves seem even more justified. We are a team that never discloses salary figures but now we do. Convenient. Anyways nothing against McCann, hope he is everything he is supposed to turn out to be but don't think he's what we need right now, at least for the price. We have players to fill what McCann does now, we don't for Guddy. On side note I'd be surprised if either Hudler or Purcell on team next yr. They were rent a players and did their jobs admirably but that's what they were. Between the kids we had up this yr and the fact that Crouse is almost certainly coming up next yr. We're good there. Here's hoping for a strong off season with our new Gm. 

Yave is not a panthers fan, but virtually discusses every team from what I have seen. The no longer lone panthers fan on this site would be me :D.

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I actually liked Gud from what i saw this year. I mostly watched Florida games to see Barkov, Bjugstad and Ekblad, but Gud kept catching my eye. Maybe just the games I saw, but he was a heck of a defensive Dman and crease clearer.

Mind you he is replaceable on the UFA front. That type of Dman can be had this year if they pay up. Matheson coming up means they can avoid the Yandle types, Let Campbell go unless he takes a paycut and focus on the Hamhuis, Schenn, Polak types in UFA

Mccann is a good prospect, and the picks included made it impossible to say no. Is Bjugstad in dire straits? Or are they moving him to wing? Trocheck and Barkov were doing remarkably well even when Bjugstad was out.

I suppose they can carry 5 C's in their top 6 like the Sharks do(Thornton/Pavelski/Hertl/Marleau/Couture)

Completely agree. This trade is lost on both teams.

Archived