2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks

pilldoc

2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks  

27 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks

• Penguins in 4 (sweep)
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7
    • Sharks in 4 (sweep)
    • Sharks in 5
    • Sharks in 6
    • Sharks in 7

Just now, sarsippius said:

You are banned from posting the rest of the evening !

Geez, hard not to feel bad for Joe (both of them...lol). To wait SO damn long to make the finals and come out flat. You know how it goes, the first trip to the finals is *usually* a learning experience, then you are armed with the knowledge of just what it takes to win in all. We saw it with the Islanders last cup and the Oilers first trip to the finals, they learned from the Isles what it takes....lot's of examples....but I had thought that maybe, just maybe San Jose has had so much playoff experience that it might not apply....wrong.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Polaris922 said:

@jammer2

Thanks bud!  We're excited about what we're seeing.  One more game to go.  

I I agree on Rutherford.  I absolutely lambasted him as a GM in our GM bracket a couple years ago.  I was SO upset when he was hired on. And then he steadily earned my respect. The majority of the moves he's made I've been very happy with. All but the Lovejoy/Depres trade (which I still despise).  

Gotta hand it to Rutherford.  He's earned the way to the doorstep of the Cup.  

HA....I remember us both blasting Jimmy many times in a few different threads. When you make 7 or 8 positive moves against one bad one, throw in Crosby, Malkin, Letang and co...and you are left with about 1.5 million screaming fans that can't get into the Igloo2.

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Geez, hard not to feel bad for Joe (both of them...lol). To wait SO damn long to make the finals and come out flat. You know how it goes, the first trip to the finals is *usually* a learning experience, then you are armed with the knowledge of just what it takes to win in all. We saw it with the Islanders last cup and the Oilers first trip to the finals, they learned from the Isles what it takes....lot's of examples....but I had thought that maybe, just maybe San Jose has had so much playoff experience that it might not apply....wrong.

Agreed.....I can hate the Pens but be happy for the Pens group here. But definitely feel the pain for the Joes.  Reminds me of that sick feeling I had in 97 against the Wings, that long wait and just nothing in the Final

Agreed.....I can hate the Pens but be happy for the Pens group here. But definitely feel the pain for the Joes.  Reminds me of that sick feeling I had in 97 against the Wings, that long wait and just nothing in the Final

Good GOD....I still SEETHE from that no show by Lindros and company. Still disgusted by the Nystrom goal...that will haunt me forever....still sickened by the Kurri goal....still scarred by the Leaky Leighton goal....so much pain......we can certainly relate, huh? That's not even counting being up 3-1 on the Devils and Lindros curled up in a ball....or the Primeau run ruined by insufficient defensive depth....WTF....

18 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Good GOD....I still SEETHE from that no show by Lindros and company. Still disgusted by the Nystrom goal...that will haunt me forever....still sickened by the Kurri goal....still scarred by the Leaky Leighton goal....so much pain......we can certainly relate, huh? That's not even counting being up 3-1 on the Devils and Lindros curled up in a ball....or the Primeau run ruined by insufficient defensive depth....WTF....

Like I tell my kids. all that pain is gonna make it that much sweeter when the day finally comes.....Christ I'd chop off a pinky to taste that victory! I mean it would have to be in the emergency room parking lot, but yeah 

Like I tell my kids. all that pain is gonna make it that much sweeter when the day finally comes.....Christ I'd chop off a pinky to taste that victory! I mean it would have to be in the emergency room parking lot, but yeah 

Hilarious....I see your pinkie and raise you a big Toe.  Yeah, that's right, I'd be willing to be unbalanced for life for just ONE MORE cup victory. If it guaranteed victory, I'd even do it by garden sheers....just  as long as I don't have to do it to myself...I mean, you wanna at least be able to close your eyes....ha ha.

55 minutes ago, ScottM said:

Is anyone else as utterly shocked by five goals in the first period as I a?

Unfortunately soft goaltending by Murray. A few posts, and Jones playing lights out. Can he keep it up if the Pens keep that pressure on?  I doubt it but it's a HUGE game for them so you never know.., 

1 minute ago, Polaris922 said:

Unfortunately soft goaltending by Murray. A few posts, and Jones playing lights out. Can he keep it up if the Pens keep that pressure on?  I doubt it but it's a HUGE game for them so you never know.., 

Good ol' Ron and Don were breaking out all the cliche's in the pre-game but they were right....Sharks have nothing to lose....Pens have all the pressure on them...

Having Martin Jones stand on his head in a game *this* important bodes well for the Sharks. He's only 25, signed for 2 more years after this one and is just soaking in exactly what it takes to win. 2 more years at 3 mill a year....what a STEAL for the Sharks. I think it's fair to say, we have not seen the very best Martin Jones yet. I still think it's hilarious that the Kings purposely trade him to the Eastern Conference so Jones would not come back and bite them in the butt....and within days he's a friggin Shark. I can only imagine the smug smile on Wilson's face when that **** hit the fan!! 

How much you wanna bet that Jones *never* hits the UFA market when his contract is up? 

Great game to watch tonight.  Jones really is the story of the night, he stood on his head and Murray had an meh first period.  Too bad Hocky Junkie bet on the Pens tonight, the absolute kiss of death. 

6 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Too bad Hocky Junkie bet on the Pens tonight, the absolute kiss of death. 

I had no idea, had I known....I would not have been sitting on the edge of my seat....for Sharks victory was well at hand. ha ha.

26 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Great game to watch tonight.  Jones really is the story of the night, he stood on his head and Murray had an meh first period.  Too bad Hocky Junkie bet on the Pens tonight, the absolute kiss of death. 

Do I dare say...Is it Fleury time for you guys? Suddenly Murray has been very ordinary.

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

It's entirely possible that in today's game, had Stevens hit Lindros like that, he would've been suspended for one game by the DOPS and the Flyers would have won that series. Yeah, that one hurt because I was pretty sure at that point that the team was toast.

15 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

It's entirely possible that in today's game, had Stevens hit Lindros like that, he would've been suspended for one game by the DOPS and the Flyers would have won that series. Yeah, that one hurt because I was pretty sure at that point that the team was toast.

I'm pretty sure that hit happened in Game #7 of the Conference Finals....the 3rd loss in a row for the Flyers but the first game back for Eric. I honestly believe that we would have beat the Dallas Stars in the Stanley Cup Finals that year....so, essentially...Eric's inability to stop looking down at his feet altered the Flyers forever, or at least that is my theory. Lot's of variables but I really saw it playing out that way. The Flyers were SO deflated looking at Eric's lifeless corpse at the blueline...I swear the moment Scott made contact that series was lost.

EDIT....I had forgotten, but Scott was not even penalized for that hit. At the time, it was within the rules. Of course, today, it would have been targeting the head and a suspension...but in 2000, if the puck was at your feet and you are staring...there was no real limit as long as the stick, elbow or taking flight were not involved.

I still say, if Eric was playing late, Elias would not have had the chance at that goal late in the 3rd to make it 2-1...we would have had the puck in the other end....maybe a bit of a pipedream of Boucher beating Brodeur in game 7 OT....but ya never know!

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?O20000317

Oh yeah, you're right. It was Game 7. Amazing how that was 16 years ago. So, let me correct myself...if Eric would've skated with his head up, OR Stevens would've been kicked out of the game and the Flyers given a 5 minute power play...they probably would have punched their ticket to the finals. Maybe the league would not be as tolerant of that now.

11 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Oh yeah, you're right. It was Game 7. Amazing how that was 16 years ago. So, let me correct myself...if Eric would've skated with his head up, OR Stevens would've been kicked out of the game and the Flyers given a 5 minute power play...they probably would have punched their ticket to the finals. Maybe the league would not be as tolerant of that now.

Flyers had a stacked team in 2000....Lindros, Recchi, LeClair, Primeau, Gagne, Jones, Langkow....they had the stars and the secondary scoring...even Zelepukin was ok...and we had Jody Hull (ok...I just went to far...ha ha)....but once again....the Flyers(Clarke) had cheaped out in net....and Breezer on the bench...and the BUM Boucher in net....WTF...

the advanced stats for that game 7....depressing.

Sorry about rambling on about the Flyers in the finals thread.....we have no right to be mentioned in this thread.....lol (but at least we were discussing past finals and CF's.)

13 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Flyers had a stacked team in 2000....Lindros, Recchi, LeClair, Primeau, Gagne, Jones, Langkow....they had the stars and the secondary scoring...even Zelepukin was ok...and we had Jody Hull (ok...I just went to far...ha ha)....but once again....the Flyers(Clarke) had cheaped out in net....and Breezer on the bench...and the BUM Boucher in net....WTF...

Sorry about rambling on about the Flyers in the finals thread.....we have no right to be mentioned in this thread.....lol (but at least we were discussing past finals and CF's.)

Hey...it's not our fault the finals didn't end tonight.:5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

17 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Beezer was the real BUM, imo..not Boucher. 

Wouldn't have mattered.  The Marleau hit on Rust proves they don't want to suspend players from the SCF.  

Anyway... Jones stole the show.  Murray let up a softie.  I honestly think that without Jones' play this series was a sweep.  He's stolen two games now when Murray has been rather average in those same games.   On to game 6...  Murray always bounces back well!  

This series feels eerily similar to DeBoer's first trip to the Cup Final. That series the Kings pretty much dominated the Devils like the Pens have the Sharks, but were able to sneak out a couple of wins. In fact, the Devils forced a Game 6 after winning a Game 5 they were outplayed in 4 years ago to the day that San Jose just did. Hopefully this Game 6 doesn't end how that one did.

@jammer2

No worries.  It's not your fault the Pens lost either.  It's my wife's fault.  She wanted to watch the game with me.  First time....like...ever.  It was 2-0 Sharks before she got the kids to bed.  She sits down to watch and BANG! 2-2.  She gets bored and goes to bed.  3-2.  The rest is history.  She will watch Game 6 even if I have to tie her up (again). :CelebratingSmiley:

Two words: sphincter shrinkage.  I don't care how they lost last night.  The point is, they did.  Now it's back to San Jose where that building will be insane. Now the Sharks really believe they can win this thing.  If they win Game 6 they have all the momentum coming back to Pittsburgh while the Pens will absolutely have a severe case of sphincter shrinkage.

If the Pens don't figure out a way to win this in San Jose, they are not winning a Game 7 regardless of where it's played.

27 minutes ago, B21 said:

@jammer2

No worries.  It's not your fault the Pens lost either.  It's my wife's fault.   It's Hockey Junkie's fault, he bet the Pens

Don't blame your wife B21, like we have said before in a few previous threads HJ is this forums version of Mush from A Bronx Tale! 

bm0jijbcmaagt-4-large.jpg

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Don't blame your wife B21, like we have said before in a few previous threads HJ is this forums version of Mush from A Bronx Tale! 

bm0jijbcmaagt-4-large.jpg

Rick belongs in the bathroom with Mush and Coffee Cake. There's room. 

Archived