LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2016-2017

pilldoc

7 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

After our game last night we were talking Flyers (most guys are Leaf fans)

. Myers name came up from the WJ exhibition games, and guys were actually saying along with Ghost and Provorov, that that D is going to be good. Of course I brought up Sanheim/Morin/Hagg/Friedman. 

So then the talk of trade comes up..Leafs need Dmen, Philly could use a forward...what about a Kadri for Sanheim deal? I said "Kadri?...you want Sanheim, think Mitch Marner". They all thought I was nuts. There's no way you're getting Marner for Sanheim. I told them to find their own defencemen then..if you want one, you're not getting an even skilled winger, you're overpaying. Dmen are worth gold.

Leafs fans also think they're getting Provorov/Gostisbhere + for JVR

You can't talk trade with most Leafs fans because they believe their prospects are all the second coming 

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Easy: by trading them for help up front (which will most likely need to happen if most of those Defense prospects develop how we hope they do)

Well we have to wait to see how the forward crop turn out 1st.

On 12/23/2016 at 9:18 AM, elmatus said:

To be fair, I'm not sure any of those will figure in the top six at the NHL level. Rubtsov might be the exception. The others I expect will be limited to the bottom six (which is certainly fine!)

Aside from Rubtsov and possibly still Laughton, our prospect pool still seem fairly weak on real top level forwards. Hopefully this can be addressed over the next couple of drafts.

If it wasn't for the fact our current core is generally above average (G, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn), we'd be having a hell of a time trying to win games. Of course, we only drafted one of those guys...

I haven't forgotten TK either. He's going to be a stud. He's also going to be everyone's favourite Flyer in 2-3 years. Bank it.

I really believe Laberge has top six potential. He was coming along very similar to how Simon Gagne was coming along at the same age. If it weren't for that vicious hit and concussion Laberge suffered, I think he'd be on par with Gagne. Right now, he's about a half season behind in his development. I'm hopeful that Laberge becomes a high end left wing prospect with speed to burn and a defensive game that's second to none. He, Allison and Lindblom give me hope that Konecny will eventually be moved back to his rightful position on the right side.

As for centers, people are forgetting that Vorobyev/Vorobiov/however it's spelled, is also developing quite nicely in Russia. He's found that extra step in his skating and seems to be getting decent ice time in the KHL.I know people prefer that our Russian prospects come to North America to develop, but the Russian kids are learning good fundamentals in Russia with regards to defensive play, special teams and 5 on 5 play. Leave them there and when they're ready to come over, you've got a complete player already to go.

I know that Rubtsov is in a different position than Vorobyev because from I've read, his team has financial issues and the agreement between the VHL/MHL teams and his KHL team seems to be problematic with a major lack of communication. Maybe it's best he go elsewhere to play. I'd love to see his KHL team release him so he can go to Rimouski and play. Let him get a boat load of ice time in, work on his faceoff drawing skills (where he's pretty lacking) and let him have some fun again.

I read a fantastic article about Aube-Kubel and as much as people hate Scott Gordon, Gordon's doing a great job handling Aube-Kubel. Everyone knows the kid has serious offensive skills. However, his defensive game and positioning requires a lot of work. That's what Gordon's got him focusing on right now. He's going to be a better two way player as a result of how his development is going. People seem to think that if a player isn't putting up big numbers, they aren't worth a top six spot. Some times, said player needs to focus on a weakness in his game and get it up to par before he can start producing. Such is the case with Kubel. He's going to get rewarded, but right now, he needs to get his defensive game in gear. The good news is that he's playing along side Corbin Knight and Radel Fazleev, two exceptionally good defensive players. They'll get him up to speed and what to look for and how to react.

I'm of the belief that the Flyers do have some high end forward prospects. They aren't 'sexy' picks or anything like that, but they're a very good group with no big names. I think that's what's throwing people off. If Hextall drafts more forwards this year (I'm thinking that Owen Tippett will be the big right winger Hextall wants), then that's gravy.

35 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I really believe Laberge has top six potential. He was coming along very similar to how Simon Gagne was coming along at the same age. If it weren't for that vicious hit and concussion Laberge suffered, I think he'd be on par with Gagne. Right now, he's about a half season behind in his development. I'm hopeful that Laberge becomes a high end left wing prospect with speed to burn and a defensive game that's second to none. He, Allison and Lindblom give me hope that Konecny will eventually be moved back to his rightful position on the right side.

I agree completely on Laberge...highly skilled who really seemed to be putting it together when some idiot tries to kill him out there. Looks like he's rebounded alright, but it's definitely set him back a step.

As for centers, people are forgetting that Vorobyev/Vorobiov/however it's spelled, is also developing quite nicely in Russia. He's found that extra step in his skating and seems to be getting decent ice time in the KHL.I know people prefer that our Russian prospects come to North America to develop, but the Russian kids are learning good fundamentals in Russia with regards to defensive play, special teams and 5 on 5 play. Leave them there and when they're ready to come over, you've got a complete player already to go.

Can't say I know much about him, but I'll trust your word on it.

I don't have so much a problem with Russians developing in Russia as I do with the way Rubtsov was being handled at the beginning of the season. 

I know that Rubtsov is in a different position than Vorobyev because from I've read, his team has financial issues and the agreement between the VHL/MHL teams and his KHL team seems to be problematic with a major lack of communication. Maybe it's best he go elsewhere to play. I'd love to see his KHL team release him so he can go to Rimouski and play. Let him get a boat load of ice time in, work on his faceoff drawing skills (where he's pretty lacking) and let him have some fun again.

He's got 15 points in 15 games in the MHL and zero points in the K. I think his confidence has been pretty messed up by the way they've used him there. I think he's better off in Chicoutimi. 

I read a fantastic article about Aube-Kubel and as much as people hate Scott Gordon, Gordon's doing a great job handling Aube-Kubel. Everyone knows the kid has serious offensive skills. However, his defensive game and positioning requires a lot of work. That's what Gordon's got him focusing on right now. He's going to be a better two way player as a result of how his development is going. People seem to think that if a player isn't putting up big numbers, they aren't worth a top six spot. Some times, said player needs to focus on a weakness in his game and get it up to par before he can start producing. Such is the case with Kubel. He's going to get rewarded, but right now, he needs to get his defensive game in gear. The good news is that he's playing along side Corbin Knight and Radel Fazleev, two exceptionally good defensive players. They'll get him up to speed and what to look for and how to react.

I'm of the belief that the Flyers do have some high end forward prospects. They aren't 'sexy' picks or anything like that, but they're a very good group with no big names. I think that's what's throwing people off. If Hextall drafts more forwards this year (I'm thinking that Owen Tippett will be the big right winger Hextall wants), then that's gravy.

Think Tippett might be gone by the time Philly picks, but agree on the rest you said here.

22 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Bernhardt makes team Sweden. I believe the Flyers' nine prospects ties a WJC record.

Wow. That is some good scouting there.

It would take Homer 9 drafts to get 9 prospects like that.

The Flyers have some real nice prospects in the tournament. I watched Russia and Canada and Vorobyov looks like he's going to be a fantastic checking centre. Rubtsov is looking like he's going to be a winger in the pros. Meyers impressed me more and more as the game went on.  I'd say he and Juulsen are the teams best defenders and it isn't close. As for Carter Hart, I was extremely disappointed in his play. He let in two incredibly soft goals and looked rather shaky, something very odd for a goaltender who is said to be extremely calm and confident. Honestly, he needs to step up BIG TIME when he starts next.

18 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The Flyers have some real nice prospects in the tournament. I watched Russia and Canada and Vorobyov looks like he's going to be a fantastic checking centre. Rubtsov is looking like he's going to be a winger in the pros. Meyers impressed me more and more as the game went on.  I'd say he and Juulsen are the teams best defenders and it isn't close. As for Carter Hart, I was extremely disappointed in his play. He let in two incredibly soft goals and looked rather shaky, something very odd for a goaltender who is said to be extremely calm and confident. Honestly, he needs to step up BIG TIME when he starts next.

I wasn't overly impressed with either Hart or Rubtsov.

Rubtsov had a couple of nice plays and a couple not so nice.

I won't fault Hart for that first goal where he was screened by both defencemen  The 2nd he could have had some help from his teammates instead of letting the Russian walk in and fire it. But that 3rd was just a soft bad goal.

There's still plenty of time for both to make up for it and all will be forgotten...and they're both 18 year olds who will be back next year and be the same age as most of the other players in the tournament.

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I wasn't overly impressed with either Hart or Rubtsov.

Rubtsov had a couple of nice plays and a couple not so nice.

I won't fault Hart for that first goal where he was screened by both defencemen  The 2nd he could have had some help from his teammates instead of letting the Russian walk in and fire it. But that 3rd was just a soft bad goal.

There's still plenty of time for both to make up for it and all will be forgotten...and they're both 18 year olds who will be back next year and be the same age as most of the other players in the tournament.

Hart I expected more from.  I get that Rubtsov had bounced back and forth all over the place in Russia, but Hart was supposed to be the best goaltender this country has seen since Carey Price and he did not look sharp at all. Maybe it's first game jitters, but he really seemed to struggle with confidence and tracking the puck. 

What a bummer. Bunnaman was MIA....I asked around, found a guy from Kitchener, he told me Connor got sick before they left, flu type symptoms, the Rangers left him behind, he didn't even get on the bus apparently. What a SUCKY game, Rangers seem like a good team, but Bracco gone with Team USA and Bunnaman, their 2nd leading scorer out, and we lose 2-1....wow, did not see that coming.

14 hours ago, jammer2 said:

On my way to go see Connor Bunnaman play in a few hours. He's the big 6'3 214 lb center the Flyers selected in the 4th round last summer. Plan on watching him close, will report back.....stats so far...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=177552

7 hours ago, jammer2 said:

What a bummer. Bunnaman was MIA....I asked around, found a guy from Kitchener, he told me Connor got sick before they left, flu type symptoms, the Rangers left him behind, he didn't even get on the bus apparently. What a SUCKY game, Rangers seem like a good team, but Bracco gone with Team USA and Bunnaman, their 2nd leading scorer out, and we lose 2-1....wow, did not see that coming.

@jammer2,

please provide a better update next time!!:bigteeth:

Quoting Appleyard here from HF Boards on Lindblom

Leading the SHL in points after 30 games.

9g, 19a, 28p, +16.

Also leads league in EV points (21), and all forwards in +/-.

Just playing ridiculously good hockey.

Sounds like he's really developing into another quality pick by Hextall & co.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/1/6/14190586/german-rubtsov-transfer-flyers-qmjhl-russia-chicoutimi

This is great for Rubtsov!!! He'll play in Chicoutim for the rest of this season and probably next. He'll get a ton of ice time and he'll be able to refine his skills, especially on face offs. I had no problem with the MHL or VHL, but now that he's going to be in one place and no bouncing around between places, this should be great for his development. Hopefully we see the second coming of Datsyuk develop before our eyes (another player that when he was drafted, it was said that Datsyuk was good in all facets of the game, but nothing great stood out - we all know what kind of player Datsyuk became).

12 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2017/1/6/14190586/german-rubtsov-transfer-flyers-qmjhl-russia-chicoutimi

This is great for Rubtsov!!! He'll play in Chicoutim for the rest of this season and probably next. He'll get a ton of ice time and he'll be able to refine his skills, especially on face offs. I had no problem with the MHL or VHL, but now that he's going to be in one place and no bouncing around between places, this should be great for his development. Hopefully we see the second coming of Datsyuk develop before our eyes (another player that when he was drafted, it was said that Datsyuk was good in all facets of the game, but nothing great stood out - we all know what kind of player Datsyuk became).

Glad to see him going to ONE team so he can focus on his all around development. The yoyo treatment he got in Russia was ridiculous. And some people want juniors to be shuffled to the A. Rubtsov has stagnated for half a season.

I'm not a big fan of labelling 18 year olds with hall of famers but he does have the 200 foot game...how well that evolves is up to him.

It's going to be a bit tough for a guy who doesn't speak any English to live in Chicoutimi...cause he's going to have to learn French (and English, but french first). Hopefully it all comes together for him.

Funny story a buddy of mine (who is a Bruins fan from Boston and very knowledgeable although sometimes Boston biased) who lives up the street in my neighborhood said to me yesterday...

him-Looks like the Flyers are going to have some hard decisions to make in the future

me-yeah whys that?

him-i was watching the junior hockey tournament and noticed you guys have two of the top goalies in the tourney.

me- so why is that a problem?

him- well the crease isn't big enough to hold a young Price AND Lundqvist...

Carter Hart and Felix Sandstrom provide a bright future in the crease for the Flyers

me- oh yeah well we'll see when we get there (smiling a big cheesy grin)

Man it just felt good that other team's fan take notice of that stuff. And myself it's hard to envision them being that lucky.

I hope he is right by how they will turn out...and i agree it could be a hard decision when and IF it arrives...but we'll see a long way to go to fill those shoes... 

15 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Funny story a buddy of mine (who is a Bruins fan from Boston and very knowledgeable although sometimes Boston biased) who lives up the street in my neighborhood said to me yesterday...

him-Looks like the Flyers are going to have some hard decisions to make in the future

me-yeah whys that?

him-i was watching the junior hockey tournament and noticed you guys have two of the top goalies in the tourney.

me- so why is that a problem?

him- well the crease isn't big enough to hold a young Price AND Lundqvist...

Carter Hart and Felix Sandstrom provide a bright future in the crease for the Flyers

me- oh yeah well we'll see when we get there (smiling a big cheesy grin)

Man it just felt good that other team's fan take notice of that stuff. And myself it's hard to envision them being that lucky.

I hope he is right by how they will turn out...and i agree it could be a hard decision when and IF it arrives...but we'll see a long way to go to fill those shoes... 

You should have told him that those two might be one of the backups, especially when Matej Tomek was probably the best of the Flyers goalie prospects at the tournament. We might have potentially the greatest Slovakian goaltending prospect ever to grace the NHL.

49 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

You should have told him that those two might be one of the backups, especially when Matej Tomek was probably the best of the Flyers goalie prospects at the tournament. We might have potentially the greatest Slovakian goaltending prospect ever to grace the NHL.

Well i couldn't comment on the tourney because i didn't get to watch it.

And i haven't seen Tomek play yet so i have no idea how good he'll be.

I wonder who owns his rights in junior maybe he should just go that route so he can play. 

He'll compete for the job next year in ND.

Archived