LV Phantoms and other Flyers Prospect discussions 2016-2017

pilldoc

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This kid is going to be a steal when he is done with college.

ROOKIE OF THE WEEK

Wade_Allison_small.jpg

Wade Allison, Western Michigan
Freshman Forward
Myrtle, Manitoba

Allison had a huge four-point weekend, keying WMU to a 1-0-1 weekend against then No. 20 Bowling Green. In Friday’s 4-4 overtime tie, he netted two goals, scoring WMU’s first tally and adding the game-tying goal at 10:54 in the third period. The Philadelphia Flyers draft pick also scored the goal in the exhibition 3-on-3 overtime Friday night as he was named the game’s first star. In Saturday’s 8-2 win he dished out two assists, helping set up the game-winning goal, as well as WMU’s sixth goal of the game. All four of Allison’s points came on the power play, which went 9-for-22 in the two games, while it was his first collegiate multi-goal and multi-assist games. He put four shots on goal in the series. 

So far after two pre-season and the first two regular season games it looks to me like Travis Sanheim is a far better bet to make the NHL than Sam Morin.  Sanheim is a fluid skater and adept puck handler who isn't afraid to gamble once in awhile.  He isn't much of a hitter but neither is Big Sam.  Morin still looks confused half the time.  He did throw one decent hit last night but he isn't the big bruiser he was initially advertised to be.

Fazleev is also impressive despite not having scored yet.  He has done a pretty decent job defensively playing on the 3rd or 4th lines.

43 minutes ago, Poconono said:

So far after two pre-season and the first two regular season games it looks to me like Travis Sanheim is a far better bet to make the NHL than Sam Morin.  Sanheim is a fluid skater and adept puck handler who isn't afraid to gamble once in awhile.  He isn't much of a hitter but neither is Big Sam.  Morin still looks confused half the time.  He did throw one decent hit last night but he isn't the big bruiser he was initially advertised to be.

Fazleev is also impressive despite not having scored yet.  He has done a pretty decent job defensively playing on the 3rd or 4th lines.

Sanheim is a far more skilled player than Morin. He will stand out much more because of his skating and puckhandling. Morin is going to be a stay at home guy. Fortunately, BOTH are Flyer prospects.

4 hours ago, Samifan said:

Flyerdelphia‏ @Flyerdelphia

Jordan Weal, T.J. Brennan pick up three points each in #Phantoms rout of Hartford: (link: http://bit.ly/2dQnEi8) bit.ly/2dQnEi8

Nice.

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/video/hartford-wolf-pack-vs-lehigh-valley-phantoms/15956

A good video of the game.

On 10/29/2016 at 5:24 PM, OccamsRazor said:

My i guess Straka is an afterthought now. At his age i guess he'll be joining Akeson in the Swiss league soon...

I personally thought that Straka deserved a call up last season when we were struggling to score goals. He was the leading goal scorer in the AHL at that point. I guess Hextall just doesn't like the kid

23 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

I personally thought that Straka deserved a call up last season when we were struggling to score goals. He was the leading goal scorer in the AHL at that point. I guess Hextall just doesn't like the kid

Gordon must not like him either.

The word was he wasn't good in both ends.

In Hak's system you have to play a 200 foot game. So i guess it is the issue but to not get playing time on the Phantoms is a head scratcher.

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Gordon must not like him either.

The word was he wasn't good in both ends.

In Hak's system you have to play a 200 foot game. So i guess it is the issue but to not get playing time on the Phantoms is a head scratcher.

Some times players need to get to the NHL to "get it." I'm not saying that Straka would have instantly turned into a two-way forward, but he could have been able to work on his defensive game if he got called up. Best to just learn it as you go, like we are doing with Provorov and Konecny. Hitchcock did it with Gagne. More recently, it happened with Bourdon. He was struggling in the A when everyone thought he should be taking the next step in the NHL at that point. Injuries happened and we were forced to recall him and he rose to the occasion. It's too bad his career was cut short because it was looking like he was going to turn into a solid bottom pairing defenseman 

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm hopeful that Stolarz gets a call up and gets into a few games. I was looking up Stolarz' numbers and his career so far is on par with that of Ben Bishop. It's kind of eerie to be honest. However, Aaron Palushaj said last season that Stolarz really reminds him of Ben Bishop and that it's only a matter of time before Stolarz puts it all together. I'm rooting for the guy. I want to see him make it and be an elite netminder at the next level.

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Is it time to send Alex Lyon to the ECHL? I think he might be better suited to get his game back there and then when he's ready, return him to Lehigh Valley. 

I think it's a little early for that. From what i understand in one of the games he played in the team looked like crap in.

Archived