Trouba - Offer Sheet and Trade Rumours

Podein25

1 hour ago, no1sjsharksfan said:

I get your point. The defense is much better than it has been, and would be greatly improved with Trouba. Don't think it would put them in the top five defenses in the NHL, but they are doing a good job of getting better.

Oh hell no, they're definitely not that improved.   lol

Would be great, but is definitely not the case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/30/2016 at 11:02 AM, Podein25 said:

But the more important factor is this: does Trouba want to stay a Jet? It's not clear. At all. He is reportedly seeking a massive contract that is out of line with his comparable group (Maatta, Seth Jones etc). And he seems lukewarm about wanting to stay in Winnipeg.

What a surprise. Another player that wants out of Winnipeg. This is why the Jets can never ice a competitive hockey team. :(

Let's face it, we all know how this is going to pan out:

The Jets will trade Trouba for way less than fair market value (just to get rid of the malcontent) and he'll blossom into a star and win a Stanley Cup elsewhere. That's what always happens. The Jets don't have the stones to actually stand their ground and teach this kid a lesson. Players always get what they want. I'd love to be proven wrong on this one, but the Jets won't see it through. They'll cave. 

2 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

we all know how this is going to pan out:

The Jets will trade Trouba for way less than fair market value (just to get rid of the malcontent)

2 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The Jets don't have the stones to actually stand their ground and teach this kid a lesson

I'm not so sure, if only because they can't allow your first quote above to become prophecy. The Jets seem content to go with the youth movement, comfortable I guess that their fans will continue to be patient. So, from that perspective, there's no hurry to move Trouba, especially with Morrisey playing well on the left side with Buff.

5 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm not so sure, if only because they can't allow your first quote above to become prophecy. The Jets seem content to go with the youth movement, comfortable I guess that their fans will continue to be patient. So, from that perspective, there's no hurry to move Trouba, especially with Morrisey playing well on the left side with Buff.

I agree. No hurry yet. Trouble is, the team almost always changes its tune as the season goes along. Injuries will pile up. Losing streaks will start to creep in. It will become a major distraction for the club. Then the media will start in with their "If he will be happier elsewhere, why not trade him?" stories, etc. Pressure will mount on the Jets to do something. That's when the "settle for less" trade usually happens. 

:hocky:

We shall see.  :unsure[1]:

Just now, WordsOfWisdom said:

I agree. No hurry yet. Trouble is, the team almost always changes its tune as the season goes along. Injuries will pile up. Losing streaks will start to creep in. It will become a major distraction for the club. Then the media will start in with their "If he will be happier elsewhere, why not trade him?" stories, etc. Pressure will mount on the Jets to do something. That's when the "settle for less" trade usually happens. 

:hocky:

We shall see.  :unsure[1]:

We shall. I'm not so sure you're read of the Wpg fans or the Wpg media is accurate. But what do I know? 

1 minute ago, Podein25 said:

We shall. I'm not so sure you're read of the Wpg fans or the Wpg media is accurate. But what do I know? 

Probably not. :)

I can only go based off of how these types of situations usually resolve themselves elsewhere. Malcontent players almost always get their trade demands met, and the player usually does better after the trade than the team does.  

You know lots!  :5726b5fcd63d1_smileyandcomputer:

6 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I can only go based off of how these types of situations usually resolve themselves elsewhere. Malcontent players almost always get their trade demands met

Well, there's probably no doubting that as a a general rule. Eventually. In the case of Wpg right now, I don't see the pressure coming from the media or the fans to trade Trouba, certainly not for nothing. See above pic from JR for evidence of the prevailing mood. I guess that could change if they are sucking, but I think Jets fans would be happy to see him sit. 

From what I've read, Trouba doesn't necessarily want out of Winnipeg because it's Winnipeg. He wants out because he wants to play RD, and they're set there.

And the clock is ticking. They only have a little under a month and a half until December 1st. If he's not under contract by then, he has to sit out the whole year. While they could trade him after that, who's going to give up assets for a guy they can't use this year?

23 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

From what I've read, Trouba doesn't necessarily want out of Winnipeg because it's Winnipeg. He wants out because he wants to play RD, and they're set there.

I know he and his agent have said this, but I for one don't believe it. Not for one second.

3 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I know he and his agent have said this, but I for one don't believe it. Not for one second.

In my experience,when a player says "It's not about the money", it's about the money, and when he says that it's not about the city, it's about the city.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, he wants a trade. Fine... But why eliminate 6 teams from your list merely because of the country. I'm Canadian, and would have a preference to play here if possible, but would never dream of refusing to play in the United States. He's continuing to shoot himself in the foot.

I don't think anyone believes this is likely to be the Jets' year with or without Trouba. They gain absolutely nothing by letting him go for less than fair value and sinking themselves deeper in the future. If he wants to be a crybaby, let him. If he wants to shoot down fair deals and refuse to sign, let him. Let him hold out until December 1 and lose the entire season. That just means that the team has that much more money in the bank in the future and they can fill it with whatever pieces they find themselves in need of later. If I'm in the front office, I'm saying to make him pay for this.

@ScottM

Agree. Trouba is in a terrible negotiating position. The ONLY thing that saves him is a LONG string of Winnipeg losses that bring fan uproar to move him. The fans are on the side of the team right now. Winning enough games keeps them there. Only consistent losses will change that.

3 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Ok, he wants a trade. Fine... But why eliminate 6 teams from your list merely because of the country. I'm Canadian, and would have a preference to play here if possible, but would never dream of refusing to play in the United States. He's continuing to shoot himself in the foot.

This story has the ring of truth to it.

I have never thought Trouba was comfortable being in Winnipeg which, in some ways, is representative of everything Canadian (at least outside of Toronto): cold winters, friendly but boring people, unexciting nightlife. In fact, earlier in this thread I was going to say, I don't think he wants to play in Canada. I had no basis on which to say that, but it was my gut feeling. And my gut is rarely wrong.

1 hour ago, SpikeDDS said:

The ONLY thing that saves him is a LONG string of Winnipeg losses that bring fan uproar to move him. The fans are on the side of the team right now. Winning enough games keeps them there. Only consistent losses will change that.

I cannot see that happening. I just cannot. Jets fans are more likely to blame Trouba for the losses than they are to see in him a saviour. 

29 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

This story has the ring of truth to it.

I have never thought Trouba was comfortable being in Winnipeg which, in some ways, is representative of everything Canadian (at least outside of Toronto): cold winters, friendly but boring people, unexciting nightlife. In fact, earlier in this thread I was going to say, I don't think he wants to play in Canada. I had no basis on which to say that, but it was my gut feeling. And my gut is rarely wrong.

It's sort of like when Jimmy Carson demanded a trade from Edmonton. His teammates loved being princes of the city in Edmonton, but Carson didn't care for it at all, finding the city to be a bit provincial and redneck for his taste. This gave rise to his infamous (well, infamous in Edmonton, anyway) line of "these guys think this place is Paris".

Here's the silver lining, if we wish to compare the Trouba trade demand to that of Carson: when the Oilers shipped him to Michigan, the return was Petr Klima, Adam Graves, and Joe Murphy. That's the sort of robbery you don't often see in this day and age, but is representative of the fact that even if a player refuses to play in your city, he can still greatly aid the team in the form of assets from another organization.

I hope this works out well for the Jets.

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

It's sort of like when Jimmy Carson demanded a trade from Edmonton. His teammates loved being princes of the city in Edmonton, but Carson didn't care for it at all, finding the city to be a bit provincial and redneck for his taste. This gave rise to his infamous (well, infamous in Edmonton, anyway) line of "these guys think this place is Paris".

Here's the silver lining, if we wish to compare the Trouba trade demand to that of Carson: when the Oilers shipped him to Michigan, the return was Petr Klima, Adam Graves, and Joe Murphy. That's the sort of robbery you don't often see in this day and age, but is representative of the fact that even if a player refuses to play in your city, he can still greatly aid the team in the form of assets from another organization.

I hope this works out well for the Jets.

It's a good comparison. The one thing that makes me think a deal is possible is Trouba's game. I'm on record for saying he's one of the most exciting players I've seen in years, with Norris potential. Although it's only my opinion, I'm pretty sure there are some GMs who have felt that way about him at times. So they may well trade for him. Problem is, the Jets want a LH D-man of equal stature. So it's a wash for a team trying to upgrade.SO you'd look to a guy with a contract that has to be moved or something. Not sure who that is....

On 10/18/2016 at 11:14 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

What a surprise. Another player that wants out of Winnipeg. This is why the Jets can never ice a competitive hockey team. :(

Let's face it, we all know how this is going to pan out:

The Jets will trade Trouba for way less than fair market value (just to get rid of the malcontent) and he'll blossom into a star and win a Stanley Cup elsewhere. That's what always happens. The Jets don't have the stones to actually stand their ground and teach this kid a lesson. Players always get what they want. I'd love to be proven wrong on this one, but the Jets won't see it through. They'll cave.

So you're saying not much has changed since the move from Atlanta?

:ph34r:

57 minutes ago, radoran said:

So you're saying not much has changed since the move from Atlanta?

:ph34r:

When the team was in Atlanta they had no difficulty attracting elite players. (Or shouldn't have anyway.) All the key metrics were there:

• American city
  • Large city
  • Located in the sunbelt
  • No die-hard hockey fan base present. ie: Total anonymity away from the arena.
  • (Not sure what the taxes are in Georgia but probably close to 0%)

Those seem to be the only things that players care about in the NHL. They want to be paid like stars but don't want any of the star treatment or attention that comes with it. They want to play a winter game, without the winter. And what pis*es me off the most: they want to play a game with significant Canadian roots without Canada.

It would be analogous to saying: "I'd like to play Major League Baseball, but I want to play in Siberia. Don't put me on any American team, especially not the Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants, or Dodgers. Put me on a team far enough north that I can ski all year round and wear snow pants."

It's times like these where I wish a team could circumvent the rules and make this guy (Trouba) disappear forever.  ie: Blackball him from the league. Tear up his contract, and have a 30 team ban on his services. Force him to play his entire hockey career in the KHL. He'd fit right in. 

5 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

It's times like these where I wish a team could circumvent the rules and make this guy (Trouba) disappear forever.  ie: Blackball him from the league. Tear up his contract, and have a 30 team ban on his services. Force him to play his entire hockey career in the KHL. He'd fit right in. 

You realize that that is effectively what is happening right now, right?

Just now, AJgoal said:

You realize that that is effectively what is happening right now, right?

Sort of.......  but there's always some desperate, shameless, scummy, panzy, pushover, "cuck" for an NHL team that will gladly "service" Trouba's every need, want, and desire to get someone with his alleged skills in their lineup. It's like dangling money in front of a prostitute or a bag of coke in front of a drug addict. NHL teams are addicted to these whiny brats. :(

Archived