Fixing NHL Uniforms That Miss the Mark

WordsOfWisdom

Up first, the Winnipeg Jets:

The Jets logo contains dark blue, red, and silver. (Very nice.) The uniform however, contains double blue. (Fail.)

Instead of this:

Jets02.png

We do this:

Jets02new.png

Now that looks more like the Jets of old and it's true to the logo colors.

(Please excuse the total rush job photo edit, but you get the point. Could use red trim around the numbers as well.)

:)

Next up we have the Minnesota Wild:

Wild06.png

The Wild jerseys utilize the horrendous green and red color scheme that only works at Christmas (and nowhere else).

They would be much better served if they did something like this:

Wildnew.png

The red gets removed and the yellow in the logo (the sun) is emphasized. The Wild adopt green and gold, a fantastic color scheme. :)

I like Minnesota going with more of a North Stars color scheme, but I think they would need to redo their logo to make it work.

One team I think needs a lot of work is Florida. They've had some really nice logos over the years, but they put them on some absolutely hideous jerseys. Their latest look too much like soccer jerseys.

10 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Up first, the Winnipeg Jets:

The Jets logo contains dark blue, red, and silver. (Very nice.) The uniform however, contains double blue. (Fail.)

Instead of this:

Jets02.png

We do this:

Jets02new.png

Now that looks more like the Jets of old and it's true to the logo colors.

(Please excuse the total rush job photo edit, but you get the point. Could use red trim around the numbers as well.)

:)

Too much like the Blue Jackets to me.

3 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Wild06.png

The Wild jerseys utilize the horrendous green and red color scheme that only works at Christmas (and nowhere else).

Wildnew.png

The red gets removed and the yellow in the logo (the sun) is emphasized. The Wild adopt green and gold, a fantastic color scheme. :)

I must say i like the Wild's jerseys just like they are. 

work on anahiem's ...the uni's you picked are fine.   I love the mono-chromatic look of the Jets, and hate, hate, hate, green yellow and white.  vancouver's uniforms have always been a mess and how about them sabres... those unis should be tight but they are a big fail for me.

For some reason Buffalo just refuses to do the smart thing and go back to their original jerseys. They had those hideus black and white jerseys, then the Buffaslug. They seem to be starting to go back to the old ones, but they've still got that ridiculous piping.

Colorado could really use an overhaul too.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Too much like the Blue Jackets to me.

Yeah it's unfortunate that the Blue Jackets chose that same color scheme, but the Jets wore blue and red originally. The uniforms the Blue Jackets wear are almost exactly what the Jets should be wearing.  :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I must say i like the Wild's jerseys just like they are. 

The newer uniforms they have that are just green with faded yellow/off-white are nice, but I think it's an acknowledgement that they need to ditch the red. :)

29 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

For some reason Buffalo just refuses to do the smart thing and go back to their original jerseys. They had those hideus black and white jerseys, then the Buffaslug. They seem to be starting to go back to the old ones, but they've still got that ridiculous piping.

Colorado could really use an overhaul too.

Do you like the Sabres in the blue and gold or do you like the 90's Sabres in the black and red/maroon? I personally like the blue and gold. :)

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

work on anahiem's ...the uni's you picked are fine.   I love the mono-chromatic look of the Jets, and hate, hate, hate, green yellow and white.  vancouver's uniforms have always been a mess and how about them sabres... those unis should be tight but they are a big fail for me.

Oh I have a list of jerseys to be fixed!  :RightOn2: But there are also a lot of uniforms that I think look perfect the way they are. Which ones are on my **** list? Well...  (see next post)...  

Up next... the Carolina Hurricanes!

There isn't anything inherently wrong with having black and red uniforms. The colors work quite well together. (The latest uniforms are largely a Red Wings knockoff.) Trouble is, they're not true to the team name. A Hurricane is a water-based storm... so it stands to reason that a team called the Hurricanes would have blue as the primary color in their uniform. 

So we go from this:

Hurricanes11.png

To this:

Hurricanesnew.png

Is it a massive culture shock? Yes, but this is what the team should have began with. 

(I did my best to edit out the red, but you get the point.)

11 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Do you like the Sabres in the blue and gold or do you like the 90's Sabres in the black and red/maroon? I personally like the blue and gold. :)

I don't like the logo...so there's that.  I also think the gold should be a trim color and not a primary feature color when paired with that blue.  perhaps  a reversal of color scheme , gold as the primary and white with blue trim  or blue with white trim ?   sabre is such a cool word and the buffalo is a cool animal but on that logo those two "wins " lose.

11 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't like the logo...so there's that.  I also think the gold should be a trim color and not a primary feature color when paired with that blue.  perhaps  a reversal of color scheme , gold as the primary and white with blue trim  or blue with white trim ?   sabre is such a cool word and the buffalo is a cool animal but on that logo those two "wins " lose.

Hmm. Interesting. I love the Sabres current logo and uniforms. They have always been considered one of the best in the NHL. That's why they dumped the Buffaslug and went back to them. :)

33 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Hmm. Interesting. I love the Sabres current logo and uniforms. They have always been considered one of the best in the NHL. That's why they dumped the BuffaTrumpslug and went back to them. :)

Fixed.

18 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Wild06.png

Wildnew.png

I like your version of the jersey.   They're still called "Wild."

13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Up next... the Carolina Hurricanes!

There isn't anything inherently wrong with having black and red uniforms. The colors work quite well together. (The latest uniforms are largely a Red Wings knockoff.) Trouble is, they're not true to the team name. A Hurricane is a water-based storm... so it stands to reason that a team called the Hurricanes would have blue as the primary color in their uniform. 

So we go from this:

Hurricanes11.png

To this:

Hurricanesnew.png

Is it a massive culture shock? Yes, but this is what the team should have began with.    I have no problem in general with your version, but I kind of like the red/black.  Your point about water-based storm is apt, though.   I guess the red is supposed to be more fierce?   

(I did my best to edit out the red, but you get the point.)

The one with the blue base (the home jersey), is the red lines in it intentional or is that just the way the seam lines rendered when you did it?

20 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

What is wrong with the Sabres uniforms for Gods sake?  I have never heard anyone say that?   Blue and Gold with the Buffalo that represents the city of Buffalo and is an American icon is just fine.  We need all different colors in the league also  So Minnesota has green.  Green is good.  I think this is a lame ass topic

I didn't care for the red/white/black uniforms, although there was nothing inherently wrong with them.   I hadn't heard it called "Buffaslug" until this thread.  LOL.  I actually didn't think that was bad either.

But I'm glad they went back to the original logo.   And I like the current colors.

I guess, though, the logo (the Buffalo with the Sabres under it) COULD look like one of those old picture puzzles where you try to read it just on the puzzles (I say old, but I guess the current emoji things do similar).   I still like it, though.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

What is wrong with the Sabres uniforms for Gods sake?  I have never heard anyone say that?   Blue and Gold with the Buffalo that represents the city of Buffalo and is an American icon is just fine.  We need all different colors in the league also  So Minnesota has green.  Green is good.  I think this is a lame ass topic

Nothing wrong with Buffalo's old uni's...some of the newer versions I'm not too fond of. I can say the same for the new Flyers.

8 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I actually like his changes, but you make an astounding point.  I'm okay with Jets' uniform as is, though.

Thanks. It's not like the current Jets uniform is ugly or anything, it's that it doesn't match their logo. They don't have light blue in their logo. They're the Jets. Three simple colors: red, silver, and blue. Somehow, the marketing department forgot to put red in the uniform. The Jets from the 1990's looked very much like the Rangers. The uniforms were 50% red. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they decided to be the Winnipeg Blue Jays. :)

8 hours ago, ruxpin said:

The one with the blue base (the home jersey), is the red lines in it intentional or is that just the way the seam lines rendered when you did it?

I tried my best to get rid of the red. It's just time consuming to brush it all out. The red shouldn't be there. :)

19 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I am more partial to the Navy blue color scheme than I am to the royal blue color scheme.   I think the white sweater looks the best, I have always preferred the white sweater at home too, but that's for a different "lame" discussion.

The 3rd sweater's color scheme is the one i don't like, I hate the script buffalo, and i hate royal blue and gold together. The slug logo sucked big time, and the change to red, silver and black was terrible. Here's my problem iwth the logo there are two lines on the current "classic" logo that i have always hated 

https://goo.gl/images/05JNsQ

right above and below the animal. what are they doing ?  why put them there ? dumb.

do something like this, better.

https://goo.gl/images/gEDtuU

Archived