Ristolainin signs six year deal, $34 million

Buffalo Rick

To me this is the most important signing the Sabres have made in a long time.   I was scared to death that we could lose this guy.  Its really a crime the money he gets in comparison to guys in other sports.  Hockey players in general  But I guess he was OK with it and the Sabres have themselves potentially the best defenseman in Buffalo history before its all said and done.  I am relieved he is now locked in.

@Hockey Junkie

In the long run, Risto may or may not be worth what he got...perhaps more, perhaps less.

I mentioned in the shoutbox whether this was too much too soon or whether the Sabres got this one right for an up n coming defenseman who, while obviously is talented, really hasn't done a ton to warrant 5 and a half million per.......yet.

Like I said, this may be one of the BEST signings the Sabres ever made.

For the sake of team progress, it pretty much HAS to be.

In fairness, I do see a bit of Victor Hedman in Ristolainen.

Big, rangy, good skater, can play offense while not completely ignoring defense....yet still with the defensive game far from where it could be.

Hedman himself went through growing pains, and at one point, some even might have considered him a bust (or at least, not what he was hyped to be), but of course, today, he may be one of the better d-men in the league.

But the Bolts didn't quite break the bank for him until this past offseason, which of course, at this point, he has proven, he IS a top pairing guy and someone you could build around.

If the Sabres have that in Risto, then great. If not, this signing, in conjunction with a couple other questionable moves, could hamper Buffalo for quite a while.

Congrats though, on your team keeping on what could be an essential cornerstone for your team's success.

It's a good deal, IMO. Ristolainen should be worth at least that over the course of the contract. It's kind of the way of the NHL now that the young kids are getting these long deals - and at age 21, Risto will really just be entering his prime when it expires. That could mean a huge payday for him at 27.

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

@Hockey Junkie

In the long run, Risto may or may not be worth what he got...perhaps more, perhaps less.

I mentioned in the shoutbox whether this was too much too soon or whether the Sabres got this one right for an up n coming defenseman who, while obviously is talented, really hasn't done a ton to warrant 5 and a half million per.......yet.

Like I said, this may be one of the BEST signings the Sabres ever made.

For the sake of team progress, it pretty much HAS to be.

In fairness, I do see a bit of Victor Hedman in Ristolainen.

Big, rangy, good skater, can play offense while not completely ignoring defense....yet still with the defensive game far from where it could be.

Hedman himself went through growing pains, and at one point, some even might have considered him a bust (or at least, not what he was hyped to be), but of course, today, he may be one of the better d-men in the league.

But the Bolts didn't quite break the bank for him until this past offseason, which of course, at this point, he has proven, he IS a top pairing guy and someone you could build around.

If the Sabres have that in Risto, then great. If not, this signing, in conjunction with a couple other questionable moves, could hamper Buffalo for quite a while.

Congrats though, on your team keeping on what could be an essential cornerstone for your team's success.

Believe me, if we did not do this we would have lost him. He was highly wanted by other teams that would have grabbed him.  We have ourselves a great defsensemen in Risto.  He led the team in minutes last year

Just now, Hockey Junkie said:

Believe me, if we did not do this we would have lost him. He was highly wanted by other teams that would have grabbed him.  We have ourselves a great defsensemen in Risto.  He led the team in minutes last year

He's been available to other teams for over three months. They could have grabbed him at any time.

I understand the "was this too early?" question.

It certainly has its risks, but I actually think this is a really good signing.  It's not $7M+ or something.  I think $5.4M is  probably good value.  He probably makes more if he waits.  If Buffalo waits, @HockeyJunkie is right that the Sabres lose him...or at the very least has to pay a lot more.

He's a good one.  He was on draft day.  I'd be happy if I were a Sabres' fan (well, except for the fact that I'd be a Sabres' fan).

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

He's been available to other teams for over three months. They could have grabbed him at any time.

I missed that part.  Was he an RFA?   Hmm...I wonder why no one tried to offer sheet him.   well, other than that Holmgren isn't a GM anymore.

5 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

For a price that Buffalo had the right to match.  The Flyers would have grabbed him in a minute.  Your own members admitted as much to me in the past.   He has certainly done nothing to prove he is not worth it.  He will be a top 3 defenseman in this league 

Just now, AJgoal said:

Yes. He's been without a contract, a la Kucherov. Lindholm is RFA too (Ducks).

I don't know why I missed that, but yeah.   Detroit really needs D.  Odd they didn't try there.   You really don't see a lot of that, though, from people not named Paul.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't know why I missed that, but yeah.   Detroit really needs D.  Odd they didn't try there.   You really don't see a lot of that, though, from people not named Paul.

I'm actually kind of surprised that Edmonton didn't. They need a righty for their second pair, and have enough of a playoff shot that giving up a 1,2, and 3 is probably something they could afford to jump-start their growth on D.

25 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I'm actually kind of surprised that Edmonton didn't. They need a righty for their second pair, and have enough of a playoff shot that giving up a 1,2, and 3 is probably something they could afford to jump-start their growth on D.

It's done so rarely, that I'm surprised when it happens, not when it doesn't. Ristolainen would tick some of Edmonton's boxes very nicely, but to make it happen, you have to pay way over market value as well as give up the picks. I can't think that with Dr. Drai coming off his ELC after this year, and McDavid coming off his in two, that this is something ChiaPete considered very seriously.

They'll have to back the truck up for McDavid, and I don't see how they could do that AND pay what it would surely cost to make Buffalo take the picks.

Just now, JR Ewing said:

It's done so rarely, that I'm surprised when it happens, not when it doesn't. Ristolainen would tick some of Edmonton's boxes very nicely, but to make it happen, you have to pay way over market value as well as give up the picks. I can't think that with Dr. Drai coming off his ELC after this year, and McDavid coming off his in two, that this is something ChiaPete considered very seriously.

They'll have to back the truck up for McDavid, and I don't see how they could do that AND pay what it would surely cost to make Buffalo take the picks.

Well, they could have not signed Russell for one. Then Ference comes off next year, Fayne the year after that. Sekera's contract is moveable if more cap is needed. Should actually plenty easy to do. But the number is always the question. 7 per would have rprobably guaranteed no match, but that's too much for Ristolainen. 6ish is probably the range you'd need to fall in. I think that would end up being a fair deal, but it's more than he should get at the moment. Of course Buffalo can match, but nothing is lost in trying.

Archived