OK, I'll be that other guy

icehole

What should I be looking for with provorov?  Just so we're clear from the start, I know he is 19, I know it's only 3 games, and I'm not giving up on him or even disappointed in him yet.  I'm asking for his scouting report so I know what to judge him on.

Before camp even started, provorov was the guy with the highest "hopes" to make the team.  TK was on the bubble, but provorov was almost a lock.  Why?  He doesn't look very big or strong.  Usually if a defenseman is not big or strong, you look for a huge shot, skating, or passing skills.  These traits, to me, are something you can see at the age of 19.  Of course, a 19 year old has time to develop, but I think at 19 you should know what his skill set is.

I haven't noticed a shot on goal, a good pass, or even good skating (good example last night).

This is why I'm so hesitant to let myself get excited about any players anymore.  Provorov was a high pick.  High picks sometimes need time to grow...I'm fine with that.  But one person starts hyping it up, and before you know it people start feeding the hype without knowing anything about the player.

Another confession I have is that I was pulling for provorov (and TK) to make this team.  That's only because I've been so disappointed and bored with the team so I wanted a breath of fresh air.  I was against development in lower leagues for players that have what it takes to be in the NHL.  After three games though, maybe more time at a lower level would do him some good.  If he doesn't show much more in the next 6 games, I think you have to send him back.  TK has shown he can play.

48 minutes ago, icehole said:

What should I be looking for with provorov?  Just so we're clear from the start, I know he is 19, I know it's only 3 games, and I'm not giving up on him or even disappointed in him yet.  I'm asking for his scouting report so I know what to judge him on.

Before camp even started, provorov was the guy with the highest "hopes" to make the team.  TK was on the bubble, but provorov was almost a lock.  Why?  He doesn't look very big or strong.  Usually if a defenseman is not big or strong, you look for a huge shot, skating, or passing skills.  These traits, to me, are something you can see at the age of 19.  Of course, a 19 year old has time to develop, but I think at 19 you should know what his skill set is.

I haven't noticed a shot on goal, a good pass, or even good skating (good example last night).

This is why I'm so hesitant to let myself get excited about any players anymore.  Provorov was a high pick.  High picks sometimes need time to grow...I'm fine with that.  But one person starts hyping it up, and before you know it people start feeding the hype without knowing anything about the player.

Another confession I have is that I was pulling for provorov (and TK) to make this team.  That's only because I've been so disappointed and bored with the team so I wanted a breath of fresh air.  I was against development in lower leagues for players that have what it takes to be in the NHL.  After three games though, maybe more time at a lower level would do him some good.  If he doesn't show much more in the next 6 games, I think you have to send him back.  TK has shown he can play.

:572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall::572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall::572958dbdbdef_bonkingheadonwall:

51 minutes ago, icehole said:

proof positive you have no idea what hockey is...

I say this with no hostility.  You don't know how to watch the game.  Go look at his outlet passes...to start.  Kid makes the best outlet pass of anyone on this team not named Ghost.   He plays great angles and is not afraid to take the body.  He's 19, and can play 5v5, PK, and PP.  Unlike half the D-men on this team that are a lot more experienced.  

Last night was simple; he struggled with transition defense.  Imagine that...the NHL plays at a different speed than Canadian major junior.   It was a bad game, a horrible game for him.  It was also 1 game of 82.  Neuvy didn't help him out at all either. At some point, a goalie should make a save to bail his D man out.  Just one of those games..

But hey, keep on trolling.

@flyercanuck @murraycraven

WtF is wrong with you guys???  You tell me I know nothing about hockey by telling me I know nothing about hockey and including childish emojis.  Here's an idea, if you know so much about hockey, show your wisdom and answer the original question I posted.  By not answering, you are showing me you don't know the answer so you gang up and act like a bunch of fu$%ing clowns, purposely dismissing the question.

So do you know what his skills are or are you just like the other 75% of the fan base that heard once that provorov is a stud so they watched a few highlights and joined the bandwagon?

1 minute ago, icehole said:

WtF is wrong with you guys???  You tell me I know nothing about hockey by telling me I know nothing about hockey and including childish emojis.  Here's an idea, if you know so much about hockey, show your wisdom and answer the original question I posted.  By not answering, you are showing me you don't know the answer so you gang up and act like a bunch of fu$%ing clowns, purposely dismissing the question.

So do you know what his skills are or are you just like the other 75% of the fan base that heard once that provorov is a stud so they watched a few highlights and joined the bandwagon?

I would say FC and I are in that 25% that actually know the game.   While you are literally in the other 75%...   I am not going back and forth with you.   IMO, you are here to only troll and if that is the case have fun.   

3 minutes ago, icehole said:

Dude - all you do is argue and complain. There's nothing wrong with criticizing when it's warranted. Blaming a teenager thrust into a top paring role (after he was probably our best defencemen the previous two games) for a bad game (which is going to happen) is kind of silly don't you think? People come on here and explain things to you and you just ignore what they say and continue the negativity.

I guess you HAD to move on from Couturier though didn't you?

@icehole

I say this with no hostility.

First, if you want less hostility, learn how to write and express your thoughts a little bit better. Use paragraphs to break up large chunks of text. Connect your ideas (!) through connections of logic...

Ah, **** it, who am I kidding....

...where's the shoot myself in the head emoji?

gun-to-his-head.png

OK.  I'm out.  Wonder why Philadelphia sports fans have a reputation for being morons...they can't read or cannot interpret text in front of them.

At no point was I trolling.  At no point was I bashing provorov as a 19 year old trying to make his mark in the NHL.  I'm not in the 25% that has no clue.  I'm in a different category of people that likes to get my facts straight before I criticize or praise a player.  Most Flyers fans dont do that.  Maybe you do know more than me, but that doesn't matter.  If the flyers tell you a player is a stud, to you he is a stud.  That player is bulletproof from any questioning because in your mind he is a stud.

All I was doing was asking what I should be looking for because I stayed out of all of the hype talk...I don't know what he is known for doing well.  I'm looking at provorov as a 19 year old high pick who is supposed to be the next star defenseman for the flyers.  I haven't seen any signs of that yet.

So I think provorov is a stud, hextall is a God, flyers will go 82-0 (I don't care what their record says so far...they will be 82-0), and couturier is the selke and Hart winner.  And you guys are awesome and unbiased.

16 minutes ago, icehole said:

Oh, by the way, I did write the other day that couturier looked good and he should be a 25/60 with his new line mates.  Hmm...didn't get any comments or replies to that one.

So, after months and months of relentlessly bashing Couts it took 3 games for you to come around?  That is the issue... You are either jumping off a cliff after one game or you are acting like a sarcastic ass - "the Flyers will go 82-0!"   I read your post about Couts but know better than to believe you wont be crying about his play when he goes goalless for a few games.

I think people take issue that you seem to post things like the Couts and Proiv posts.   If you have watched any games this year Prov has been very good but he is a rookie.  He is going to make mistakes as a 19 year old player.  And if you think 19 year old should pretty much have all the tools by now that is simply not the case.   The kid's skating is incredible, very good vision and good on the boards... it is gonna take time.

Most "experts" thought this kid was ready for the NHL last year - as a d-man nonetheless.   ONE game does not make or break this kids career.  He is friggin' 19 year old kid playing in his first few pro games... to say he has not done anything good up until last night makes you look like you are trolling - or you really are just that clueless.   Simple as that...

You talk about typical "Philly fans" and yet you act like a scorned child when someone rebukes your claims.   You are THAT A-TYPICAL fan that just shouts nothing but negativity and then get your knickers in a bunch when someone disagrees...   

If you're gonna argue points, you should really get your facts straight. 

First...he CAN NOT go back to Juniors.  So you are wrong there.

Second, the Flyers never said he was going to be a "stud". Fans might have, not the Flyers as you state.  So again, you are wrong.  Just to be clear; quotes below. 

Here's what Hextall said.  "This isn’t a nine-game tryout or six-game tryout,” Hextall reiterated on Monday. “Those two kids are on this team right now. And at this point, we expect them to be here all year. They’ve done a good job. They worked hard all summer"

He also said; "If I felt like if either player wasn’t ready to be here the whole year, they wouldn’t be here right now,” Hextall said. “I would have sucked it up and played without — even though Schenner’s suspended."

Third:  I'm not sure what hockey planet you come from, but 3 games into a 19 year old's career and you sound like you expect him to already be the "next all star defenseman" for the Flyers.  Seriously?? 

Fourth--I hope you really are done and delete your account.   

Man you all are harsh.....I guess the feel good luster has worn off. Just wait till tomorrow when they don those ugly gold rags that we all "love" so much.

Provorov was thrown to the lions last night with the Blackhawks being the Blackhawks. In addition, having Streit being his defensive partner didn't help the situation, nor did Neuvirth having a bigger 5-hole than Jenna Jameson after a gangbang with 100 Peter North clones. He's going to have these games, and I anticipate that if he plays all 82, he'll have a lot of them. The good news is he is young and extremely talented. If he can keep his composure and learn from his mistakes, like over committing on the play and hesitating at times with the 1st pass, he will mature into what we all hoped he'd become. The good things that I have seen like: his speed, willingness to go in the dirty areas, take the body, ability to eat huge minutes, crisp passing and ability to cut down angles on opposing forwards has helped me forget last night. I will agree that last night was brutally bad. As in one of the worst performances that I have seen on the pro levels in many years. Again, you have to be willing to take the good with the bad to see what the finished product is going to be. Also, I think when MDZ and Gudas are back we'll see much better pairings, which should help the young man's game. 

I'd expect:

Ghost-MDZ

AMac-Provorov

Gudas-Streit

Shultz as the 7th man.

No need to panic..... yet. 

13 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

First...he CAN NOT go back to Juniors.  So you are wrong there.

If it's Ivan P we're talking about, that's not true. He's 19, so he can go back to Brandon. TK could also go back to the OHL.

Perhaps you need a drink? I know I do.

8 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I think G was telling him that team dinners were on him for the foreseeable future....In all seriousness, that is a good sign that his team has his back. I couldn't even begin to fathom the pressure that kid feels.

1 minute ago, Bertmega said:

I think G was telling him that team dinners were on him for the foreseeable future....In all seriousness, that is a good sign that his team has his back. I couldn't even begin to fathom the pressure that kid feels.

man, he must have felt terrible...   Let's see how he rebounds next game.  I am more than sure he is going to be fine... 

I think it was one of those "welcome to NHL" type games for him.

I think the reason some of us get annoyed with icehole, is because he employs the classic Troll tropes. Whether he intends to or not is another question I guess.

But it goes something like this:

- ICEHOLE: "Ok geniuses, tell me why Provorov is such hot stuff?!" 

- GENIUSES: "He's mature beyond his years, an elite skater, makes great decisions, sees the ice, blah, blah..."

-ICEHOLE: "I don't see any of that! He looks like crap! And you call yerself geniuses!!"

-GENIUSES: "In Junior hockey he...

-ICEHOLE: "Junior! LMFAO! Who cares what he did when he was 12! And you call yerself geniuses!! [insert several paragraphs of extraneous blather...]

-GENIUSES: "Are you a Troll or just stupid?"

-ICEHOLE: "Quit calling me names!"

Rinse and repeat.

Archived