Schenn

AbelMorpheus

Well, I'm probably not gonna be a huge favorite with this post but so what. Brayden Schenn blows. He sucks. He is so over rated! Honestly, I hope he scores 5 goals in the next 5 games, make that trade value high so they can get a 4th rnd pick for that pos. He provides nothing but false promises. I really want him to go away. Please give some other fan base a pipe dream. I just can't take this kid any more!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While he hasn't lived up to the Mike Richards "prime" hype when he was brought here his productivity has consistently increased.  Last year he was approaching 30 goals.  He's off to a PPG start in his first 5 games (2G, 3A) so he's pacing himself to increase career highs assuming he keeps up a similar pace and remains healthy.  I really don't understand the Schenn hate.  While he certainly has flaws to his game he is just entering the early stage of his prime and has the potential to be a 30 goal scorer, (70-80 pt producer).  That's not something that is just common in the NHL anymore.

14 minutes ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

While he hasn't lived up to the Mike Richards "prime" hype when he was brought here his productivity has consistently increased.  Last year he was approaching 30 goals.  He's off to a PPG start in his first 5 games (2G, 3A) so he's pacing himself to increase career highs assuming he keeps up a similar pace and remains healthy.  I really don't understand the Schenn hate.  While he certainly has flaws to his game he is just entering the early stage of his prime and has the potential to be a 30 goal scorer, (70-80 pt producer).  That's not something that is just common in the NHL anymore.

It’s because people are dumb. Some guy several years ago projected him to be a similar player to Mike Richards and because he is in that player people blame Schenn rather than the guy who made an incorrect assessment of his talent/style. Like I said, people are idiots.

I honestly don't know what sport you're watching because posts like these are truly confounding. If you look at Schenn's stats, since he's been here, he's consistently improved. He's only 4 games into this year and you're already ridin his back.

He's what? 26? Just entering his 'prime' and you're ready to trade him for exactly what!? He's essentially avg 20g for the last 3 years, sprinting to 26 last year at the end. It's not inconceivable for him to hit 30 this year. Who, exactly, do you suggest the Flyers get for him who will provide more scoring for his contract value!? 

12 hours ago, AbelMorpheus said:

Well, I'm probably not gonna be a huge favorite with this post but so what. Brayden Schenn blows. He sucks. He is so over rated! Honestly, I hope he scores 5 goals in the next 5 games, make that trade value high so they can get a 4th rnd pick for that pos. He provides nothing but false promises. I really want him to go away. Please give some other fan base a pipe dream. I just can't take this kid any more!

The kid had his best year as a pro last year and has five points in five games this year, after missing three. F popularity, you are just flat out wrong (to quote Superfan and Trump).

3 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

It’s because people are dumb. Some guy several years ago projected him to be a similar player to Mike Richards and because he is in that player people blame Schenn rather than the guy who made an incorrect assessment of his talent/style. Like I said, people are idiots.

Schenn's producing now.  I have no problem with him.  The overall team defense is porous and sloppy and kind of embarrassing right now. I can only hope Hakstol's on it and trying to figure out what the hell to do, but they look horrible right now.  Goal scoring is up the league over, so I'm not really sure what's going on.   

Schenn isn't quite the rallying point kind of guy Richards could be.  On the ice at least Richards really could lead by example by giving every ounce he had and making key plays (if not always key goals).  

Schenn definitely has the give it all he's got, but for whatever reason it's not in a way that inspires the rest of the team to follow and dig deeper themselves.  

But I'm fine with him as a player.  This year we could get 70 goals from Schenn and Simmonds combined and combined they cost just a little more than one of Jake or Giroux.  Nothing to complain about there.  

This whole team needs to figure out why they're giving up so many damn goals.  

15 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

The kid had his best year as a pro last year and has five points in five games this year, after missing three. F popularity, you are just flat out wrong (to quote Superfan and Trump).

I agree completely.  

except for the quoting of superfan and Trump... that could get you reported ;)

17 minutes ago, Bakanekimiwa said:

I honestly don't know what sport you're watching because posts like these are truly confounding. If you look at Schenn's stats, since he's been here, he's consistently improved. He's only 4 games into this year and you're already ridin his back.

He's what? 26? Just entering his 'prime' and you're ready to trade him for exactly what!? He's essentially avg 20g for the last 3 years, sprinting to 26 last year at the end. It's not inconceivable for him to hit 30 this year. Who, exactly, do you suggest the Flyers get for him who will provide more scoring for his contract value!? 

No one that's who.  Schenn's fine.  He's doing everything you said and he's now doing it regardless of who he's playing with.  

14 hours ago, AbelMorpheus said:

Listen, I get blasted all of the time for not having popular beliefs, but I think you're wrong on schenn.  If you're looking for someone to really dig your claws into, go with Couts...that's where it's at.  Couturier will give you material all season long to criticize.

In all honesty though, if you don't like schenn's game, that's fine, but you can't really argue with his numbers.

Even though his ppg is good we've yet to see the fluid, hard-skating BSCHENN of last year. Give him some time to get up to speed and he'll be back on the 1st or 2nd line in no time. The team isn't in sync, the goaltending has been weak to mediocre, BSchenn is the least of my worries right now.

It's really hard to argue with Schenn's numbers.   That said, he really does frustrate the heck out of me.   I can't exactly put my finger on why.   Maybe it's the idiotic comparison to Mike Richards that @fanaticV3.0 mentioned. In my case, I'm not sure that's it because I wasn't a huge fan of Richards.

But if he's going to continue to improve his numbers as he's continually done, I have to echo the sentiments of those who ask "for what? for whom?"    

On 10/28/2016 at 0:55 PM, canoli said:

Even though his ppg is good we've yet to see the fluid, hard-skating BSCHENN of last year. Give him some time to get up to speed and he'll be back on the 1st or 2nd line in no time. The team isn't in sync, the goaltending has been weak to mediocre, BSchenn is the least of my worries right now.

Agreed. Probably because he's just back, he seems a little out of place.  But that's only because the top 3 lines really remain unsettled and parts don't yet seem to mesh together in a fluid way.  Even that's kind of a goofy statement considering the team is 8th in the league in GF/G.   I think you're right on just give him (and the rest of the team, for that matter) some time.

Goaltending has been weak, absolutely.  But they're not getting a hell of a lot of help on a lot of occasions, either.

3 hours ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Agree.  Sadly Schenn and Richards will go hand in hand.  Many look at the comments that where made by Homer at the time of the trade.....

https://www.nhl.com/news/prospect-schenn-could-help-flyers-immediately/c-567047

"When Philadelphia Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren was discussing the returns he got from Thursday's blockbuster trades of Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, he called Brayden Schenn "probably the best young player outside the NHL."

Holmgren isn't the only hockey figure to feel that way about Schenn, and it's a big reason Philadelphia wanted him in the deal that sent Richards, Philadelphia's captain, to the
Los Angeles Kings.

"Brayden Schenn is little bit of a diamond in the rough here," Holmgren said. "Do we take a step back with him? I don't know. He's a tremendous young player and I look forward to seeing him over the next number of years in our organization."

Right there was the kiss of death.  Many would think that by the way Homer spoke, Schenn should have been a 5 time All Star by now.  Also note that Homer said, "Brayden Schenn is little bit of a diamond in the rough here". 

To me that means Schenn had a lot of room to grow.  As was noted somewhere above, Schenn has improved his point totals each of the last few seasons.  Eight games into the season is way too small a sample size to judge Schenn, especially considering he missed the first 3 games due to a suspension.

Sadly as I have mentioned numerous times, many of Flyers fans are simply to impatient with the development of younger players.

1 hour ago, icehole said:

Listen, I get blasted all of the time for not having popular beliefs, but I think you're wrong on schenn.  If you're looking for someone to really dig your claws into, go with Couts...that's where it's at.  Couturier will give you material all season long to criticize.

In all honesty though, if you don't like schenn's game, that's fine, but you can't really argue with his numbers.

MacDonald is #1 on the **** List. He is just awful 

1 minute ago, RJ8812 said:

It's not good when we're arguing who the worst player on the team is.  MacDonald isn't even on my radar though.  He is just bad and there is no hope.  I think we're talking more about players we have hope for but continue to disappoint.

2 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

Do we have a "worst post of the year" award?

I didn't check the time stamp.  Did he write it at a particularly key moment in the first when Schenn may have missed an opportunity or done something stupid?

Maybe he was being sarcastic?  Seems a silly thing to post after such a big night for the kid.  

2 hours ago, canoli said:

BSchenn is the least of my worries right now.

Bingo.  And frankly if he's potting a Point Per Game average...  I don't care what line he's playing on.  

Unless there's some part of Schenn's role that includes making Belly able to keep up with a forward along the boards he's supposed to be checking or getting Ghost to get back into position faster, I'm not sure what to say.  

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

I'm glad you brought this up.  I don't disagree, but I think Mac is taking some unwarranted head on their first goal.  I keep reading that he got toasted and lost his man.  

What really happened was Belly got toasted and Mac was left alone trying to position between a puck carrier and a potential passing target behind the net because Ghost was out of position again.  

The real problem with Mac's play is that he then got toasted by the puck carrier right in front of his own net!  I can't blame him for choosing to stand his ground in that instance, the puck carrier was in fact the more dangerous player in that moment, but when you commit to the puck carrier, YOU'D BETTER SHUT HIM THE HELL DOWN!

I don't know why Schultz wasn't playing.  I think Schultz not playing was a huge mistake and will continue to be so until he starts playing again.  Schultz should be either Ghost or Provo's partner right now and this first goal is a perfect instance of why.  Mac is NOT as bad as everyone says, but he's not good and he's certainly not a stay at home physical defenseman who can compensate for Ghost being out of position so frequently.   

Provo is constantly out of position as well and this is more excusable as he's so damn green.  Obviously it's something both kids have to work on... but there's plenty else to hang on Mac right now. 

4 hours ago, King Knut said:

I'm glad you brought this up.  I don't disagree, but I think Mac is taking some unwarranted head on their first goal.  I keep reading that he got toasted and lost his man.  

What really happened was Belly got toasted and Mac was left alone trying to position between a puck carrier and a potential passing target behind the net because Ghost was out of position again.  

The real problem with Mac's play is that he then got toasted by the puck carrier right in front of his own net!  I can't blame him for choosing to stand his ground in that instance, the puck carrier was in fact the more dangerous player in that moment, but when you commit to the puck carrier, YOU'D BETTER SHUT HIM THE HELL DOWN!

I don't know why Schultz wasn't playing.  I think Schultz not playing was a huge mistake and will continue to be so until he starts playing again.  Schultz should be either Ghost or Provo's partner right now and this first goal is a perfect instance of why.  Mac is NOT as bad as everyone says, but he's not good and he's certainly not a stay at home physical defenseman who can compensate for Ghost being out of position so frequently.   

Provo is constantly out of position as well and this is more excusable as he's so damn green.  Obviously it's something both kids have to work on... but there's plenty else to hang on Mac right now. 

I agree.  Mac takes more bashing than he should, but he's not very good.  I don't know why Schultz gets scratched.  To be honest, he might be the best defensive defenseman on the team.  Everyone wants Karlsson from every defenseman, but you need some balance with some stay at home defense.  

I think the weakest link on D is streit.  He's as bad as Mac, but older and slower.

On 10/28/2016 at 0:56 PM, ruxpin said:

It's really hard to argue with Schenn's numbers.   That said, he really does frustrate the heck out of me.   I can't exactly put my finger on why.   Maybe it's the idiotic comparison to Mike Richards that @fanaticV3.0 mentioned. In my case, I'm not sure that's it because I wasn't a huge fan of Richards.

But if he's going to continue to improve his numbers as he's continually done, I have to echo the sentiments of those who ask "for what? for whom?"    

You are allowed to be frustrated by him. Hartnell regularly scored 20+ goals and frustrated everyone except vis (I kid vis, I kid!). Being frustrated by and wanting him gone are two different things.

As far as him specifically, I do think part of it is the comparison to Richards that people simply can’t let go. It’s not a player’s fault if somebody incorrectly describes what kind of player he is before even playing in the league.

I also think a part of it is that he’s just kind of there. His numbers aren’t bad at all, but he’s not really a standout player.

Archived