Holmgren tried to bring back Lindros

AJgoal

18 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I really miss Holmgren. We could probably have Scott Gomez and Ruslan Fedotenko right now instead of Konecny and Provorov...and our 1st & 2nd rounders for the next decade.

I would have brought Lindros back in......just for 1 day so he could retire a Flyer.

On 11/11/2016 at 5:12 PM, AJgoal said:

Interesting. I remember thinking he looked like he could still be a factor at the alumni game:

http://www.tsn.ca/flyers-offered-lindros-a-comeback-in-2012-1.606040

Wow... he really had no idea what he was doing.  

I've said it over and over again, but that summer was without a doubt the series of catastrophic events that ruined this team and from which it has yet to recover.  

Trading Richards and Carter for a youth movement, but then doubling down on the "win now" mentality of Bryzaster was a head scratcher and caused a lot of problems.  Losing Pronger to Injury caused a lot more problems.  But all of these were problems they were coping with and could recover from with the help of Jagr and the development of the youth they now had.

Losing Jagr and Matt Carle (and the subsequent deals to try to make up for those losses, JVR for Schenn, MacDonald, VLC) was the quicksand filled hole this team could absolutely not dig itself out of and is still struggling to emerge from.

And yes.  I am a broken record.  IF we fail to learn from history, we're doomed to repeat it.  It's as true of stuff like the black plague and WWII as it is in hockey.  

Archived