Kevin Shattenkirk a target of the Flyers?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

If he was such a force of nature that you are making him out to be then why was he and Richards traded?

Urban legends I guess you never heard of the if there is smoke there could be a fire?

Podein is right, this is a Shatty thread. 

I'm removing my response.

On 1/12/2017 at 11:28 AM, King Knut said:

They literally can't invest the money.  They likely won't have the cap room to pay him much more than he's getting now. 

BUT If Shattenkirk wants 10 million a year, then you walk. That's absurd.  No single player is worth that.  Period.  End of discussion.  Let him go.  I disagree.  I think the Flyers could afford 10 million next year if they wanted to.  Streit and Schenn's salaries alone would cover it.  You're also losing 6-7 million in Schultz, Gordon and MDZ that can extend Ghost and try to fill out the loss of Schenn up front.  Affording 10 million next year isn't the problem. It's just a dumb idea to pay a single player that much money.  If another team wants to give it to him, God bless 'em but there but for the grace of God, go we.  

I don't think the blues are that unrealistic about what they'll get for him.  What you're suggesting ain't gonna happen.  No team would give that up for a guy that they know they could just resign in the off season.  

No team that desperately wants him for a cup run can afford to give up one of their top 3 scorers on that run.  

St. Louis can hold out for something like that, but I seriously doubt they'll get it.  He's gone at the end of the season and the Blues won't even be a factor as they have a lot tied up on contracts for a while.  Someone will give them someone good and a first and maybe a third and that'll be the end of it.  Either that or the Blues will just try to make a run with him themselves (but I doubt they'll make that choice).  

Nice post, makes sense from a Flyers perspective. Actually, the whole Shatty (lol) thing makes no sense from a Flyers/Hexy point of view. From the outside looking in, it appears Hexy is undergoing a distinct team building philosophy. I believe (like most) that Hexy will patiently break in our defensemen prospects. Provs this year, probably Morin and Sanheim next year if all goes well, and Myers the after. At least, in a perfect world, that is what I anticipate happening. If I'm following what Hexy is doing, our *window* opens when most of our young d-man start to enter the start of their primes. This gives the org time to find the goalie of the future and allows us to build the offense through the draft, the right way. Signing Shatts flies in the face of this patient rebuild. In short, it's the kinda thing Homer would do, not Hexy.

The whole plan centers around being patient and resisting the urge to add the shiny new toy....even when that new toy is only 28 and has a LOT of his prime left. There is a good chance Provs will be a better all round d-man than Kevin, so patient is key here. e

As far as what Kevin will make, here is a list of the top 50 cap hits in the NHL right now. If you notice, there is 11 d-men in the top 50.....

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/players

The top 11 money making d-men....

1)P.K Subban.....9 mill

2)Shea Weber...7.857

3)Dustin Bufuglein...7.6

4)Gary Suter...7.538

5)Kris Letang....7.250

6)Drew Doughty...7.0

7)Dion Phaneuf...7.0

8)Brent Seabrooke...6.875

9)Alex Pietrangelo....6.5

10)Eric Karlsson....6.5

11)Kieth Yandle...6.375

If you check the top 50 and cross reference the red UFA players, there is no member of the top 11 d-men due to become a UFA in the next 2 years, the closest is Doughty 3 years from now. So, this effects the value of Kevin Shattenkirk, due to basic law and demand. If you want a star d-man and don't want to trade for him Kevin becomes the only game in town. This should significantly up his value on the open market.

When you factor in the scarcity of star UFA d-men and the fact Kevin is just entering his prime, and should have a full 6 years or so of prime years left after he signs his new deal. This is kinda unique, usually the UFA's are going for that one last pay day and are a few years past 30.

Thing is, there can and will be a bidding war, so a team with a lot of cap space is gonna end up overpaying to secure his services. Toronto, is the perfect fit, they will have over 25 mill under the cap next summer and really need a guy like Shatts. With apologies to Morgan Riely, Shatts is way better on the pp point and also lugs the puck up the ice more proficiently.

Kevin is better all round than P.K, is considerably younger than Weber and also a better pure d-man than Big Buff, who is basically a forward trying not to screw up in his own end. I can really see 9.5 to 10 mill for Kevin on the free market. The laws of supply and demand and a bidding war can do wonders for a players value.

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Nice post, makes sense from a Flyers perspective. Actually, the whole Shatty (lol) thing makes no sense from a Flyers/Hexy point of view. From the outside looking in, it appears Hexy is undergoing a distinct team building philosophy. I believe (like most) that Hexy will patiently break in our defensemen prospects. Provs this year, probably Morin and Sanheim next year if all goes well, and Myers the after. At least, in a perfect world, that is what I anticipate happening. If I'm following what Hexy is doing, our *window* opens when most of our young d-man start to enter the start of their primes. This gives the org time to find the goalie of the future and allows us to build the offense through the draft, the right way. Signing Shatts flies in the face of this patient rebuild. In short, it's the kinda thing Homer would do, not Hexy.

The whole plan centers around being patient and resisting the urge to add the shiny new toy....even when that new toy is only 28 and has a LOT of his prime left. There is a good chance Provs will be a better all round d-man than Kevin, so patient is key here. e

As far as what Kevin will make, here is a list of the top 50 cap hits in the NHL right now. If you notice, there is 11 d-men in the top 50.....

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/players

The top 11 money making d-men....

1)P.K Subban.....9 mill

2)Shea Weber...7.857

3)Dustin Bufuglein...7.6

4)Gary Suter...7.538

5)Kris Letang....7.250

6)Drew Doughty...7.0

7)Dion Phaneuf...7.0

8)Brent Seabrooke...6.875

9)Alex Pietrangelo....6.5

10)Eric Karlsson....6.5

11)Kieth Yandle...6.375

If you check the top 50 and cross reference the red UFA players, there is no member of the top 11 d-men due to become a UFA in the next 2 years, the closest is Doughty 3 years from now. So, this effects the value of Kevin Shattenkirk, due to basic law and demand. If you want a star d-man and don't want to trade for him Kevin becomes the only game in town. This should significantly up his value on the open market.

When you factor in the scarcity of star UFA d-men and the fact Kevin is just entering his prime, and should have a full 6 years or so of prime years left after he signs his new deal. This is kinda unique, usually the UFA's are going for that one last pay day and are a few years past 30.

Thing is, there can and will be a bidding war, so a team with a lot of cap space is gonna end up overpaying to secure his services. Toronto, is the perfect fit, they will have over 25 mill under the cap next summer and really need a guy like Shatts. With apologies to Morgan Riely, Shatts is way better on the pp point and also lugs the puck up the ice more proficiently.

Kevin is better all round than P.K, is considerably younger than Weber and also a better pure d-man than Big Buff, who is basically a forward trying not to screw up in his own end. I can really see 9.5 to 10 mill for Kevin on the free market. The laws of supply and demand and a bidding war can do wonders for a players value.

just not sure who's going to have that kind of cap room. 

Edmonton, Ottawa, Winnipeg maybe? But can they afford that even if they fit under the cap?

the flip side of the plan above as far as I can see is that Giroux et al have maybe 4 years of prime play left.  Then while the d may be amazing, the front 6 will be sorely lacking. 

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

just not sure who's going to have that kind of cap room. 

Edmonton, Ottawa, Winnipeg maybe? But can they afford that even if they fit under the cap?

the flip side of the plan above as far as I can see is that Giroux et al have maybe 4 years of prime play left.  Then while the d may be amazing, the front 6 will be sorely lacking. 

If Elliote Friedman is to be believed, the Oilers had an offer in place last season for Shattenkirk, and he wouldn't talk extension: he wanted a to play for a US-based team in the northeast.

7 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

If Elliote Friedman is to be believed, the Oilers had an offer in place last season for Shattenkirk, and he wouldn't talk extension: he wanted a to play for a US-based team in the northeast.

Well then. Hope he's willing to take a smaller deal or he's going to thbe devils.  He should really spend some time in newArk first. 

On 1/12/2017 at 11:23 AM, King Knut said:

Right?  He's one of the league's premiere D-men.  This is the kind of guy you hope Sanheim or Provo can turn into.  

And we're looking at a team in which a 19 year old is the #1 D man and on which MacDonald and Gudas will be the only vets next year.    This deal makes some serious sense.

Again, for me it's all contingent on signing him and what that'll take, and then Hextall's going to have to work OT to get someone to put the puck in the net... but I think you've got to at least listen to this one and weigh your options.  

There is no way that I’m passing on a player like that just because a winger might be a bigger need. For all the reasons that you and I stated, it’s actually really important to get a consistent and reliable veteran player on the blue line.

Archived