Poulin20

Nice.

I have being the Flyers MVP so far this season.

Been really impressed with him on the PK.

Best contract on the Flyers.

If not the league (excluding entry level deals) all he has done is lead the Flyers in goal scoring every year he had been here, except maybe his first.

15 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

Congrats to Wayne Simmonds 2017 NHL All star MVP with 3 goals and the GWG in the finals!  

Take a bow big fella; way to represent the Orange and Black!  :flyers:

SHowed some serious skill, poise and patience in those goals on Price.  Maybe he picked up a few tricks over the weekend he can bring back.  

15 hours ago, hf101 said:

Congrats to Simmer!

I have to wonder if the Metro still wins this if Gretzky isn't Coach?

Thanks a good point as the reversal of that goal was very timely.  Also that was the first time I ever supported Gretzky and Crosby in anything and it felt quite nasty honestly but I wanted to see success for Simmer which ended up happening in the end.

33 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Stuff like this makes me wonder what are good players – and team – would look like  if we had some great players  around them. They have a decent core, but could really benefit from some elite talent.

It's a good point.  The core gets bashed a lot; I see them play live often and you can see their talent jumping off the ice at you, however they are definitely weighed down by the anchors assembled around them.  In an attempt to lead they take it all on themselves to do stuff and then end up making a bad error which leads to a goal and anger from the fans.  I am sure Hexy knows that he needs to build a supporting cast around these guys but does not have the cap space to get anyone to make an impact at this time and thus adds duds like Weise and Gordon.  

26 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

It's a good point.  The core gets bashed a lot; I see them play live often and you can see their talent jumping off the ice at you, however they are definitely weighed down by the anchors assembled around them.  In an attempt to lead they take it all on themselves to do stuff and then end up making a bad error which leads to a goal and anger from the fans.  I am sure Hexy knows that he needs to build a supporting cast around these guys but does not have the cap space to get anyone to make an impact at this time and thus adds duds like Weise and Gordon.  

I'm not gonna pretend I watched all of or even most of the game – All-Star games tend to suck – but watching him play with the league talent really makes you wonder. We have several "good" players, but we really don't have any talent at the level of a lot of other teams. We need some next level talent. I worry by the time we get some Simmonds, Jake, and G will be overpaid and underperforming.

22 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

I'm not gonna pretend I watched all of or even most of the game – All-Star games tend to suck – but watching him play with the league talent really makes you wonder.

The game(s) didn't "suck" as much as they "weren't hockey."

My significant other is a relatively new convert to the game and she was complaining about the massive amounts of goal scoring within a few minutes. "This is just ridiculous" she said. And she was right.

22 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

We have several "good" players, but we really don't have any talent at the level of a lot of other teams. We need some next level talent. I worry by the time we get some Simmonds, Jake, and G will be overpaid and underperforming.

Really depends on what they wind up re-signing Simmonds for because, as it is, he's the best value on the team in hockey.

As for the other two, an argument could easily be made that that is already happening...

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

The game(s) didn't "suck" as much as they "weren't hockey."

My significant other is a relatively new convert to the game and she was complaining about the massive amounts of goal scoring within a few minutes. "This is just ridiculous" she said. And she was right.

Really depends on what they wind up re-signing Simmonds for because, as it is, he's the best value on the team in hockey.

As for the other two, an argument could easily be made that that is already happening...

Am I nuts or was it 3-on-3? I watched the opening ceremony, which was painful, and the last few minutes of the last game. And speaking of multiple games, what the hell is that? 4 teams? When did that change occur?

They are in such a bizarre spot imo. The real young guys aren't quite there yet, but we need them to be unless we plan to part with any one, two, or all of the main three. They kind of need to get better very soon or start trading. I hate to say it, because there's no guarantee, but it might be time to move on from G, Jake and Simmonds and pile up more picks and prospects. That makes me nervous, because I think they are a long ways off if they choose that route, whereas if they keep those three  and acquire some elite talent in the next year or two, I think they have a better chance of competing.

It was 3-on-3. Each division has its own team. The two divisions from each conference play each other for 20 minutes. The winners play each other for 20 minutes. Then a division wins (this year the Metropolitan).

The winners split:

It was not "hockey" as we know it in any meaningful sense.

Happened, I think, last year,

27 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

They are in such a bizarre spot imo. The real young guys aren't quite there yet, but we need them to be unless we plan to part with any one, two, or all of the main three. They kind of need to get better very soon or start trading. I hate to say it, because there's no guarantee, but it might be time to move on from G, Jake and Simmonds and pile up more picks and prospects. That makes me nervous, because I think they are a long ways off if they choose that route, whereas if they keep those three  and acquire some elite talent in the next year or two, I think they have a better chance of competing.

I think this core still has a chance to "compete for the Stanley Cup" but they have a LOT to get over before that happens - specifically other teams in the Metro but also in the League.

They're right now clinging to the last Wild Card spot, but fifth in the Metro with every team they are following having games in hand on them. The Leafs - God help us, The Leafs - are a point behind with three games in hand.

I also am not sure how they "acquire elite talent" with what they have. "Elite talent" isn't making it to FA these days - it's getting dealt for and signed or simply re-signed by the current team. The Flyers will have to deal from their defensive depth to do so. Or tread water for a few more seasons...

Essentially, I worry that they become the St. Louis Blues from 1979 through 2004 - making the playoffs every year but only getting to two Conference Finals in 24 seasons.

There just may come a time when it's time to stop cutting bait and fish for a good trade offer. And what really bugs me is that with the ridiculous deals to the VeeGees, it's Simmonds that has the most obvious trade value.

43 minutes ago, radoran said:

It was 3-on-3. Each division has its own team. The two divisions from each conference play each other Winning division team in the skills competition chooses who they play and whether they play the first game or the second.   

Fixed.

The Atlantic won the skills competition and chose to play the Metropolitan division in the second game.  That meant the Central division played the West in the first game.  

4 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Fixed.

The Atlantic won the skills competition and chose to play the Metropolitan division in the second game.  That meant the Central division played the West in the first game.  

Sweet Jeebus.

:cheers:

On 1/30/2017 at 2:43 PM, radoran said:

It was 3-on-3. Each division has its own team. The two divisions from each conference play each other for 20 minutes. The winners play each other for 20 minutes. Then a division wins (this year the Metropolitan).

The winners split:

It was not "hockey" as we know it in any meaningful sense.

Happened, I think, last year,

I think this core still has a chance to "compete for the Stanley Cup" but they have a LOT to get over before that happens - specifically other teams in the Metro but also in the League.

They're right now clinging to the last Wild Card spot, but fifth in the Metro with every team they are following having games in hand on them. The Leafs - God help us, The Leafs - are a point behind with three games in hand.

I also am not sure how they "acquire elite talent" with what they have. "Elite talent" isn't making it to FA these days - it's getting dealt for and signed or simply re-signed by the current team. The Flyers will have to deal from their defensive depth to do so. Or tread water for a few more seasons...

Essentially, I worry that they become the St. Louis Blues from 1979 through 2004 - making the playoffs every year but only getting to two Conference Finals in 24 seasons.

There just may come a time when it's time to stop cutting bait and fish for a good trade offer. And what really bugs me is that with the ridiculous deals to the VeeGees, it's Simmonds that has the most obvious trade value.

Prizes too?! For millionaires? Unreal.

I think this core has a chance too, but I don’t know where they get the elite players from either and the clock is ticking. The sad part is that if the reverse happens, G, Jake, or Simmonds gets traded to a team that already has that type of talent I could easily see them winning a cup. Lack of elite talent has been a problem  for a long time. They generally "always" have a good team, but are almost never of that special level.

Archived