Hextall the Patsy

caluso

8 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

When you put it like that, it makes me realize how much the Flyers have flat out sucked on offense this year. 

They're TERRIBLE this year.  Especially even strength.  Take last night.  They shut them out 4-0 but scored a grand total of ONE even strength goal and they just sent that guy back to the AHL.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, icehole said:

OK ok...I'm starting to see a silver lining!

I love how you guys think moving the most effective even strength player this team has in the off season is the silver lining... and you think Hextall is the fool.  

The only logic I can see is we pick up a 4th and a 7th this year...we get a stopgap for a season (albeit an expensive one, but it's just one year) that we can maybe flip for another pick next deadline...which hopefully has a deeper draft?

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

They're TERRIBLE this year.  Especially even strength.  Take last night.  They shut them out 4-0 but scored a grand total of ONE even strength goal and they just sent that guy back to the AHL.

Wait.. you're saying "score even strength" goals???? comeon man!!! LOLOLOLOL  You need SKILL to do that!  They have none except simmer.  My god i wish we had 8 other simmers.. 

Just now, King Knut said:

I love how you guys think moving the most effective even strength player this team has in the off season is the silver lining... and you think Hextall is the fool.  

I don't want to fight about couturier today...I just can't handle it right now.  I just don't like him and I want him off the team.  I was actually waiting for that to happen when they traded for a center, but that never happened.

So if couturier is moved in the off-season, I'm fine with what happened today.

8 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I really wish people would exchange Hextall for Homer today - Homer would be vilified for this deal.  Hextall's "blind faith" portion of the fanbase just can't admit that today was ugly.

Why would Homer be Villified for this deal?  And BTW, all I see is Hextall being vilified for it.  Who's defending him? 

I'm the closest I see and I'm just saying, "Meh" It's a "Meh" deal.  it's not good.  But it's certainly not bad.  It's just "meh".  At it's absolute worst it really starts to look like Yzerman asked Hextall to do him a solid and Hextall said, "sure, what the hell..." 

You're all acting like Hextall traded away Provo for Peter Forsberg's ghost or something.  It's not that big of a deal.  It makes the team slightly better than it was and costs them nothing.  

Are you all seriously this upset because Hextall made a relatively pointless deal that makes the team only a tiny bit better in the short term?  What kind of miracle were you expecting?  

It's a "meh" deal that means very very little but will probably make the offense slightly better at even strength.   Who cares THIS much?

Hextall seems all hot bothered by picking up Filp so let me ask a question.  If Hexy really brought him in for the playoff push did he look at his scoring?   This Team is inept at 5 v 5 hockey and this still does not solve the problem.   To boot, we also need to protect this guy in the expansion draft...   I dont even get the "hockey" part of this.   

5 minutes ago, icehole said:

I don't want to fight about couturier today...I just can't handle it right now.  I just don't like him and I want him off the team.  I was actually waiting for that to happen when they traded for a center, but that never happened.

So if couturier is moved in the off-season, I'm fine with what happened today.

This kills me.  If you only knew how silly this sounds. 

I used to think Philly fans were more informed than some other teams...  nowadays, I just don't know anymore.  

MEDIOCRITY. This trade ensures they pick after 10 in the draft. I think they are afraid to have a lottery pick so they won"t be embarrassed if they get another JVR. Detroit, rebuild, Tampa, retool, Dallas, retool, Vancouver, rebuild, Arizona, rebuild, Flyers, WTFK. (who the f*&^ knows). Go back to la la land Ron. You **** the bed today.

1 minute ago, flyer4ever said:

MEDIOCRITY. This trade ensures they pick after 10 in the draft. I think they are afraid to have a lottery pick so they won"t be embarrassed if they get another JVR. Detroit, rebuild, Tampa, retool, Dallas, retool, Vancouver, rebuild, Arizona, rebuild, Flyers, WTFK. (who the f*&^ knows). Go back to la la land Ron. You **** the bed today.

Top 2 picks are the only good ones this year.. everyone after that can go from 1st to 2nd round lol mediocre JUST LIKE THIS GD TEAM!  

This kills me.  If you only knew how silly this sounds. 

I used to think Philly fans were more informed than some other teams...  nowadays, I just don't know anymore.  

You and I are not that different...I feel the same way about flyers fan knowledge.

I want to debate couturier with you but I just cant do it right now.  By you saying "most effective even strength player", I know I won't change you're mind so I don't feel like trying right now.

8 minutes ago, peter679 said:

Wait.. you're saying "score even strength" goals???? comeon man!!! LOLOLOLOL  You need SKILL to do that!  They have none except simmer.  My god i wish we had 8 other simmers.. 

I'm saying that Filppula is tied for the 5th most even strength goals on the Flyers and has more even strength assists than anyone else on the Flyers.  

I'm saying the Flyers have a serious team wide problem in their play at even strength.  They don't score and they give up a lot of goals at even strength.  

From a statistical standpoint, Filppula automatically makes them better at even strength, especially if he plays LW which it seems like he will with Weal being sent down.  

If we had 8 Simmers we'd have 3 Stanley Cups by now.  We don't.  No one does.  I'm not downplaying anyone.  I'm saying something slightly more complicated than that.  

6 minutes ago, icehole said:

You and I are not that different...I feel the same way about flyers fan knowledge.

I want to debate couturier with you but I just cant do it right now.  By you saying "most effective even strength player", I know I won't change you're mind so I don't feel like trying right now.

Let's get back to it when you've recovered.  

Why would Homer be Villified for this deal?  And BTW, all I see is Hextall being vilified for it.  Who's defending him? 

apparently you are....   

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Are you all seriously this upset because Hextall made a relatively pointless deal that makes the team only a tiny bit better in the short term?  What kind of miracle were you expecting?  

nobody is expecting miracles....   but this move is a head scracther.  He simply HELPED out TB for nothing.   If Hextall really thinks Filp is a 2C I believe Hextall needs to be removed from Vorhees immediately.   I brought this up before:  we cant score 5 vs 5 and this does not help.   We added a 5th passer to the top 6...   I dont see this making us all that much better frankly.  We traded for another vet making way too much money.   

You are right... it is a short term thing.   The bigger question is how Hexy has handled trades and signings up to this point.  People have sincere questions about some of his moves and that is completely normal.   

I don't like it at all....  I would rather have Couts as the #2 for 2 years to see if he actually can score.  Couts has two more goals in 10 less games.  Or, try and deal for cheaper stop-gap in the offseason.  Filp can be a nice setup guy but we have enough of those.  

Last, we also have to protect him in the expansion which is ridiculous.  

2 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm saying that Filppula is tied for the 5th most even strength goals on the Flyers and has more even strength assists than anyone else on the Flyers.  

I'm saying the Flyers have a serious team wide problem in their play at even strength.  They don't score and they give up a lot of goals at even strength.  

From a statistical standpoint, Filppula automatically makes them better at even strength, especially if he plays LW which it seems like he will with Weal being sent down.  

If we had 8 Simmers we'd have 3 Stanley Cups by now.  We don't.  No one does.  I'm not downplaying anyone.  I'm saying something slightly more complicated than that.  

I agree with you.. but once he gets with these guys, he'll score maybe 1 even strength goal the rest of the season.  I think there are so many holes on this team that there is no hope.  This team needs an enema! It really needs to make serious changes, not retool, blow it up!  Where is Sam Hinkie????? lol  I have no problem with being patient with this team if they go zero up.  I'd rather have 8 great years than 2 years in 2 out, 2 in and 2 out...

And Obviously the 8 simmers was in just, wouldn't happen.  

14 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

The only logic I can see is we pick up a 4th and a 7th this year...we get a stopgap for a season (albeit an expensive one, but it's just one year) that we can maybe flip for another pick next deadline...which hopefully has a deeper draft?

Yeah exactly, flip Filp (Christ, it's not everyday you can write that!) at the deadline next year when he's UFA.

At 33 with his track record (over 400 points in the NHL, smart, skilled, versatile). He easily gets you a 3rd or a 2nd (unless the wheels fall off in Philly driving his value down - but what are the chances of that happening?:NinjaLookLeftRight1: )

I'm not thrilled with the deal, but it's not the end of the world. Hell, maybe he can teach our forwards how to play 5-on-5, 'cause Hakstol apparently can't!

On on dead line day you can't make deals if no one wants to dance with you .

You just give players away for nothing,I bet Hexy didn't get any offers worth trading Mdz or shultz.

Not saying I.m with this deal he did get two draft picks ..

picked up some cap space  moved to forward line a vet player..

and yes  I forgot the ninja ...

7 minutes ago, King Knut said:

FYI...Weal was a paper move in insure he could play for LV the rest of this year, and the playoffs.  If he wasn't on the roster, he was ineligible.  IMO, he'll be back up tomorrow.  

1 minute ago, intheslot said:

On on dead line day you can't make deals if no one wants to dance with you .

You just give players away for nothing,I bet Hexy didn't get any offers worth trading Mdz or shultz.

Not saying I.m with this deal he did get two draft picks ..

picked up some cap space  moved to forward line a vet player..

and yes  I forgot the ninja ...

actually, I think they lost cap space.   They are paying 5 % of Streit's deal and took 5M back for another year.   

14 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

This trade ensures they pick after 10 in the draft.

That is probably the main downside to it actually. The cap will sort itself out over the next two years, this doesn't really change that. 

1 minute ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

FYI...Weal was a paper move in insure he could play for LV the rest of this year, and the playoffs.  If he wasn't on the roster, he was ineligible.  IMO, he'll be back up tomorrow.  

with Raff on the shelf I would like to see the kid get more time.   He has played well....

30 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Just now, DaGreatGazoo said:

This is the part I hate.  They now risk losing a young player, cause they have to protect him.  Don't like that...at all.

Per Hextall, Filppula's no-movement clause DOES carry over to the Flyers

Expose him, Vegas isn't going to take him.

Archived