It's not just us about VandeVelde

DaGreatGazoo

To me Vandevelde is a perfect 13th forward. Cheap, fairly reliable, if unimpressive, able to fill in for a game in a pinch. But I hope Hextall doesn't bring him back, because I don't think Hakstol could keep him out of the lineup.

You can't tell me Bellemare - Cousins - Weise/Lyubimov is a worse 4th line than VDV - Bellemare - Lyubimov.

And for the PK you still have Simmonds, Couturier, Read, Bellemare, Lyubimov (one of the top Russian PKers before coming over), Filppula, and Giroux if you get in a pinch.

It blows the mind.  Like you said, an "eye test" from the fans can see this.  How can't the coach?  One stat in vandevelde's favor is that he played for ND...that is all.  That is the only thing I can think of to get him on the ice every night.

I don't think it's the reason they suck by any means however i think it goes to show you what i was talking about it the "It's time..." thread it is a way of Hak controlling the team and having one of "his guys" out there.

At least till the end of the season and Hak can get some of his coaches in here which he needs.

Someone who has played for him and knows how he wants things done.

The bad side of this is the one he has chosen who knows his way is very limited in his skillset...without Hak (and Hextall) he wouldn't even be in the NHL i believe.

Like AJ has stated i hope it has run it's course after this year and he is shown the door. Leier or Laughton could take his roster spot next year and do the same and i believe they will add some more goals back there.

The entire 4th line is soft and add nothing. None of them can hit, win face-offs, win battles, step up into the top-9 if needed or even kill penalties well. In the NHL today, you need your depth players to be able to add something more to the team than just being a body on the bench. You need a solid 3rd/4th line if you want to make Cup runs because those are the players that do all the dirty work to allow your top players to do their job.

Our bottom-6 does not/cannot do that 

10 hours ago, AJgoal said:

To me Vandevelde is a perfect 13th forward. Cheap, fairly reliable, if unimpressive, able to fill in for a game in a pinch. But I hope Hextall doesn't bring him back, because I don't think Hakstol could keep him out of the lineup.

You can't tell me Bellemare - Cousins - Weise/Lyubimov is a worse 4th line than VDV - Bellemare - Lyubimov.

And for the PK you still have Simmonds, Couturier, Read, Bellemare, Lyubimov (one of the top Russian PKers before coming over), Filppula, and Giroux if you get in a pinch.

Your so right on so many levels.

Yeah, he brings nothing to the table and clearly isn't improving according to his Corsi numbers. Some are just the coaches guys. He was a Fighting Sioux, so I guess that has something to do with it. So...what did we get for Ryan White again?  This team misses White's physicality and tenacity on that 4th line.

On 3/15/2017 at 9:41 AM, DaGreatGazoo said:

Some pretty compelling numbers here.  More support for what a simple eye test has been telling most Flyers fans about CVV...for a while now.

http://sonsofpenn.com/chris-vandevelde-dave-hakstol-over-reliance-analysis-stats/

I've got no love for VDV but most of their arguments re: Corsi and Goals for could be made against every member of this team at even strength. 

KOnecny and COuturier are this team's best players at even strength.  Even Jake who is clearly a part of more goals is on the ice for more goals against than for. 

The real problem with VDV and PEB to me seems to be each other. 

Maybe PEB belongs on the top line like we saw last night. (Ok maybe not)

They just don't belong together for the minutes they've been getting. 

And its it's not just quantity, it's quality of minutes. 

We see them in OT, we see them when they're down a goal with 5 more matches left, we see them when the team seems to build some momentum and then it dieswhen they hop over the boards.  

It's a bit of an intangible, but I think there's a psychology and rhythm to coaching and switching lines and who you put out when and Hak just doesn't have that touch yet.  I mean has the guy ever taken a timeout?  

He's experimenting a lot so I guess the argument could be made that he's in the midst of a learning process, but the learning curve is about to get a lot more steep. 

This us team has to show improvement of some sort next year or windows will start to close. 

Unless there's another generational player coming and the flyers get lucky enough to win the lottery (we all know how that worked out the last time).

No doubt the fact VDV played for Hak/ND is a huge reason he is in the lineup every night. He is also a "good guy to have in the room" so I expect Hakstol will add him to his coaching staff next season. Flyers PP coach: Chris VandeVelde, doesn't that have a nice ring to it? :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Archived